Question for those with both 1/10th and larger scale rc’s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainger40

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Senton 3s
My question is what’s the most fun for guys that have “small” and “large” scale. What do you drive the most? Bigger rigs are bigger money, but what about repairs, are they easier to break and more expensive to fix? I’ve got a 3s Senton and granite and I absolutely love them. Plenty fast, arguably too fast, easy to work on, and cheap to fix. Always thought the larger scale rigs were cool, but never had a real itch for one, but that’s really changing. I find myself really wanting the new 8s outcast bad or maybe the exb. So what’s been the experience of you with both.

They're all fun to me, mostly run 10 scale around the house and in the street. 8 scale in wide open areas, too many kids, cars, and pets around home make them more dangerous in my neighborhood. Bigger rigs cost more all way around, wouldn't say they break easier but that's subjective, the harder you push them, the more that can go wrong, but I would have to say the 6s trucks are tougher than the 3/4S rigs.

Once you jump into 6s you will be hooked, they are wicked fast and the right size for me. Haven't jumped into the 5th scale scene, don't know if that's my cup of tea but still dig them. The EXB is awesome but already have a K6S, I would recommend getting one for several reasons.

Go for the OC8S if that's what you like, they are much more costly initially and weigh a ton compared to smaller rigs. You will also need a couple pairs of 4s lipos also. If you have the coin that's no big deal, but something to think about if you don't. Whatever you end up with have fun, that's what its all about!!

1/16-1/14 scale for front yard bashing
1/10 for down the street bashing
and 1/8 for open area bashing

I like the weight of the 1/8th scale. I feel the 1/10s can get tossed around too easily (good and bad?) As far as repair costs..gotta go into this hobby knowing it's a money pit. My 1/10 is now discontinued so I just have one money pit instead of two.

My question is what’s the most fun for guys that have “small” and “large” scale. What do you drive the most? Bigger rigs are bigger money, but what about repairs, are they easier to break and more expensive to fix? I’ve got a 3s Senton and granite and I absolutely love them. Plenty fast, arguably too fast, easy to work on, and cheap to fix. Always thought the larger scale rigs were cool, but never had a real itch for one, but that’s really changing. I find myself really wanting the new 8s outcast bad or maybe the exb. So what’s been the experience of you with both.
Believe it or not, I feel that after the price tag, I'm spending LESS MONEY on the bigger 8s Arrma trucks than the smaller Arrma trucks because they break less (Kraton 8s V1.5). That's been my personal experience. 20ft jumps off my small ramps into grass/dirt.

I generally use my 10th around my neighborhood, 8th scale for more open areas but I sometimes cruise the Kraton because it drives super smooth on slighly smaller tires around the streets but my senton can get some speed easier since it takes up less space ;)

It's a different drive really, they all have their times to shine and places to do so too ;)

I like to have specialized rigs. My MERV does its thing. My drag car does the racing thing. The Senton does the bashing. The Kraton 6s does the... well, everything so far. I wanted a "send it" rig, so I guess it does that.

They're all fun to me, mostly run 10 scale around the house and in the street. 8 scale in wide open areas, too many kids, cars, and pets around home make them more dangerous in my neighborhood. Bigger rigs cost more all way around, wouldn't say they break easier but that's subjective, the harder you push them, the more that can go wrong, but I would have to say the 6s trucks are tougher than the 3/4S rigs.

Once you jump into 6s you will be hooked, they are wicked fast and the right size for me. Haven't jumped into the 5th scale scene, don't know if that's my cup of tea but still dig them. The EXB is awesome but already have a K6S, I would recommend getting one for several reasons.

Go for the OC8S if that's what you like, they are much more costly initially and weigh a ton compared to smaller rigs. You will also need a couple pairs of 4s lipos also. If you have the coin that's no big deal, but something to think about if you don't. Whatever you end up with have fun, that's what its all about!!
Hope your right? going to have my first 6s truck soon a 1000$+ investment if the diffs holds and HR diff holder i will be a happy boi

My experience has been that once I got into larger scale vehicles I began to lose interest in 10th scale. Large scales are a pain to carry and create room for but I can’t ever see myself going back to small stuff. Right now my Infraction is my smallest vehicle, I want to get an O8S and Felony once they’re no longer back-ordered.

Here's my take , and this is just my opinion and feeling . If you are into RC's ( the bashing side ) and are going to end up with a little or big collection , you gotta have at least one big RC . There is just something about seeing/hearing an RC that big running around !!! I have the Xmaxx , Losi DBXL-E , and K8S . Love them all , but,......but hardly use them lately vs. the 1/10 and 1/8th RC's .
PIA when the batt dies and you gotta carry this 30lb. truck back to your vehicle . Not that they break , but pain when you want to work on them on the work bench , turning/positioning/flipping vs. the smaller rigs .
My opinion if you are just starting , start with the smaller ones , easier to work on , areas to find to run them , lighter on the wallet ( truck and batteries ) to start .
FWIW , my fav's are the Mojave and Talion !

Last edited:
So I have had (4) 1/10 3-4s class Arrmas before I got the 1/7 Limitless (converted to Infraction) and my Kraton EXB 1/8. I got the EXB to bash things and in places where I'd be too nervous about my 1/10 Arrmas holding up and I admit I was seduced by YouTube vids of huge full sends done with the larger scale stuff. But if I'm honest I have just as much fun driving my 1/10 stuff even if it's not as crazy or extreme as my EXB or Infraction.

As far as easier/cheaper to fix with the larger scale stuff... not so much, but I enjoy the technically complexity, tunability, and aftermarket upgrades of the larger scale stuff more because the ceiling is higher than what I could reach in the 1/10 scale class. My wallet doesn't share this same opinion though, lol.

TL;DR: I like both classes of vehicles but large scale has more cool factor for me.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I’ve decided to wait on the larger rig for now. I want parts supply to be back to normal before I go bigger. Guys waiting for exb parts is just tragic at the moment. I think my next move will be a 6s talion or exb Kraton and see if I’m hooked on the larger scale and want more or if it’s scratching the same itch as the 10th scales. That new OC8S sure is a beauty though, never say never. To be continued........

As far as easier/cheaper to fix with the larger scale stuff... not so much

Super expensive in comparison, I remember when I fully built a 2wd Rustler with all the goodies and spent $400 total thinking that was a lot of money. Nowadays some nice large scale wheels are $200 alone and then you have the motor and esc. Working on large scales can be nice and simple sometimes, I can disassemble much of my Baja without any tools as everything is held together with clips
I think I’ve decided to wait on the larger rig for now. I want parts supply to be back to normal before I go bigger.

That’s smart, waiting on parts to be back in stock sucks right now and prices went up at Jenny’s because of low supply. I’m waiting as well.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I’ve decided to wait on the larger rig for now. I want parts supply to be back to normal before I go bigger. Guys waiting for exb parts is just tragic at the moment. I think my next move will be a 6s talion or exb Kraton and see if I’m hooked on the larger scale and want more or if it’s scratching the same itch as the 10th scales. That new OC8S sure is a beauty though, never say never. To be continued........
FWIW , I have a set of Backflip tires besides the stock ones for my Talion , greatly changes the way it drives ( rotates in the air a lot better ) , more traction when you want it , do wheelies on command , etc . When the stock tires are on it , it handles awesome !!!! , powerslide without flipping , etc . It's like having 2 trucks in 1 ,
Great bang for the buck out of the 6s lineup , offering different drive characteristics , it flies thru the air with ease , etc . I have never broken a servo/diff motor/ or ESC in it . Just upgrade right away to aluminum chassis braces and T-Bone bash bumpers . You won't be disappointed !! Go watch some you tube vids !!!! LOL

Last edited:
I have only had 1/10 until I saw the a Notorious. Damn... what truck. I am loving it. I think I'd enjoy an Outcast 8S but for now the Notorious 6S at 1/8th scale is just right. I have lots of construction near me and it doesn't take many times getting hung up and stuck with a 1/10 for me to shelve it and just blast through almost anything with the Notorious. An 8S would be huge and I"m sure fun but that is a LOT of $. Not quite ready to go there yet but the 1/8th scale is more fun for me right now. I still enjoy the 1/10 stuff but on smoother terrain.

Size wise, the 3s and 6s line are very similar, but they are two completely different animals. You don't have to go to the big 8s to get a completely different feel. The 3s are light and nimble, but they just don't go as hard or as far as their 6s big brothers. I have 5 Arrmas now. 3 6s and two 3s. As much as i love them all, I find myself grabbing the 6s when I really want to bash hard and jump far. The weight and torque just makes them fly further, and they handle the rough stuff with much more ease.

I started with a 1/16, then went 1/10 a month later, then 1/8 a month later, and now I'm at 1/5 8s Arrma. ?

As other have said, you need the right RC for the right bash area...

1/16 - 1/12 - yard bashing.
1/10 - some yard and small park bashing
1/8 - open areas, construction areas, retention ponds...

Around the house, my 1/16 truggy wins the fun every time. Yesterday, my son and I took our K6s and O6s to a park - recently had a new retention pond put in. It has a huge area of dirt, with scattered tall weeds, 1 foot deep/wide wash-out ditch, loads of fun, but my smaller rigs would not have worked there at all...

As other have said, you need the right RC for the right bash area...

1/16 - 1/12 - yard bashing.
1/10 - some yard and small park bashing
1/8 - open areas, construction areas, retention ponds...

Around the house, my 1/16 truggy wins the fun every time. Yesterday, my son and I took our K6s and O6s to a park - recently had a new retention pond put in. It has a huge area of dirt, with scattered tall weeds, 1 foot deep/wide wash-out ditch, loads of fun, but my smaller rigs would not have worked there at all...
As a disclaimer I did recently buy two scx 24 deadbolts for indoor crawling and outdoor backyard fun. Hehe

As a disclaimer I did recently buy two scx 24 deadbolts for indoor crawling and outdoor backyard fun. Hehe
Yeah, I want to get a pair of those... Will probably buy my son one for his B-day in about a month. Maybe use that as an excuse to bet myself one too... :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back