Radio contolled car for the disabled

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels007

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
Hello all, I thought I’d share how with the help of my wife’s hands I modified an R/C truck so that I could use it with one joystick. I’m a disabled from an accident and don’t have use of my hands, therefore I can’t physically use gun style controllers or 2 channel gimbal “stick” controllers. Although, I can drive my electric wheelchair with a single controller and goal post style handle. I searched R/C forums high and low looking for a solution, but could only find bits and pieces of information. I want to thank Arrma Forums and RC Groups forum for the info they provided.

To start I picked an RC vehicle I liked and that had great reviews. Also, there are different driving terrains and driving styles. After LOTS of research, the Arrma Big Rock Crew Cab BLX 3S I feel was best for me. It doesn’t wheelie out of control and seems forgiving if I accidently jam on the throttle from an arm spasm. It’s also built tough for when I crash…which is a given. Furthermore, close to 50 mph out of the box on a 3s battery gives plenty of growing room.

Now I needed a controller I could use with one gimbal. I went with a 6 channel radio controller and receiver. I chose the Turnigy TGY-i6S Controller. It was at a great price and had an overabundance of options for what I was going to use it for. The only problem was the receiver was a little too big to fit in the waterproof housing on the truck. I had to use double sided tap and stick it to the frame. I’ll probably upgrade to a smaller receiver that fits in the box in the future.

Next was the experiment part. I was praying that I could use the throttle/brake/reverse and steer left and right on the left gimbal….it made sense theoretically. I had my wife plug the ESC into channel 2 and the steering servo into channel 4. BAM! Worked like a charm.
20190120_104238.jpg

Lastly, I needed to make a handle for the single gimbal. Did you ever use Constructs when you were a kid? Well I did and had them stored in the attic. I made a goal post handle I can rest my hand in and zip tied it to the gimbal. As an alternative, I was thinking of hot gluing popsicle sticks in a goal post shape and wrapping it in tap. Also, if you don’t have use of your hands, I’m sure tubing from Lowes or a straw could go on the gimbal allowing you to use your mouth to control a vehicle.
20190120_104151.jpg

I hope this helps others who are in my position. I can control the truck just as well as my wheelchair “which is good” without feeling my disability is holding me back. There’s no reason we disabled can’t be enabled to enjoy doing things others can. It just takes an imagination, ingenuity, and a little help from others.

Attachments

• 20190120_104151.jpg
    20190120_104151.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 65
Great job! That's super impressive! So the one stick does everything (forward, brake, reverse, steering)?

Very creative solution; nice (y) Kewl use of construx :geek:

Welcome :) Nice to have a husband/wife duo ;)

Pretty impressive man I wish I had the kinda skill I could pull that off, I'm over here struggling to cut a straight line in vinyl tile for my kitchen floor lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back