Outcast R/C Newb looking for Kraton vs Outcast advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I changed my mind. I truly learned to jump with out Kraton V2 This clip is killing time before I pick my kid up. Running a 4s 5000mah 90c Graphene Turnigy brick. HPI Goliath MTs

Hi All,

I've been up and down this forum, youtube, and nearly every other corner of the Internet in search of my first hobby-grade RC car and I've narrowed it down to the Kraton and the Outcast. I have no doubt that I will love either rig but life, nor my wife, will allow me to have more than one. I've been eyeing the Kraton for some time now but just added the Outcast to my shortlist because I wonder if it's better suited to the terrain available locally around me.

I don't have an indoor or outdoor track nearby so the use of this truck will be limited to my suburban neighborhood (Bay Area, CA). There's a couple schools nearby with wide open grassy fields (mostly flat) and blacktop that are quiet on the weekend. My street is pretty quiet as well and offers a nice wide and long stretch of asphalt. I have no doubt that a Kraton would excel in either place. My backyard is another story...My backyard is a decent size by Bay Area (CA) standards but small in comparison nearly everywhere else. It's a relatively flat-fenced in area with a mixture of rocks, dirt, grass, weeds, scattered leaves, concrete patio, and roots (unfortunately for the patio). My 6YO daughter has a 1/12th scale 2WD brushed truggy that gets caught up pretty easy back there. My son is 3 and has a knock-off Wraith, which is painfully slow (because it needs to be) but gets around just fine. The ground clearance and the top end speed potential is what attracted me to the Kraton and Outcast to begin with (that and there just seemed to much loss of versatility in anything 1/10th scale or smaller).

The main thing holding me back for the Kraton is the combination of my backyard and the long wheelbase. I know both of these trucks are BIG and only plan to run 4S (durability) but I wonder if the longer wheelbase of the Kraton would make it unusable in my yard. Standing backflips and wheelies are not really my thing but I believe with the right tune and driver you can keep the Outcast running on all four pretty easily. Again, I know I'll be happy regardless but given how much consideration I've invested up until this point I'd rather not flip a coin.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Hey Magnus. Late to the party here. Have Typhons, Outcast, Kraton, and other RCs. Drive and enjoy all, even my kids modded 2wd ECX Ruckus's. Don't really have a favorite, but learning to bash Outcast well will make you a better Kraton basher when you eventually own both...Very addictive line of rigs! Outcast is probably the more fun of the group. Better for smaller bash spots, sick tight turning ability with SWB. Both super durable rigs. Kraton is definitely more stable by design and truly a beast, can't go wrong really with either one IMHO.

I
B. Outcast is for stunting meaning you need to have some idea of how to control your throttle on the ground and more importantly in the air.
C. Kraton, more stable platform when you want speed and simply want to punch it. A bonus for someone lacking throttle control.

I gotta say, you need good throttle control for ALL of the 1/8 scale Arrmas - My Kraton on 4s will flat move, and will break something (or someone) if you don't activity control it. Some of my 1/10 scales, you can kind of "punch it and play pinball" but that just does not work for a Kraton, and I can't see it working on the outcast either.

I saw this recommended recently. Looked like a good option. I personally went a little overboard on a charging setup... Hahaha. The below seems more than sufficient.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...onous-balance-charger-discharger-us-plug.html

I have the 2-channel, DC version of this charger. Love it!

Hey Magnus. Late to the party here. Have Typhons, Outcast, Kraton, and other RCs. Drive and enjoy all, even my kids modded 2wd ECX Ruckus's. Don't really have a favorite, but learning to bash Outcast well will make you a better Kraton basher when you eventually own both...Very addictive line of rigs! Outcast is probably the more fun of the group. Better for smaller bash spots, sick tight turning ability with SWB. Both super durable rigs. Kraton is definitely more stable by design and truly a beast, can't go wrong really with either one IMHO.

Better late than never! I actually started this thread hoping you'd answer since I knew you had both. I'm glad you re-affirmed my decision.

I've already got a friend that's intrigued by my yet to arrive new toy. Perhaps he'll get a Kraton! If I get another I'll probably go Typhon or Talion. I love the way the Talion looks.

During my winter months is when I get new RC. Got talion an getting it customized is 1/2 the hobby for me. There's always to much road salt around here in SE Wisconsin to even run outside now anyway. My world it's talions road an others back yard. Sad thing happened to my landlord,he has no green back yard anymore,
IMG_20160501_134832707.jpg
IMG_20170110_192611406.jpg
IMG_20170110_191348777.jpg

Bought my then 9 yr old a Redcat brushed volcano 4x4 for xmas 2016.... Long story short - Ive bought 15 RCs since - Its like breaking bad for me...200% addicted. Have all the Arrma BLX line - can say that now that Ive ordered my TYPHON...should arrive in a few days. Have the Kraton V2, Outcast, Nero, Fazon , etc - two words for you Magnus - JUMP RAMPS. They sky the RC evenly and properly and find a landing spot higher than the take off spot so the come down is less - in other words try to jump em uphill if you can - again - less come down. Physics can be painful on a drive train. I am buying the Axial Yeti XL for this very reason - has a dual slipper clutch so jumping is no biggie. also to answer your question - get both if you can. Two RCs that have such different abilities and fun factors - you can't have one without the other - they don't replace each other at all. To me if I had to get one - it would be the OutCast - has the speed factor PLUS those stunts and its behavior in the air is very very very very impressive to me. It also renders the diff brain wheelie mode in the Neros useless. It wheelies down the street almost too ez. It soars in the air like it belongs there and a flip is a flick on the radio. Hope this helps and BTW - Im insanely jealous of where you live your life...Cali is awesome.....the Bay area is AWESOMER!!! lol

Where did you purchase the blue wheels and front bumper on your Nero 6s?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back