Radio range..!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had this problem, then I got a Radiolink RC6GS
Have you measured the actual range your getting? I’m seriously considering one of these instead of boosting my Noble, which gets around 800’-850’

Have you measured the actual range your getting? I’m seriously considering one of these instead of boosting my Noble, which gets around 800’-850’
Don’t. They don’t support their products. I would buy a Dumborc before I bought a Radiolink.

Don’t. They don’t support their products. I would buy a Dumborc before I bought a Radiolink.
Guess I’ll just have to boost the Noble then...

No but it reaches further than I can see the car. Also their customer support always got back to me quickly when I contacted them via facebook

No but it reaches further than I can see the car. Also their customer support always got back to me quickly when I contacted them via facebook
Wait until you need something serviced and have to pay $60 to ship it back to China.

So did a range test today with my new (old) Futaba 3PM..
Had a friend stay with the car and I merrily walked off into the distance continually using the throttle and steering the car.

Here's the result, 1267.2 feet..!! ( I had no line of sight to the car, trees blocked my view once I got past about 900 feet )
I wasn't holding the radio in the optimum position either I was just walking along whilst on the phone to my mate checking all the time I had a good connection to the car..???

I'm really happy with outcome...

View attachment 86680

Out of curiosity, what sort of distance do people do when doing a speedrun that goes over 100mph..??
I'm going to test my DX5c at the same place at the weekend to see how it does, I know Vas aka @Aussie RC Playground had issues with range on his..!!
I'll report back later..??

So today off I went to test out my DX5c at the exact same spot as I did with the Futaba, the out come was well ? probably what I expected but at the same time the DX5c didn't do too bad really. Here's the result, 1003.2 feet..!!
So a total of 264 feet shorter than the Futaba..!!

What amazes me though is the fact that the Futaba is 10+ years old and still has better range than a modern radio..!! ?

IMG_6790.jpeg

I went out yesterday to run, and I had nothing but range issues. I've got a Futaba 3PV with an R2006GS receiver so I know the capability is there. My antennas don't stick out above the body; at their highest they're probably only 3-3.5 inches above the chassis plate. I've got an antenna mount that will raise everything up another inch, and I can also raise up the whole receiver box. Should that be enough to fix my issues? I think I'm running about 1200' feet away.

I went out yesterday to run, and I had nothing but range issues. I've got a Futaba 3PV with an R2006GS receiver so I know the capability is there. My antennas don't stick out above the body; at their highest they're probably only 3-3.5 inches above the chassis plate. I've got an antenna mount that will raise everything up another inch, and I can also raise up the whole receiver box. Should that be enough to fix my issues? I think I'm running about 1200' feet away.
I had really weird range issues with the 3PV. Some days I could go 1000 ft and other days I couldn't go beyond 300ft. With no changes to the setup. I have to assume interference.

Having the RX antenna high vertically will help. You may want to try a 3DBI booster antenna. I have been using one and so far it seems to work although I never compared the difference in range. I had my original antenna break in a crash.

1593699258720.png

That’s an air receiver. You would be better off with a surface receiver, like the R304SB.

I'll definitely look into the R304SB if I continue to have trouble. Today's pursuit: seeing if the raised antennas gives me some more reliable running. Overall the tip of each wire is close to 2.5" higher than before; I used 2 aluminum R/C boat antenna mounts to more directly feed the wires, and the whole receiver box is now lifted off the chassis. I'll run this afternoon and report how it goes!
Raised Antenna Body Off.jpg
Raised Antenna Body On.jpg

I'll definitely look into the R304SB if I continue to have trouble. Today's pursuit: seeing if the raised antennas gives me some more reliable running. Overall the tip of each wire is close to 2.5" higher than before; I used 2 aluminum R/C boat antenna mounts to more directly feed the wires, and the whole receiver box is now lifted off the chassis. I'll run this afternoon and report how it goes!
View attachment 88027View attachment 88030
Your heat shrink, soldering and wire management are perfection ?

Your heat shrink, soldering and wire management are perfection ?
Thank you sir; it is one of my favorite parts of a build.

As for testing yesterday, my range was definitely better but I still intermittently lost control of the car when turning it around at the beginning and end of the run. I think for now, I'll just run within my known limits and slowly work my way out.

Thank you sir; it is one of my favorite parts of a build.

As for testing yesterday, my range was definitely better but I still intermittently lost control of the car when turning it around at the beginning and end of the run. I think for now, I'll just run within my known limits and slowly work my way out.
If you really are getting 1200 feet away, that has to be pretty hard to see your rig at that point. I know at about 900 feet, mine is hard to tell which way it’s pointing. I even have LED tail lights and it is orange from the front and black in the rear, and even with all of that, it’s hard to tell. I don’t have any issues with range with the booster and the R304SB as long as my Rx antenna is in good shape and well placed away from all other electronics. I might start using a ladder to try to get more visual clues on direction to get a longer run up. But I don’t know if a longer pass really is needed in my case as I can usually get a full pass in the 1500 feet that I normally run within.

If you really are getting 1200 feet away, that has to be pretty hard to see your rig at that point. I know at about 900 feet, mine is hard to tell which way it’s pointing. I even have LED tail lights and it is orange from the front and black in the rear, and even with all of that, it’s hard to tell. I don’t have any issues with range with the booster and the R304SB as long as my Rx antenna is in good shape and well placed away from all other electronics. I might start using a ladder to try to get more visual clues on direction to get a longer run up. But I don’t know if a longer pass really is needed in my case as I can usually get a full pass in the 1500 feet that I normally run within.
I think I'm taking too long to accelerate, so I'm using up more space than I need to. This is my first time with an XLX or a TP motor, so I'm really playing it safe with the electronics. But to be fair, my last log shows me taking 16 seconds to get to full speed (and I never quite got to 100% throttle) which is way, way too long. Also, 1200 feet is a rough guess, but I can confirm from Google Maps that it's at least 1000 feet. So next time, I'll worry less about how far away I can still control the car and more about getting and staying on wide-open throttle. Thanks for sharing your distances; that helps put things in perspective!

I think I'm taking too long to accelerate, so I'm using up more space than I need to. This is my first time with an XLX or a TP motor, so I'm really playing it safe with the electronics. But to be fair, my last log shows me taking 16 seconds to get to full speed (and I never quite got to 100% throttle) which is way, way too long. Also, 1200 feet is a rough guess, but I can confirm from Google Maps that it's at least 1000 feet. So next time, I'll worry less about how far away I can still control the car and more about getting and staying on wide-open throttle. Thanks for sharing your distances; that helps put things in perspective!
I think a 10 second pass is plenty with 2 seconds of WOT. Those last 2 seconds will cover ground way quicker than you think. They cover as much ground as the first 8 seconds.

A lot of people speak highly of this radio, but I have no first hand experience with it.
They appear to have made it with range in mind...

https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Tr...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
I run this, can confirm stupidly long range. Much better feeling build quality than any Spektrum I've handled. Good response time and tons of programmable features. Inexpensive receivers, including some itty bitty ones for small scale. Only gripe is 10 model memory max, but I'm probably going to keep cars that are not for sharing on it (Limitless, Nero, etc.)

I run this, can confirm stupidly long range. Much better feeling build quality than any Spektrum I've handled. Good response time and tons of programmable features. Inexpensive receivers, including some itty bitty ones for small scale. Only gripe is 10 model memory max, but I'm probably going to keep cars that are not for sharing on it (Limitless, Nero, etc.)
That's the one I have. But I've heard it cutting out around 2k feet. My Limitless is setup to go really fast, but needs room get there and also room for me to bring it to a stop. Hence my concern. Have you ever measured the range of it?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back