Quick shock rod end question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I'm going through my spare parts and found a bag if shock rod ends that I had. Here is what was in the bag;

20190417_075408.jpg

The smaller ends are what's on both my Kraton and my Talion. Can I use the thicker ends? I never ordered any other brand of rod ends so they must be Arrma. Are these for a different truck? Nero maybe?

I'm going through my spare parts and found a bag if shock rod ends that I had. Here is what was in the bag;

View attachment 35678

The smaller ends are what's on both my Kraton and my Talion. Can I use the thicker ends? I never ordered any other brand of rod ends so they must be Arrma. Are these for a different truck? Nero maybe?
I ran into that last night as well. I had already used the two small ones, so I used one of the big ones for now. Problem is, even with a composite ball that fits, there's a tiny bit of play, but there is no binding when moving the suspension up and down. Until I can get my hands on new Arrma stock, or some of the Tekno ones that @olds97_lss mentions as an upgrade, I'm gonna run with these. The play is almost unnoticeable once the spring is on. I did have to spread the shock perch open a bit to get it down on the rod end, but everything looked pretty level when sitting back down on the ground. They are beefier, so if they run without issue, could be a good thing. Those clips in the top left of the photo don't fit the rod ends, in case you thought of trying. They only fit into the one piece perches.

I ran into that last night as well. I had already used the two small ones, so I used one of the big ones for now. Problem is, even with a composite ball that fits, there's a tiny bit of play, but there is no binding when moving the suspension up and down. Until I can get my hands on new Arrma stock, or some of the Tekno ones that @olds97_lss mentions as an upgrade, I'm gonna run with these. The play is almost unnoticeable once the spring is on. I did have to spread the shock perch open a bit to get it down on the rod end, but everything looked pretty level when sitting back down on the ground. They are beefier, so if they run without issue, could be a good thing. Those clips in the top left of the photo don't fit the rod ends, in case you thought of trying. They only fit into the one piece perches.

Thanks, Johnny. I don't see how running the thicker ones would be bad. Here is the one that broke on me yesterday:
20190417_091803.jpg
20190417_091755.jpg
20190417_091811.jpg

See how it is ground down in the spot where it split? Weird.

Thanks, Johnny. I don't see how running the thicker ones would be bad. Here is the one that broke on me yesterday:
View attachment 35688View attachment 35687View attachment 35686
See how it is ground down in the spot where it split? Weird.
My guess is that's from dragging on the ground after it broke. The one I broke yesterday, completely disintegrated , and there was no hole left. To be honest, if the shock rod ends are the only part to go, and the suspension arms or shock shafts aren't affected, I'd say this is a win. I hope to take the Noto out today, so if anything out of the ordinary happens because of that larger part, I'll let you know. When you look up the part number AR330338, which is the bag that has all these parts, it includes the Nero. My guess is that except for the small rod ends, all the other parts are for a Nero. Odd that they would bundle them together in one package.

My guess is that's from dragging on the ground after it broke. The one I broke yesterday, completely disintegrated , and there was no hole left. To be honest, if the shock rod ends are the only part to go, and the suspension arms or shock shafts aren't affected, I'd say this is a win. I hope to take the Noto out today, so if anything out of the ordinary happens because of that larger part, I'll let you know. When you look up the part number AR330338, which is the bag that has all these parts, it includes the Nero. My guess is that except for the small rod ends, all the other parts are for a Nero. Odd that they would bundle them together in one package.
Ahh. Good call. I did drive it back to me after it broke. Makes sense.

I put the tekno part #'s in a comment on your video. Those are holding up really well for me. I've had them on the rear of my outcast since August and still no slop or stretching to be seen.

Tekno TKR6140B & TKR5049A
2018-0814-Outcast-ShockEnds-vs-TeknoTKR6140B-TKR5049A.jpg

I had tried the dubro monster ends on the front at the same time and have since shattered 3 of them. So the last time I broke one a month or so ago, I put the remaining 2 tekno's on the front. I also cut down/drilled/tapped a few of the dubro's to have on hand in my pit box as backup. They are too long and 3mm, so require modifying to work at all.

@olds97_lss I've been wanting to know the part No's of the Tekno shock ends..?? these good for the Kraton V4 shocks..??

Didn't want to start a new post as I know its been said before.. (quick highjack..? sorry @bicketybam)

Thx ??

I just installed the Tekno above on my car which should be finished and back running this afternoon.

Notice the lip- so the spring cap will either sit higher, or you can fit the included Tekno spring caps which is what I did.

Also note- the Tekno spring caps are a little smaller diameter at the spring seat, so time will tell what happens...

I read somewhere after I purchased mine that there are other Tekno ends that are a better direct fit.

@olds97_lss I've been wanting to know the part No's of the Tekno shock ends..?? these good for the Kraton V4 shocks..??

Didn't want to start a new post as I know its been said before.. (quick highjack..? sorry @bicketybam)

Thx ??
Should work. The v4 kraton is using the same ends as the v2 outcast, which is what I put them on.

Glad I found this. Was about to make a new post asking the same question about why the replacement kit comes with one set of smaller and one set of larger rod ends. I've now been through 4 rod ends in 3 days (3 front page left & 1 right rear). I was wondering the same thing Bickety was and did the same thing Notorious did...which is using the supplied thicker rod end. Right now it's on o ly one of three shocks but I'll replace as they break. If/when the larger ones break I'm going to explore aluminum options. I know NJ I risk making my weak point something bigger big but two replacement bags in 2 days wont cut it & I haven't even started bashing it really.

Here is an installed pic...first two pics are smaller stock rod end, last two are larger rod end supplied in the replacement set. Seemed to sit the same and be level and drive/ride the same so far.

Maybe somewhere out there in rc land someone will cross reference a ball with the right size hole. I have several of the Nero ends.
Armmaed and dangerous: if you’re breaking a lot of shock end double check your droop screws.

Maybe somewhere out there in rc land someone will cross reference a ball with the right size hole. I have several of the Nero ends.
Armmaed and dangerous: if you’re breaking a lot of shock end double check your droop screws.
Will do. Right after I check what a drop screw is. Thanks!

They are the grub screws on the inner part of the lower front and rear arms. The limit the amount of travel your arms will extend taking stress off of your shock ends during high speed card wheels etc.
Rest your car on something so the wheels are off the ground. Remove the nut from the top of your shock and pull it off the tower. If the suspension arm drops down your droop is set too low. Tighten the grub screw until the shock goes back on without lifting the arm up. There might be a video around about it if this doesn’t make sense. Recheck your droop from time to time as it does change as things wear.
Jim

I put the tekno part #'s in a comment on your video. Those are holding up really well for me. I've had them on the rear of my outcast since August and still no slop or stretching to be seen.

Tekno TKR6140B & TKR5049A
2018-0814-Outcast-ShockEnds-vs-TeknoTKR6140B-TKR5049A.jpg

I had tried the dubro monster ends on the front at the same time and have since shattered 3 of them. So the last time I broke one a month or so ago, I put the remaining 2 tekno's on the front. I also cut down/drilled/tapped a few of the dubro's to have on hand in my pit box as backup. They are too long and 3mm, so require modifying to work at all.
I noted that, thanks Olds. I've been out to a couple of lhs, and finally found one that will have the Tekno's in stock in about a week.

The play with the larger ends is minimal . My droop screw are set so that there should never be full extension, but as I noted before, none of these parts was designed with the type of landings that I am putting my Notorious through. I'm working on it. I have a tutor that has been sending me advice about how to improve my jumps. Hope he doesn't quit out of frustration.

Why not order right from Tekno's website?
I need to start buying local. I've recently been hit with some pretty extraordinary duties and taxes, on parts ordered from US websites. My last Jennys order, which was $160 CAD, had a $60 duty and tax fee tacked on. it's not the first time either. If I get away with out the extra fees, I'm par with what it would cost local. When I really want a specific part, I ask the local guys to bring them in, as I assume the stores have ways of avoiding all the extra duties. It means longer wait times, but it seems pointless to overpay. To my knowledge, there are not kit breakers in Canada, so I have to keep rolling the dice with the US guys. Same goes with companies like Amain and Tower. 50% of the time, I get the parts at what I paid. The other 50% have the fees tacked on. One hell of a game of roulette.

I need to start buying local. I've recently been hit with some pretty extraordinary duties and taxes, on parts ordered from US websites. My last Jennys order, which was $160 CAD, had a $60 duty and tax fee tacked on. it's not the first time either. If I get away with out the extra fees, I'm par with what it would cost local. When I really want a specific part, I ask the local guys to bring them in, as I assume the stores have ways of avoiding all the extra duties. It means longer wait times, but it seems pointless to overpay. To my knowledge, there are not kit breakers in Canada, so I have to keep rolling the dice with the US guys. Same goes with companies like Amain and Tower. 50% of the time, I get the parts at what I paid. The other 50% have the fees tacked on. One hell of a game of roulette.

I'm the same as you @Notorious J I'm in the UK and have the same luck as you, sometimes tax duty free other times get royally shafted..?

You USA guys don't realise how good you've got it..??

You USA guys don't realise how good you've got it..

Uh-huh. How much is your real estate tax a year? Heck- If I told you what I just paid in state and federal.

I've already made up my mind to buy a Typhon off Ebay before May 1st if they have another 15% off coupon before that....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back