Radiolink RC6GS throttle setups for speed runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notorious J

It's gonna break, so might as well send it!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Granite
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
The title says it all. I've got my MMX8S mapped out nicely, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out the Throttle expo and throttle speed configurations for this radio. Some of you have seen my data logs and know just how terrible I am at controlling my Typhon. I hate that I need to use Ai to make my passes better, but I aslo don't want to destroy any of my electronics. Hopefully this will become a thread that others can find easily when searching the forum for tips.

The title says it all. I've got my MMX8S mapped out nicely, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out the Throttle expo and throttle speed configurations for this radio. Some of you have seen my data logs and know just how terrible I am at controlling my Typhon. I hate that I need to use Ai to make my passes better, but I aslo don't want to destroy any of my electronics. Hopefully this will become a thread that others can find easily when searching the forum for tips.
What's Ai? Maybe that will help to

I just installed 8s 1650 I run 4s for now that mofo is stupid fast I'm hesitant about putting other battery in. I'm geared at 34/ 34 spool

I would do dry runs at home, meaning hold the controller in your hand with all power off and get your muscle memory trained to pull slow and smooth. Repeat this until you get good at pulling for a minimum of 5 seconds. I feel like 6-7 seconds is perfect for me, but I have counted other people’s passes and they seem to pull about 5 seconds.

What's Ai? Maybe that will help to

I just installed 8s 1650 I run 4s for now that mofo is stupid fast I'm hesitant about putting other battery in. I'm geared at 34/ 34 spool
Artificial intelligence
I would do dry runs at home, meaning hold the controller in your hand with all power off and get your muscle memory trained to pull slow and smooth. Repeat this until you get good at pulling for a minimum of 5 seconds. I feel like 6-7 seconds is perfect for me, but I have counted other people’s passes and they seem to pull about 5 seconds.
I've had huge problems in the last few years with carpal tunnel (surgery on both wrists) and more recently, trigger finger of the ring finger of my left hand. My fingers start to go numb while I'm using my rc's so it's not like I can let go and shake my hand in the middle of a run. Once I start, I have to go to the end. At the end of each pass, I sit the radio down and shake my hand until the numbness and tingling goes away. Your excercises would be brutal for me. Even wrenching is done in spurts now, but thankfully it's my left hand that's more affected at the moment. So now be a sport, and show me how you set up your radio. I promise, I won't tell anyone.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Perfect pass module, or the Noble NB4 radio (with signal booster) would be ideal for you.
I have started to think about the perfect pass, but figured I'd try different set ups with the RC6GS first. If done properly, I'm sure it would have similar results to the perfect pass. Maybe not as precise, but better than my current setup and execution.

If you mean throttle Expo I have mine set to -30% in the RC6GS. First Scroll down to "6.THEXP" and the "C.FWD-EXP". If you have watched my 97mph pass the car followed the -30% pass even if it was a short pass. I like it very much. First I started with -15, and -25, and then -30. I probably won't go any lower than that.

I have started to think about the perfect pass, but figured I'd try different set ups with the RC6GS first. If done properly, I'm sure it would have similar results to the perfect pass. Maybe not as precise, but better than my current setup and execution.
All the settings in your radio won’t come close to a Perfect Pass or CH Speed setting. They may delay roll out by a second or two, but not close to the 5-7 seconds you likely need. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah like Jon said this radio does not have the setting you are looking for.
You would either need the perfect pass or swap to the Noble NB4 radio.
I hear you but I'm still going to give a couple of adjustments a try. There are two settings, throttle expo and throttle speed. One actually deletes the other when activated. I am going to give the throttle speed function a try which basically allows for a curve to be set by one given percentage. @Exc3l pointed it out in an earlier post, so I was able to find and adjust it. Hopefully this, mated with the throttle curve adjusted on the esc, will help bring better results. As has always been the case, my speed run progress is following a much longer path than many, so for now I'll enjoy the passes with the new motor, pinion changes and hopefully better throttle control. Since there is no prize for being the fastest and other than Genss Ace helping me out a bit with batteries, the need for speed is flowing at a snail's pace.

I hear you but I'm still going to give a couple of adjustments a try. There are two settings, throttle expo and throttle speed. One actually deletes the other when activated. I am going to give the throttle speed function a try which basically allows for a curve to be set by one given percentage. @Exc3l pointed it out in an earlier post, so I was able to find and adjust it. Hopefully this, mated with the throttle curve adjusted on the esc, will help bring better results. As has always been the case, my speed run progress is following a much longer path than many, so for now I'll enjoy the passes with the new motor, pinion changes and hopefully better throttle control. Since there is no prize for being the fastest and other than Genss Ace helping me out a bit with batteries, the need for speed is flowing at a snail's pace.
Let us know how that setting works out for you.
I honestly had not noticed it in the radio setup, but was not looking for it either (I am using the RadioLink currently also)

I sympathize with the trigger finger issue. A good friend just went through surgeries for 5 of his fingers that experience this trigger finger issue. He was showing me how they more or less get stuck in the movement and wont release back to normal.

Let us know how that setting works out for you.
I honestly had not noticed it in the radio setup, but was not looking for it either (I am using the RadioLink currently also)

I sympathize with the trigger finger issue. A good friend just went through surgeries for 5 of his fingers that experience this trigger finger issue. He was showing me how they more or less get stuck in the movement and wont release back to normal.
I'm at stage one where a Cortazone shot was needed to free it up slightly, but it never actually returned fully to it's normal position. I expect it will only get worse as time goes on, but I'm not gonna let it stop me from enjoying the hobby. Come on Doc! Tape it, I gotta get back in the game!😁

I would be careful with curves as they back load the power band. Sure they roll out slower but when they exponentially ramp up on the back side, you are basically ending up with the same heavy trigger in the end. That’s why the PP and CH Speed features are different. They still have the flat linear input, but just delay the 0-100% pull on the time setting you choose.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back