Radio upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger nelson

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
anyone have a favorite aftermarket radio system? Favorite radio system under 100 bucks? 200 bucks?

@roger nelson I have had many radio's since being in the hobby and without a doubt my most favorite radio is the Futaba brand. I have the Futaba 4PL which has since been improved and replaced by the Futaba 4PLS.

If you're only running the Arrma RC then this is probably going to be a huge overkill for you. But if you do run more RC's or plan to then I'd really consider the Futaba. Another radio system would be the Spektrum DX4C.

If you want really inexpensive then the Tactic TTX300 makes a fine radio. About as plain jane as you can get but is 2.4Ghz and offers pretty nice range. My dad actually uses a Tactic radio with his Axial SCX10.

I have been using Futaba (linked to the Robbe brand in Europe) radios for my cars, boats and airplanes since 1987. I still have my first and second set, which both still work!!!

I loved my 3PKS pistol transmitter from Futaba for my 4 wheel steering Axial AX-10.

Unfortunately they are expensive on my side of the pond, otherwise I would have bought another one.

Spectrum, Hi-Tec and Kyosho also make good radio's

Have been thinking over a single transmitter. Just having to carry one pistol would be nice. Maybe some telemetry and a cup holder. Ashtray. . The p4x is pretty slick by futaba.

Last edited:
Do they have them in green with a soda cooler?...:D

Actually they have green decals to make it green, or any other color or print :D
Some people like to customize...

I have considering one transmitter for all, including telemetry and off course model memory. But price wise a HobbyKing 2,4Mhz 2 channel pistol grip transmitter is so cheap and good...

I use the Spektrum dx4c and love it. I have used spektrum for years on my helis and have found them to be a nice, reliable, good bang for the buck option. I had an older spektrum surface transmitter (dx2s?) that was cheap feeling and had poor range but the current offerings seem to be much better in these areas.

The dx4c is available with the waterproof 4210 receiver which gives you their AVC (active vehicle control). I really can not say enough about how great of a feature this is. Look into it if you are not familiar, it just makes so much sense on a high powered 2wd vehicle. It is very effective and not intrusive at all when adjusted properly which is all done through the transmitter. You will need to upgrade to a digital servo to make use of it. I went with the wp hitec but there are plenty of cheaper options.

Horizon is doing a trade in program right now on transmitters and I believe the dx4c is $40 off if you send them your old one.

Last edited:
The FlySky GT3C has been on my radar for quite a while now, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. It's a 3 channel radio for around $50 and the best part is it will bind with the stock receiver that is currently in my Fury BLX. This is a great upgrade over any RTR radio system, especially for that price.

....and the best part is it will bind with the stock receiver that is currently in my Fury BLX. ...

I heard this rumour before.
Did you try it yourself?

HobbyKing is offering those FlySky's surface radios under their own brand name.
I have tried to bind it with my Arrma receivers, but it did not work.

I heard this rumour before.
Did you try it yourself?

HobbyKing is offering those FlySky's surface radios under their own brand name.
I have tried to bind it with my Arrma receivers, but it did not work.

No, haven't tried this personally, but I remember reading somewhere that it should work with the FlySky transmitter. I believe that the Axial AR-3 and Arrma ARX100 receivers are both made by FlySky (heck the Axial AX-3 and Arrma ATX 100 transmitters look identical), and I know that others were able to bind the Axial AR-3 to the FlySky GT-3C. But don't quote me on that, it may just be hearsay.

Even if it doesn't work, FlySky receivers are going for $7 on eBay and $10 on amazon, so no big deal.

Track star Ts3t radio.good price,wonder if it is any good. Anyone tried this system?

No, haven't tried this personally, but I remember reading somewhere that it should work with the FlySky transmitter. I believe that the Axial AR-3 and Arrma ARX100 receivers are both made by FlySky (heck the Axial AX-3 and Arrma ATX 100 transmitters look identical), and I know that others were able to bind the Axial AR-3 to the FlySky GT-3C. But don't quote me on that, it may just be hearsay.

Even if it doesn't work, FlySky receivers are going for $7 on eBay and $10 on amazon, so no big deal.

I think I read the same thread as you did.
I can tell you as an owner of both brands they do not bind and are not made by FlySky. They look like the Hobbico default transmitter, but next to each other the difference are obvious.

Indeed the FlySky transmitters and receivers are pricewise very good value for the money. And very cheap!

Has anyone done a conversion to Spektrum DX4C/S with a 4210 AVC receiver? I have an Arrma Kraton and I think this would suit me to be able to do that conversion.

Well...I am saving up for it...:rolleyes:
But it will be January before I can give you my verdict..:D
So anyone else can say something about this receiver/transmitter set-up...It would be much appreciated... :)

Well...I am saving up for it...:rolleyes:
But it will be January before I can give you my verdict..:D
So anyone else can say something about this receiver/transmitter set-up...It would be much appreciated... :)
It's not the cheapest option but it would allow for use on other models as well, has a couple of extra channels too!
The Futaba is a great radio but quite a bit more to buy........ Is it worth it?

Check out my post on the dx4c above if you missed it. That is one bad ass radio system!
I see, that sounds like it's a good fit for me. I guess I need to know what's involved in doing the conversion, I'll need a digital servo won't I ? And can I use the receiver box that it in the Kraton now. I'm just getting back into the r/c field again and these 2.4 systems are all new to me!! I remember having to swap crystals for different channels!! Does this show how long I've been away?!

Yes, a digital servo is required for the avc. Not sure about your receiver box, but the one on my granite was too small. The receiver is waterproof so I just got rid of the box.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back