Infraction Question on setup expectations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie RC

Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
Hey. Just got back into RC’s after 20 years away. So I’m basically new to this. I brought a infraction a couple weeks ago and already ordered new parts. I got aTP 4050 2310kv coming in with a ez run max 5. I’m running it with two smart spektrum 3s 50c 5000. What can I expect speed wise with the 18t vs 27t pinion? I’m running the factory spur

Hey. Just got back into RC’s after 20 years away. So I’m basically new to this. I brought a infraction a couple weeks ago and already ordered new parts. I got aTP 4050 2310kv coming in with a ez run max 5. I’m running it with two smart spektrum 3s 50c 5000. What can I expect speed wise with the 18t vs 27t pinion? I’m running the factory spur
I think 27T can hit 96 mph

My calculations say:
46/27T = 91.5 mph on 6s
46/18T = 60 mph on 6s

Please know that if you plan to do more than 1-2 speed passes then use the 46/18 gearing.
The 46/27 will get hot in a hurry.

If you catch the speed bug, then you will want to order the Limitless spool (29 to 34T spur)
(lowest price is eBay kit breakers like Jenny's RC or JRC)

Have fun and be safe!

Last edited:
Edited my previous post. Pretty close to Porschetech

People crack 80mph with the 46/27 combo on the original blx 2050kv motor. The TP motor should give you some more RPM and speed beyond what the stock setup does. Then if you want to go faster it is just a matter of gearing up!

Edited my previous post. Pretty close to Porschetech

People crack 80mph with the 46/27 combo on the original blx 2050kv motor. The TP motor should give you some more RPM and speed beyond what the stock setup does. Then if you want to go faster it is just a matter of gearing up!
I’m not 100% on this. I could have sworn someone hit that speed on stock setup.

I’m not 100% on this. I could have sworn someone hit that speed on stock setup.
To be honest my calculations work best for speeds of 95+ with efficiencies around 82% or less.
Stock infraction with the 27T and 46T spur doing 82mph means around 89% efficiencies and blows my calculator's mind lol

I cannot see anyone doing much more than about 82mph on a stock setup.

1583953509359.png

Moving to the 2310kv changes the top speed to 104. If we keep the same 89% that nets 92mph, but I assume the efficiency might go down slightly due to aero drag.

I remember now. It was a guy on fb selling his lightly used infraction. He claimed he hit 96mph
Yep :ROFLMAO:
It takes everything in me to not call these people out on the lies.
My response to the sales add that I want to do so badly is "I'll give you $2,000 if you can prove to me it does 100+ mph with that stock vxl 3s system in your Traxxas slash 4x4."

My calculations say:
46/27T = 91.5 mph on 6s
46/18T = 60 mph on 6s

Please know that if you plan to do more than 1-2 speed passes then use the 46/18 gearing.
The 46/27 will get hot in a hurry.

If you catch the speed bug, then you will want to order the Limitless spool (29 to 34T spur)
(lowest price is eBay kit breakers like Jenny's RC or JRC)

Have fun and be safe!
I forgot to add that. I am getting a limitless spool. The hobby store I went to suggested it

I can say for sure the following with stock ESC/motor/Stock Spur and Differential

46T/18T = 62 mph
46T/22T = 70 mph
46T/35T = 93 mph

I've verified all those speeds and they are repeatable day to day. One note for the 35T. You have to use 100C batteries as 50C will not provide enough current at full throttle. And the motor mount has to be modified slightly to fit the 35T. Or you can run it with just one screw holding the motor in.

I forgot to add that. I am getting a limitless spool. The hobby store I went to suggested it
If you find that you want to go faster than the mid 90's you will have to change ESCs.
The HobbyWing ESCs (all of them) choke when the load of bigger gearing reaches gearing for 90+ speeds.
Lowering the LVC cut-off and running good batteries helps some.

The best ESCs for speed are the MMX8s, XLX, and MM2

If you find that you want to go faster than the mid 90's you will have to change ESCs.
The HobbyWing ESCs (all of them) choke when the load of bigger gearing reaches gearing for 90+ speeds.
Lowering the LVC cut-off and running good batteries helps some.

The best ESCs for speed are the MMX8s, XLX, and MM2
I wanted to go with the xlx but because of the virus they are seriously backlogged on orders and every store I went to were out. I’m not going for top speed per say I just wanted it faster than stock and run it hard when I feel like it.

I wanted to go with the xlx but because of the virus they are seriously backlogged on orders and every store I went to were out. I’m not going for top speed per say I just wanted it faster than stock and run it hard when I feel like it.
If you are ok with peaking out in the 95mph range the HW ESCs are nearly bullet proof reliability.

I can say for sure the following with stock ESC/motor/Stock Spur and Differential

46T/18T = 62 mph
46T/22T = 70 mph
46T/35T = 93 mph

I've verified all those speeds and they are repeatable day to day. One note for the 35T. You have to use 100C batteries as 50C will not provide enough current at full throttle. And the motor mount has to be modified slightly to fit the 35T. Or you can run it with just one screw holding the motor in.

Single 6s pack for 100c? Just want to verify as I am just getting back into this hobby. I plan on gearing up to 34 or 35 when I get my Infraction, and want to make sure I am running the correct/most efficient lipo(s) for that type of gearing. Any lipo recommendations? Thanks.

Single 6s pack for 100c? Just want to verify as I am just getting back into this hobby. I plan on gearing up to 34 or 35 when I get my Infraction, and want to make sure I am running the correct/most efficient lipo(s) for that type of gearing. Any lipo recommendations? Thanks.
China Hobby have been recently reviewed very highly. Turnigy Panther Graphene has been the best for a while.

Two 6600MH 3s packs at 100C each. I used these: https://www.amainhobbies.com/gens-ace-3s-soft-case-100c-lipo-battery-11.1v-6000mah-ga-b1138/p1048145

One thing to keep in mind with the speed runs, those big gears and the Stock ESC. You have to do 1-2 speed runs, then let the car cool down for like 5-10 mins. I fried 2 stock ESC doing more than 7 back to back speed runs. Have to make it cool down a bit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back