Radio range..!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingBrian

#ArrmaAddict #RCwhore
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast EXB
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
So I've got a DX5c with rx's fitted in all but one of my rigs (Kraton still has Tatic TTX), I'm looking to go a bit faster and further with my Infraction and I'm just wondering what the range on the DX5c is like..??
I don't plan on breaking any land speed records ? but I really don't want to run out of range.!!

Would it be better/safer to upgrade to a Futaba system..??

My DX5c has been good so far range wise but to be honest I would guess that the furthest my cars have been is around 200ft max..!! The thought of loosing control at speed is quite worrying and I would rather just upgrade the radio if needed.??

Also with a Futaba system what would be the better RX to use.??
I noticed the radio's seem to get bundled with one of these two RX's the R334SBS or R304SB.

Vas found that his DX5C lacked enough range. At about the 6:30 mark he loses signal. @Aussie RC Playground

7FCAB243-A4BD-4EF7-BD2A-78337681214A.png

I'd probably look for a lower cost futaba used just for the speed car so you don't have to change things for your regular RCs.
Look for one using FASST protocol as that is their longest range system. I run the 3PM

***Edit 4/15/21*** RadioLink RC6GS V2 is a great budget option. Otherwise any radio with a signal booster is great.

Last edited:
Just found this... ( quite handy as I've been looking at that TX earlier today ? )

I’m waiting for his follow up testing. Wondering if that 4W unit will have heat issues. I know the 2W version requires cooling.

I'd probably look for a lower cost futaba used just for the speed car so you don't have to change things for your regular RCs.
Look for one using FASST protocol as that is their longest range system. I run the 3PM

I am looking for a Futaba with FASST but don't see it. Am I behind the times to not know that T-FHSS is the slang for FASST? ?

Or is it overkill to want the most range possible? I just bash and honestly my Summit gets really small at about 100 yards with my current eyesight...LOL. I don't know how you speed run guys see that far to get a "wind up"!

I am looking for a Futaba with FASST but don't see it. Am I behind the times to not know that T-FHSS is the slang for FASST? ?

Or is it overkill to want the most range possible? I just bash and honestly my Summit gets really small at about 100 yards with my current eyesight...LOL. I don't know how you speed run guys see that far to get a "wind up"!
***Edit 4/15/21*** RadioLink RC6GS V2 is a great budget option. Otherwise any radio with a signal booster is great.

You would probably be just fine with the 3PV using T-FHSS. It is a great radio and has all the features of high dollar radios. I liked how light it is...
It works great for about 900 ft distances which is plenty for 99% of users.

FASST is only available on some older discontinued models and the outrageously priced 7PX. The FASST receivers also cost nearly 2x the traditional protocol. I'd say if you are at 100 mph or less stick with the cheaper radio, unless you have money to blow....
I’m waiting for his follow up testing. Wondering if that 4W unit will have heat issues. I know the 2W version requires cooling.
I am curious about that also.
A good quality range test (using scientific methods) with and without the booster would be interesting to see.

Last edited:
You would probably be just fine with the 3PV using T-FHSS. It is a great radio and has all the features of high dollar radios. I liked how light it is...
It works great for about 900 ft distances which is plenty for 99% of users.

FASST is only available on some older discontinued models and the outrageously priced 7PX. The FASST receivers also cost nearly 2x the traditional protocol. I'd say if you are at 100 mph or less stick with the cheaper radio, unless you have money to blow....

Money to blow you say? Yeah I don't fit in that camp! LOL.

Thanks for the input. Amazon has a few 3PV's with R304SB T-FHSS Rx for 129.

Futaba for the win..?? now just to find one ?

I think @GMballistic has Futaba and I'm sure he uses an air RX..?? where are you GM..???
Hello. :whistle:

I use a Futaba 4PLS ~ my Typhon uses a R2104GF receiver, I have a R304SB in my Serpent S120LTX and I have a R2006GS (air receiver) in my Limitless.

The Typhon is the only one I have tested at any significant range and honestly I couldn't see it :LOL: ...but it still had enough range to come back to me. (y)

I expect the Limitless should be able to go further out of sight than the Typhon.

One cheap and easy thing to do that will help you to further your range on a Futaba set up or any set up you can change the receiver aerial on is to add an extended aerial. A standard aerial on the receivers I use is 150mm I believe but the extended ones are around 350-400mm depending on the one you choose.
Genuine Futaba 400mm one here for example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Futaba-2...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
No soldering either on the Futaba receivers as they just unplug.

Hello. :whistle:

I use a Futaba 4PLS ~ my Typhon uses a R2104GF receiver, I have a R304SB in my Serpent S120LTX and I have a R2006GS (air receiver) in my Limitless.

The Typhon is the only one I have tested at any significant range and honestly I couldn't see it :LOL: ...but it still had enough range to come back to me. (y)

I expect the Limitless should be able to go further out of sight than the Typhon.

One cheap and easy thing to do that will help you to further your range on a Futaba set up or any set up you can change the receiver aerial on is to add an extended aerial. A standard aerial on the receivers I use is 150mm I believe but the extended ones are around 350-400mm depending on the one you choose.
Genuine Futaba 400mm one here for example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Futaba-2-4GHz-400mm-Extended-Rx-Aerial-Pair/143553810692?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
No soldering either on the Futaba receivers as they just unplug.
Agree on that! Vertical antenna height helps a ton!
The guy I sold my Unlimited project to swears by the +3dbi rx antennas. I am doubtful based on the short length...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3DBI-Brass...=2228090105958c279f15760347ff9e0680605effb947

In the old days you couldn't lengthen or cut the antenna wire as it causes problems. Now-a-days you can do that? If so thats great! And that additional length will help on any Rx format?

In the old days you couldn't lengthen or cut the antenna wire as it causes problems. Now-a-days you can do that? If so thats great! And that additional length will help on any Rx format?
Still cannot cut the antenna or lengthen via cutting soldering... but you can purchase an antenna of different length and get some gains that way.
This page is specific for airplanes but still the content is relevant about keeping the antennas parallel and keeping the tx/rx link.
http://open-txu.org/home/continuing-education/introduction-to-antennas/

Last edited:
What is the purpose of the air receiver..?? longer range, I see it has two aerials ?
I did a lot of reading and research before going with the R2006GS air receiver and although I can't find it now basically I believe the signal strength of the air receiver is more than that of the ground receivers so straight away that should give you a little more range.

The twin aerials (dual antenna diversity) or DAD for short, :LOL: ...basically allows it to receive the radio signals at two different locations with it picking the most powerful signal to try to stop any signal loss.
For it to work at it's best the aerials must be kept as straight as possible and if possible at 90degrees to each other. Apparently the latter degree figure is not critical but you're best trying to get as close to it as you can.
futaba-r2006gs-page2.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back