Typhon Question for those of you with experience.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midad04

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Been a Nitro guy my whole life, currently running a Losi 8ight-t nitro and just picked up a Typhon 3s after I saw how much fun my son was having with the Typhon mega I picked up for him. I bought two 2s (6000mah)80C graphene and one 3s (5200mah)50c batteries. The 2s batteries seem to last anywhere from 20-30 minutes, While the 3s battery seems to only last about 10 or so. I am also experiencing what seems to be very brief disconnects between the receiver and the car throughout the entire battery pack. Can anyone shed any light on what I am experiencing?

Last edited:
a lot of members seem to blame this on the poor standard transmitter, general advice is to change it.
i figured it is the transmitter, but my son has zero issues with his Typhon mega

If your 8ight-T is the RTR version, it would've came with the DX2-E transmitter with a, I believe a SR-315 receiver?? My point is, get rid of the STX2 transmitter and receiver SRX200 because, that receiver and transmitter combo sucks. Along with, the srx200 receiver only works with the stx2. Get another DSMR receiver and use your DX2-E.
My suggestion, the cheap way, if you want switch back and forth between your Typhon and the 8ight with out having to rebind everytime, upgrade to the dx5c with a receiver...I'm sure others on this forum will give you ideas since, I switched my systems to Futaba...l also have a 8ight-T Nitro along with other vehicles...
Hope this posting helps...

If your 8ight-T is the RTR version, it would've came with the DX2-E transmitter with a, I believe a SR-315 receiver?? My point is, get rid of the STX2 transmitter and receiver SRX200 because, that receiver and transmitter combo sucks. Along with, the srx200 receiver only works with the stx2. Get another DSMR receiver and use your DX2-E.
My suggestion, the cheap way, if you want switch back and forth between your Typhon and the 8ight with out having to rebind everytime, upgrade to the dx5c with a receiver...I'm sure others on this forum will give you ideas since, I switched my systems to Futaba...l also have a 8ight-T Nitro along with other vehicles...
Hope this posting helps...
Thanks for all the insight, I really appreciate it. It does appear that the transmitter that came with my losi can be bound to two receivers at the same time. That being said, The dx2e active has the throttle limiting control which I like, as some of the places i will be running my car full 3s is just too quick. or are there other model radio's(that are not mega bucks) that you would recommend?

@midad04 the dx2e can not be bind/bound to 2 receivers at the same time...you will have to rebind to that receiver when you switch vehicles. Even if both receivers are dsmr. Thats why I suggested to get the DX5C with a receiver because then, on the the dx5c, you could save multiple receiver protocols and switch back and forth without rebinding....

I was specifically talking about the "DX2E Active" which says it does support multiple profiles, but it required a Bluetooth addon module and a phone app. not my cup of tea. I do not really want to spend half the price of the car on a radio.

Thanks for all the insight, I really appreciate it. It does appear that the transmitter that came with my losi can be bound to two receivers at the same time. That being said, The dx2e active has the throttle limiting control which I like, as some of the places i will be running my car full 3s is just too quick. or are there other model radio's(that are not mega bucks) that you would recommend?

There a loads of kinda cheap chinese TX's out there.. Never used any myself so far..
But from whats out there on YT..
DumboRC - real cheap, looong range, binds multiple RX's (also real cheap) yet there is no model memory
Flysky also has some great models.. Quitte a lot of guys here use those.. Hope they pitch in on this
Tactic TTX300 - if you can find one.. Thats the old radio the Arrma RTR's came with.. For a RTR radio is good! If it wasnt for running multiple trucks, i would have still be running it..

About your kids truck.. You say the TX/RX doesn't have the same issue's you describe your one has..
Prob it does.. But due to bein a kid (prob his first struck also?), so not havin a comparison and the mega not havin the speed and punch in it.. He prob doesn't acknowledge it bein there..
If thats not the case.. And you drove the mega.. He might be real lucky.. Try swapping the TX/RX over to your 3s.. And test it again..

Mike,

My kid was running a older ofna violator nitro car last summer that someone gave me. Due to issues finding parts for it, and the fact that the engine was fairly well worn out, I picked him up the mega on a whim because it cost me far less than retail, so he has a bit of experience. I have driven the mega and not noticed any issues with it cutting out. I also ended up watching a lot of videos and reviews last night and ordered a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FS2U86G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 seems to be a decently well reviewed tx/rx combo for the price. The one other thing I have noticed about both of the Arrma's is the steering trim constantly needing to be adjusted. I am hoping that goes away with the new tx/rx, and if it does, I will probably order my son a flysky as well.

Mike,

My kid was running a older ofna violator nitro car last summer that someone gave me. Due to issues finding parts for it, and the fact that the engine was fairly well worn out, I picked him up the mega on a whim because it cost me far less than retail, so he has a bit of experience. I have driven the mega and not noticed any issues with it cutting out. I also ended up watching a lot of videos and reviews last night and ordered a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FS2U86G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 seems to be a decently well reviewed tx/rx combo for the price. The one other thing I have noticed about both of the Arrma's is the steering trim constantly needing to be adjusted. I am hoping that goes away with the new tx/rx, and if it does, I will probably order my son a flysky as well.

That TX/RX is a good pick!

The problem with the steering trim could prob be caused by the weak Arrma servo.. And the fact it wont come back to neutral position that wel..
Eventually it will quit on you..

Regarding the short run time on the 3s packs, for a while there have been many members posting that they were experiencing low run times with the BLX100 Esc trucks and I've noticed it's mostly mentioned when running 3s. It seems the cause of this is premature low voltage cutoff when the voltage sags under load for a brief moment triggering the ESC low voltage shut off. Some have contacted horizon hobby and ask for a replacement and some even get free upgrades to the BLX 120 ESC which is 3 to 4s s capable but can't run to 2s, so FYI. Most threads I've seen have mentioned that their warranty replacements seem to have the same issue at this time, but supposedly this is being addressed in a firmware update at the factory to prevent the issue from continuing further, however this is just something that I've seen mentioned here on the forum so I can't say for sure.

One of the workarounds others have been using is switching the ESC for NiMH mode and using an external low voltage battery alarm connected to the balance plug. The alarm chirps when voltage is low to signal you to stop and switch packs. If you decide to try this out for yourself use a low voltage cutoff alarm on your lipo or be super diligent in checking the voltage after 10 minutes of run time. You run the risk of going below lipo threshold voltage if you're not careful and that can lead to damage to your lipo.

@midad04 the dx2e can not be bind/bound to 2 receivers at the same time...you will have to rebind to that receiver when you switch vehicles. Even if both receivers are dsmr. Thats why I suggested to get the DX5C with a receiver because then, on the the dx5c, you could save multiple receiver protocols and switch back and forth without rebinding....

Back when I had my DX2E radios, I had one DX2e bound to two RX. No issue*. That was the plan vanilla DX2E. Now, one RX cannot be bound to two TX, AFAIK.

*OK, Minor issue. No Model memory, so I have to reset the steering center when I changed models...

Suchtragedy,
thanks for the reply, I will have to run my 3s pack a few more times and see what the voltage is at when the esc cuts out. if it is in fact the esc causing issues would either of these be suitable replacements? https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/quicrun-10bl120-esc?variant=2139725987868, https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max10-sct?variant=20187925828
Kind of thinking the first as there is no need to run the car on 4s, its stupid fast on 3s.

Jerry-Rigged,
I thought that was the case, but I really like the ability to set a throttle limit, and the dx2e does not have that feature, so I ordered a radio.

Suchtragedy,
thanks for the reply, I will have to run my 3s pack a few more times and see what the voltage is at when the esc cuts out. if it is in fact the esc causing issues would either of these be suitable replacements? https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/quicrun-10bl120-esc?variant=2139725987868, https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max10-sct?variant=20187925828
Kind of thinking the first as there is no need to run the car on 4s, its stupid fast on 3s.

Jerry-Rigged,
I thought that was the case, but I really like the ability to set a throttle limit, and the dx2e does not have that feature, so I ordered a radio.
Either would be fine is your plan to stay 2-3s. The BLX100/120s are basically the neutered versions of the max10 and max10 SCT just FYI, difference is in the firmware flash arrma uses which locks out certain parameters that are normally accessible in the Hobbywing oem versions.

Thank you all for your help. I have confirmed that the lvc is kicking in way to high on 3s packs 11.7 - 11.95 volts usually closer to 11.7. That would explain the dismal run times on 3s. Between that and the wonky transmitter and steering servo I am going to call my LHS on Monday and inquire about returning it as defective, as well as contacting Arrma and seeing what they can do to help me out.

I think the LVC issue was fixed with newer models. My granite is 4 weeks old and the car starts driving slowly indicating lvc at 3.4 volts per cell on 3s so 10.2volt for the pack based on my 3 pack ran on the car so far.... I get around 30 minutes of drive time but I am using 50% of throttle now. I suppose it's just the case of firmware update, hopefully

It definitely sounds like LVC. I had the same problem with the BLX100. I could run mine on 3S, but with the throttle limit way down, and it would run the full pack down. 3S at full throttle would trigger the premature LVC. I think it happens because it gets hotter on 3S.

did you contact Arrma about it? What solution did they propose?

I will try running my car at 100% now as see what happens!

id like to point out that you should not be relying on a switch to determine how fast the car will go.. it can only go as fast as you tell it through your finger.. throttle control is a must no matter what rig...?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back