Talion Racing talion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NICE! Sick paint job on that body. What is it?
Thanks! It's a Kyosho MP10E

We got 6 kyoshos' at our private track now so we are slowly becoming team Kyosho North West over here lol

We were doing major work to the track all weekend making it better ... Paving that underpass... rebuilding the bridge ... Whole track is just about minimum 8' wide now
Screenshot_20220419-122441.jpg

Screenshot_20220419-122258.jpg

IMG_20220417_185109.jpg

did you have to rent a uhaul to get all that piping? :D Looks great!

Here's what I've been working on. I've never even been to a real track so I'm not really sure what I want out of it. The first iteration was all just a bunch of sticks for border because I wasn't sure if it would stay that way or what. I found a bunch of piping behind my barn that's been there since we moved in and put that to use. Version 1 was about 4 feet wide. Oh man that was rough. Version 2 is 13 feet wide. MUCH higher speed. :D

2nd pic I traced the track with the pen on my phone. The pic is a panorama so the chicane in the middle is way distorted, but you get the idea. :)

It's public property, so I can't really just do whatever I want with the dirt. I did mow the grass though. LOL What you see on the near side of the fence is my land. I stand on my retaining wall and have a decent view of the track.

20220419_141721.jpg

Screenshot_20220419-142703_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
did you have to rent a uhaul to get all that piping? :D Looks great!

Here's what I've been working on. I've never even been to a real track so I'm not really sure what I want out of it. The first iteration was all just a bunch of sticks for border because I wasn't sure if it would stay that way or what. I found a bunch of piping behind my barn that's been there since we moved in and put that to use. Version 1 was about 4 feet wide. Oh man that was rough. Version 2 is 13 feet wide. MUCH higher speed. :D

2nd pic I traced the track with the pen on my phone. The pic is a panorama so the chicane in the middle is way distorted, but you get the idea. :)

It's public property, so I can't really just do whatever I want with the dirt. I did mow the grass though. LOL What you see on the near side of the fence is my land. I stand on my retaining wall and have a decent view of the track.

View attachment 212862
View attachment 212863
Looks like a great start!
Our track has been a work in progress about 10 years so the materials were slowly
acquired
I didn't build it I just help out here and there and race as much as I can

Just installed a MyLaps system so we can get the lap times - game changer!

Wish I had a better picture... You can see the race stand in this one. Benches behind too

Screenshot_20220419-134019.jpg

I finally got around to setting droop. I set mine up just like you suggested at +3 front / +6 rear and ya, it turns a lot better. :) This also helped an issue where I would hit a certain bump in the track and the rear end would try to jump over the front and would go into a cartwheel down the track. That issue isn't totally fixed yet but WAY better. Before I had to either slow way down if I couldn't avoid the bump, or go around it if I could. I still can't take it full throttle, but a big step in the right direction. The bump in question isn't very big, maybe 1-2" dip before it, and 2-3" rise. Not a jump at all, just an irregularity in the track that goes about 1/2 way across the lane.

Anyway, I'm going to have to do some more research on what suspension setup to see if I can dial that in a little more.

I finally got around to setting droop. I set mine up just like you suggested at +3 front / +6 rear and ya, it turns a lot better. :) This also helped an issue where I would hit a certain bump in the track and the rear end would try to jump over the front and would go into a cartwheel down the track. That issue isn't totally fixed yet but WAY better. Before I had to either slow way down if I couldn't avoid the bump, or go around it if I could. I still can't take it full throttle, but a big step in the right direction. The bump in question isn't very big, maybe 1-2" dip before it, and 2-3" rise. Not a jump at all, just an irregularity in the track that goes about 1/2 way across the lane.

Anyway, I'm going to have to do some more research on what suspension setup to see if I can dial that in a little more.

Yeah I was thinking about trying another mm or two droop but the weather has be lousy

Looks like a great start!
Our track has been a work in progress about 10 years so the materials were slowly
acquired
I didn't build it I just help out here and there and race as much as I can

Just installed a MyLaps system so we can get the lap times - game changer!

Wish I had a better picture... You can see the race stand in this one. Benches behind too

View attachment 212864
Wow this is awesome! Way better back yard than boring grass. 👍

That was about probably$18k CAD for the materials wood/dirt/pipe

That bridge and underpass is probably one or two grand

Lots of fun lol

They might start charging soon...
If that was anywhere near me I’d definitely pay in cash, beer, materials, labor, or all of the above.

I set mine up for racing. Currently has an XR8 Pro ESC, BLX185 motor and PowerHobby 729MBL servo. Differentials are 10k/5k/3k and shocks are 70w front and 60w rear. Need to setup proper height and droop. I’m gonna change tires to Duratrax posse zero offset wheels (practice tires). My local track runs Holeshots. Future plans include a new proline Axis body and some track time.

DACC68FB-396F-4954-9D01-FE55AD3EEEE1.jpeg

What tires are those? I am looking for that type for my Talion
Those are proline crime fighters. A track favorite but unfortunately out of production.

I'm using the GRP Atomic's for actual racing. Also trying AKA Gridiron

Interesting fact the GRP super soft compound is softer then aka supersoft and proline m4

I am building a talion up from a roller V4. Not fond of spectron electronics. Anyway we race not really organised but is what it is. It is outside hard clay with loose on top. I am struggling with what dia X width tire to use. I was looking at these

Duratrax X-Cons 1/8 Mounted C2 Truggy Tires (2), DTXC3660​

they are 5.67 dia x 2.5 width. Are rated as soft. I this something that would work on the Talion? Know of something similar but better?

I am building a talion up from a roller V4. Not fond of spectron electronics. Anyway we race not really organised but is what it is. It is outside hard clay with loose on top. I am struggling with what dia X width tire to use. I was looking at these

Duratrax X-Cons 1/8 Mounted C2 Truggy Tires (2), DTXC3660​

they are 5.67 dia x 2.5 width. Are rated as soft. I this something that would work on the Talion? Know of something similar but better?
On the Talion I use Holeshots (proline)

Work pretty good. We have a sifted dirt track about 80% clay and 20% sand and they work excellent but if track is too wet it cakes the tires and too dry and it's a slippery mess until we hose it down.

On the Talion I use Holeshots (proline)

Work pretty good. We have a sifted dirt track about 80% clay and 20% sand and they work excellent but if track is too wet it cakes the tires and too dry and it's a slippery mess until we hose it down.
Those are about 1 inch smaller in diameter, do you have to change you pinion?

Those are about 1 inch smaller in diameter, do you have to change you pinion?
Not sure I follow. I use the truggy tires. They are 140mm....think they call that 4.0" (Proline)

They are only a couple millimeters shorter than the stock Katars, and a heck of a lot lighter

I do gear down though. I'm using a 15t on the track and would prefer a 14t because it's so tight but I don't think a 14t will fit. I race with a 2150kv 4s motor.

Off track I run the castle 1717 with 23t/44t gearing and 175mm tires 😎

I basically rebuild the car every week 🤷
Not sure I follow. I use the truggy tires. They are 140mm....think they call that 4.0" (Proline)

They are only a couple millimeters shorter than the stock Katars, and a heck of a lot lighter

I do gear down though. I'm using a 15t on the track and would prefer a 14t because it's so tight but I don't think a 14t will fit. I race with a 2150kv 4s motor.

Off track I run the castle 1717 with 23t/44t gearing and 175mm tires 😎

I basically rebuild the car every week 🤷

Still following @Yonic advice and finally got the old school motor mount set-up to save more weight

IMG_20220527_003659.jpg

IMG_20220527_001252.jpg

IMG_20220527_000921.jpg

That's really interesting, those are big changes from one to the other. I assume you got it down by now. I have looked at so many from 4" to 6", also varying widths 1.6 to 2.5. Maybe I am over thinking but kind of want to get it right. Not even sure if tire dia even matters?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back