Question for you guys that do YT videos .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3x9rtse

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Talion
Hey guys , so every time I make a video when it gets uploaded to YT , it is a random caption on the page view , regardless of what time in the video , could be a minute in or 8 minutes in . How do you get your initial photo to be lets say of the truck ? Rather than some random action shot or something ? When I did the video of my Senton 6s build , the pic in box when your search it out is of my freaking microfiber towel !!! Thanks !!!

Hey guys , so every time I make a video when it gets uploaded to YT , it is a random caption on the page view , regardless of what time in the video , could be a minute in or 8 minutes in . How do you get your initial photo to be lets say of the truck ? Rather than some random action shot or something ? When I did the video of my Senton 6s build , the pic in box when your search it out is of my freaking microfiber towel !!! Thanks !!!
You mean thumbnail right ?

In YT you can upload a pic as your thumbnail.

You mean thumbnail right ?

In YT you can upload a pic as your thumbnail.
Yes , thumbnail . I try to look at all the options when I'm uploading , maybe I'm overlooking it ? Thanks , maybe I'll do a quick vid later so I can try it .
So with that said , how do you do that ? During editing , use your program to do a "snap shot " of a scene ?

Last edited:
You'll have to make a thumbnail, just take a screenshot at any moment in your video, or it could just be a photo ( I believe) and upload that image instead of the thumbnails yt gives you. If you want to take an extra step, you could add some text to your thumbnail. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, I'll have to check in a few days, but hopefully you'll figure it out be then. Cheers!

Right after you select which file you want to upload you come to the following screen. This is where you select the thumbnail. I believe the thumbnail file must be smaller than 2MB, if I'm not mistaken.
1656693838177.png

Tbh I swear thumbnails don't work for shorts. At least not for my shorts.

Tbh I swear thumbnails don't work for shorts. At least not for my shorts.
That might well be for actual "shorts". You can upload 10 second videos as normal videos though and you can put a thumbnail on those just as you would normally.

One of my shorts got 28 million views, and I won't take the revenue cause I'm not a YouTuber. It's just sitting in Adsense, no thanks.
Don't you need a certain number of subs and watch time before you can get paid? is it not the same for shorts?

I can't accurately answer that, I wasn't monetized when the video blew up. Also as mentioned there's no ads on shorts, however once I was monetized the channel started bringing in cash from the few other longer vids. It's a few hundred dollars last I checked.

O.K , so I just did another video , I now see where to put the picture for the thumbnail , but when you go to upload one they want your phone number to send you a code to use this feature . However in the small video box to the side it shows what frame of your video will be used for the thumbnail view from your video , I don't know how I got it , or it did it automatically to the shot of the 2 trucks together which is what I wanted anyway !!!
Did some workbench video as well as some running / jumping outside on 4s .

O.K , so I just did another video , I now see where to put the picture for the thumbnail , but when you go to upload one they want your phone number to send you a code to use this feature . However in the small video box to the side it shows what frame of your video will be used for the thumbnail view from your video , I don't know how I got it , or it did it automatically to the shot of the 2 trucks together which is what I wanted anyway !!!
Probably a coincidence. I believe that's what they call a happy accident :) It happened automagically :LOL:
If you have a land line you can have the automated system call you and tell you the code if you're paranoid about giving them your cell phone number. That's what I did.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back