Quick question! What diff oils for brainless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbalt89

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Quick one guys.

What's a good basis to start with for a brainless Nero in terms of diff fluid?

30/500/10? And is there any sealant needed to close the holes in the diff cups if using socket head screws? Teeny tiny o rings?

I used 2.5mm hex cut to fit. the diff case is only 3mm thick. So red loc tite, will seal it up, with the hex

I run 50/500/20k in mine.

I used screws for plugs as well with locktite and 500k in the center...still haven't done front/rear....but happy as is

I used M2.5 nylon screws that I found on eBay. The shortest I could find were 5 mm long, so I had to cut them down to 3 mm. I filled the diffs with 30K front / 100K center / 10K rear.
How does it handle? Does it still turn the front wheels into pizza cutters? Lol

How does it handle? Does it still turn the front wheels into pizza cutters? Lol

I only run the truck on 4S, so I don't have to worry about tires turning into pizza cutters. Plus it's still winter here, so I didn't have time to run it. There is a noticeable difference in power transfer though. More of the power goes to the rear and the front doesn't ballon as much.

Winter? Thats the best conditions to bash with a Nero! Regrettably the snow here in my area of Germany is gone.
We have +3°C today and yesterday it was raining the hole day long.. :(
THATS no weather to release the beasts course afterwards you have to clean for an hour...

A friend has also the "non brained" Nero but we had do some experiences with the diffs.
He tried silicone oil without closing the holes... I have not to describe what was happens!
After that we tried different silicone grease with different viscosity.
The result is that he had ordered a diff brain board an the middle diff at first.
I think later on he will also upgrade the others...

Regards,
lonee

I run silicone grease #2 rated in all diffs of the diff brain nero. It is not as thick as the 200k silicone oil i run in outcast center diff, still balloons, but not as nearly as bad. I don't think you can stop the balloning effect with oil as even locking center diff wont stop. Belted tires will. Have belted SRC tires. Very little if any ballooning

Have not noticed any grease leakage

Sea level. 72° F

Has anyone ran a "diff lock" type product in the middle diff? I'm thinking of using it after i seal mine up (brainless). With 80k up front and 60k out back. Running in Nero

I dunno what the tolerances are for nero diffs, but I run 1 million CST diff fluid in my Rival's center diff, and its just about perfect! Not much front end wasted power, but still not totally locked to wreak parts.

I would like to know if 1 million CST would stay in nero diff brain diffs

Im not sure if I've heard of people using 1mil. I've seen 500k used the most. I have Racers Edge diff lock, it literally looks like white clay (maybe a little more porous) I'm kinda hesitant to use it. Someone said it's equal to 750k but I'm not sure. it's really fricken hard!

I did the M2.5 bolt trick too.
500K diff fluid for me. I just did this the the other night...can't wait to try it out!
It was really easy.

full?d=1486049193.jpg

I did the M2.5 bolt trick too.
500K diff fluid for me. I just did this the the other night...can't wait to try it out!
It was really easy.

full?d=1486049193.jpg

Did you buy M2.5x3?

How was it threading the metal screws into the case? Should I go stainless cause I found a pack of 100 black oxide for a few bucks on Amazon

Yep, M2.5 x 3mm.
I had to file them down just a little bit so they cleared but thats it. The diff housing is sintered so the screws tap themselves easily. Fit nice and tight.
You don't need stainless as all your doing is filling holes so nothing leaks out.

Arrma should at least come out with an option part of a sealed diff cup. If not them, then maybe some aftermarket company could. What a sad design this is, especially for the center diff.

Edit: I put some 200K in my diff brain nero center diff to see if it would stay in. It worked good for 1 run but have not tried it again. There is an o-ring behind the sun gear that might keep oil in if it is thick enough.

Anyone know if just adding 500k diff fluid in the center diff will leak out? I didn't seal the little holes because I assumed it was going to be thick enough to not leak. I haven't had a chance to run since I am waiting for new tires.

500k is really thick but I think as the truck sits when not running it will slowly leak over time. It's really easy to plug the holes so while it's apart it's a good idea just to seal it up.
I just took my Nero out for the first time today with 500k in the center and I'm super impressed. It just lays the power down and rips.

500k is really thick but I think as the truck sits when not running it will slowly leak over time. It's really easy to plug the holes so while it's apart it's a good idea just to seal it up.
I just took my Nero out for the first time today with 500k in the center and I'm super impressed. It just lays the power down and rips.
Yeah it sucks that I didn't seal up the holes. I just don't like the ballooning that I used to get. I hope that doesn't happen with my new proline trencher X.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back