Radio range..!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s new and available now that has at least a 1000’ range? That’s what I need for where I run and at the speeds I’m gunning for. I’d rather not buy something old or used that I don’t know the history on.

Radiolink claims the RC6GS is 600m+. I never tested it out that far, but it goes really, really far. Officially I think it says 400m, which is still further than 1000 feet.

My RC6GS never gave me very much range stock. With a booster it may be ok. Never tried that yet.

But my 3PV without the booster was cutting at about 700ft. With a booster it drives further than I can possibly see. I haven’t found the end of the range yet. I might try with a spotter.

My RC6GS never gave me very much range stock. With a booster it may be ok. Never tried that yet.

But my 3PV without the booster was cutting at about 700ft. With a booster it drives further than I can possibly see. I haven’t found the end of the range yet. I might try with a spotter.

IIRC, your RC6GS only went like 30 feet. There was something definitely wrong with it.

I did a lot of reading and research before going with the R2006GS air receiver and although I can't find it now basically I believe the signal strength of the air receiver is more than that of the ground receivers so straight away that should give you a little more range.

The twin aerials (dual antenna diversity) or DAD for short, :LOL: ...basically allows it to receive the radio signals at two different locations with it picking the most powerful signal to try to stop any signal loss.
For it to work at it's best the aerials must be kept as straight as possible and if possible at 90degrees to each other. Apparently the latter degree figure is not critical but you're best trying to get as close to it as you can.
View attachment 83745

Interesting..

While looking around the speedrun community I stumbled on this by InnovationRC... two ariels at 90deg..!!
What's weird though is Futaba say it isn't compatible with a 4PM, but I'm sure that's what he runs..??

Screenshot 2020-06-02 at 09.07.12.jpeg

Radiolink claims the RC6GS is 600m+. I never tested it out that far, but it goes really, really far. Officially I think it says 400m, which is still further than 1000 feet.

I run the RC 4GS and has been good for range but for piece of mind I added a booster and run both of a 3s lipo
IMG_20200509_130200.jpg
IMG_20200509_130214_1.jpg

IIRC, your RC6GS only went like 30 feet. There was something definitely wrong with it.
I thought so too. Problem is I didn’t want to spend $50 to mail it back to China and RC Juice refused to help.

Not very confident in its range after watching this.
FF to 3:40 in the video for the range test

Does anyone have a Futaba 3PV that can perform and verify signal loss at a specific distance?

Hmm I've been almost out of sight on with 4gs but had the receiver antenna coming out the body as far and straight as pos but only use to doing this from back in the day using 27mhz am stuff even running fast electrics an pro boats the pond was never big enough but the 4gs I prob say 300m + only added the 2000mw booster as a back up

Next time I'm at the grass park ill try test as this has me wondering now if the response is still even there?

Does anyone have a Futaba 3PV that can perform and verify signal loss at a specific distance?
I have gotten 700’ out in rural open areas before my booster was added using the R304SB receiver.

My son runs a Futaba 3PV on his Granite 4x4 3s and I run the Futaba 4PV on my Typhon 3s, both really no issues with them. I have range to the point I can hardly see my car. The 3PV is significantly lighter so for a 7year old, that‘s way better.

My 3PV had intermittent signal loss issues at certain locations. Interference can certainly vary depending where you are running. I had days where I went around 900 feet, and other days where I lost signal at 400 feet.

With that said I the FASST protocol on the 3PM MX has been amazing. Futaba's running FASST have a reputation for 1200+ feet range.

As far as I know the 7PX is the only one that offers FASST protocol and for sale today as new. It looks like you would probably have to purchase the FASST receiver separately for either an arm or a leg.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/futaba...emetry-radio-system-w-r334sb-futk4908/p666899

I have a confirmed ~1500ft pass today and I was standing about 2/3 down the lane. I prefer to be closer to the end. Best guess was I was over 800-900ft from the turn around at the start. I only stopped there because a small hill limits my view if I go past that.

E1578B96-0231-4A42-BBC9-574FCF1E9559.png

Question for you folks with the DX5C...

Ever take your DX5C apart? I just got one and took it apart to mod it for 2s lipo instead of using AAs and found something interesting while I was in there. The stock antenna is connected via ipex style connector to Antenna A pin and there is an unused ipex Antenna B pin. This makes it seem like the radio is capable of diversity antennas so I think I am going to experiment to see if that Antenna B connection actually works or not. Has anyone seen this and tried it before?

I hope it does work as diversity and if it does I will mod it to install a second ipex to SMA antenna connector to add the option to use a second removable antenna and/or external booster that I can power off the lipo I got installed in it.

Question for you folks with the DX5C...

Ever take your DX5C apart? I just got one and took it apart to mod it for 2s lipo instead of using AAs and found something interesting while I was in there. The stock antenna is connected via ipex style connector to Antenna A pin and there is an unused ipex Antenna B pin. This makes it seem like the radio is capable of diversity antennas so I think I am going to experiment to see if that Antenna B connection actually works or not. Has anyone seen this and tried it before?

I hope it does work as diversity and if it does I will mod it to install a second ipex to SMA antenna connector to add the option to use a second removable antenna and/or external booster that I can power off the lipo I got installed in it.
Sounds like a good plan. Can’t hurt. ??‍♂️

While looking around the speedrun community I stumbled on this by InnovationRC... two ariels at 90deg..!!
What's weird though is Futaba say it isn't compatible with a 4PM, but I'm sure that's what he runs..??
Not sure on the compatibility.
Last time I spoke to Brandon about his radio set up he was using a 4PLS, ...that was part of why I ended up getting that model because I knew he used it and coupled with a good receiver got excellent range.

I know in his recent video he was using the 4PM though so he's either moved on to that now or has more than one remote. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back