Radio gear choice help...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilted

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
Having sold my Sanwa MT-S and five receivers I am now in the position to put my money where my mouth is.

I just want to put some feelers out there as it's a big decision for me as I club race 1/10 buggies so response times are important but also need something with better range than the Sanwa MT-S/RX482 of around 75-100m max for speed runs and general bashing. Infact the stock Arrma 6s Typhon and Felony radios had considerably better range!

I am pretty set on the Futaba T4PM. Spoke to a few people who race and speed run and it seems a good choice.

However, now I actually have the cash I'm having a bit of a wobble and wondering if the Spektrum DX5C/DX5C Pro or even the 'better' Sanwa MT-44 with a receiver with a wire antenna for range?

Then seen the Flysky Noble, it seems highly regarded and has fast response time but unsure on range and suitability and pedegree for club racing? Not in a snobish way, just it's reliability, receiver cost and size etc.

I agree, I have used the Noble NB4 for about a year with 8 different cars on it, Its my favorite radio hands down. I have personally seen 900ft of reception distance with it during speedruns. I did recently switch my speedrun cars to the Radiolink RC6 because of the even greater distance it provides, but in every other way the Noble is a better radio, plus it just feels solid and high quality compared to most other radios on the market

I run a DX5C on everything but my speed car, that one uses Futaba 3PM 😉 I really want to get a Futaba 7PXR but to change radio and all the receivers it'll cost me a fortune 🤣

I wouldn't recommend the spektrum dx5c for range. Even with coaxial antenna's on the receivers, I'm lucky to get 150 yards, even when on a hill.

Not sure how accurate the yards are on this, but if I'm standing at the bottom end on top of the berm, some of my receivers get sketchy beyond the far berm at the top:
2019-0729-BMX-Yorkville-Length.jpg

I have the DX5C, similar issue with the DX3C.

With the old single wire antenna DSM receivers, I got about half that on a good day.

Sorry for the late reply, but I’m not into track racing, so I don’t think I’m qualified to answer. I can give you range info, but that’s about it.

I really think the Noble NB4 is a great jack of all trades if the price point is ok for your budget.
The very fast response time and killer menu screen system makes this radio great for racing and potential for speed uses if you are ok with running a signal booster..

Many radios need a signal booster for distances over 1000 ft. Even radios like the RC6gs will suffer latency when the range is over 1200 ft. As far as I am aware the signal booster will help significantly with this.

I had run the Futaba 3PM MX with the FASST receivers and noticed the range and latency wasn't great over 1200 ft.

I've bought the Futaba T4PM. Hope it will be ok.
The T4PM uses Futaba's FHSS protocol. This is shared with the 3PM that I have first hand experience with.
I believe @jondilly1974 is using the T3PM radio on his speed cars going over 130mph. He and I both noted that it will need a signal booster to run over 100mph. (runs over 1000 ft)

Plenty of how-to videos on YouTube about adding a booster. It is relatively low cost to add a booster, something like $40

I'm a Futaba fan and there is no doubt it's one of the best radios in the market but the RC6GS can't be beaten in range.
^^^^ I agree.
I Have a DX5C, RC6GS( for speed running) and NB4
Despite the RC6GS being more of budget radio by comparison to the DX5C and NB4.
Much of the range on these 3 radios is dependent on the specific Rx that is bound to them. Rx with antennas and even better double diversified antennas work best range wise. Many of the Micro Rx's without antennas are best for the track. ( usually having excellent Latency specs.) Just not best Bashers or for Speed running distances.

For Track purposes, I feel the NB4 is best of my bunch. And the latency is the best of my 3 radios hands down. Range is never an issue at any Track. Tracks are always designed within the range of most any radios.

Signal interference rejection can be a problem at tracks. And many confuse that with Range issues. Two completely different things.
Improper Rx setup and installation is sometimes part of the problem with any Radio setup. Impacting Range and /or Interference.
No matter the radio brand. :cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back