Typhon Racing with ARRMA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboeren

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there do any sort of regular racing league or similar with their ARRMA cars? If so, do you have any tips on how to set up something like that?

I'd like to get into doing some sort of weekly RC racing but the cost difference between an RTR and an actual racing car and the much more expensive electronics that go into them is huge. I don't care if it's off-road or in parking lots or whatever, but I have no idea how to find or create something like that that uses inexpensive cars - and I expect I'll have a much easier time getting people interested if I can tell them a car is under $300 instead of over $700.

Does anyone out there do any sort of regular racing league or similar with their ARRMA cars? If so, do you have any tips on how to set up something like that?

I'd like to get into doing some sort of weekly RC racing but the cost difference between an RTR and an actual racing car and the much more expensive electronics that go into them is huge. I don't care if it's off-road or in parking lots or whatever, but I have no idea how to find or create something like that that uses inexpensive cars - and I expect I'll have a much easier time getting people interested if I can tell them a car is under $300 instead of over $700.

Many RC tracks will have some kind of novice or rookie class where you can drive any sort of car you want. You should be able to race your Arrma there.

Typhon and Talion should work in 1/8 buggy and truggy class. They are based on race chassies after all. They won't be as competitive as your latest and greatest 1000+ kits but I bet fun can be had.

I race against other guys in an amateur environment and the Kraton with some very basic upgrades/mods is often faster than the really expensive kits, but it really is setup that matters, I keep improving mine each time I go, it's not as good as the best car setup well, but is close with a bit of luck. It's so much fun though and I love beating the expensive cars. I was thinking of race specing my Typhon next. Good tyres and well setup suspension, camber and some weight saving you'll be shocked at the speed you can get around a track on 4s.

I did used both my Typhon and Talion for racing. The Talion or Kraton can be setup for racing but requires adjustments and some part changing, Typhon is ready out of the box, put a light weight battery and racing tires and you’re good to go.

And don’t overlook the 3s version of the Typhon, it’s the cheapest way to get into racing.

Yes, the 3S Typhon is the one I was looking at. I'm looking at two options, either joining an established racetrack or trying to get some friends together and doing our own spec class with something like the ARRMA Typhon 3S running in whatever locations we can find.

I found two local tracks, one of them only does 1/10 scale so I can't run an ARRMA there. The other does a lot of 1/8 but it's about an 80 minute drive so I can't get there that regularly.

Anyway, I'm going to visit the closer 1/10 place next week when they have a race day and gather more information. I think most likely I'm just going to bite the bullet and shell out for a 2WD Buggy or Stadium Truck which are the most popular classes there.

I’d say try racing first at an established place and then if you really want to, try to run your own. You’ll have a much better idea on if you like it, when it entails, etc. after you have some experience doing it.

Yes, we are doing little races on the w.-e. local outside track and also inside SCTE track.
Official races are getting serious in my area... Some guys spent 100-300$/race for tires, esc, motor (Reedy stuff), change diff oil after every w.-e...
Guys told me that they have more fun on little than official race...
Best tip is to run free with all those guys on saturday morning...

Attachments

• IMG_1718 (3).JPG
    IMG_1718 (3).JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 44
The 6s cars make pretty good RTR racers. But if you club is competitive, once you get good, they will hold you back. As long as your are a casual racer, though they will be fine.

If you want to race competitively on a budget, look for a used racing kit. Most racers upgrade / sell their cars every season. You can pick up their old car, well cared for, maybe with spares, upgrades, electronics, for a very good price.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back