Radiolink RC8X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a yes for me. Like I said before I bought it, I wanted it just for the looks and cheap receivers.
I know that eventually, I will get this. For me, it's about how soon. I don't need to rush out for it. But the fact that all my receivers are compatible helps.

1000001024.png

So....the million dollar question:
Worth it?

I gotta admit, I always have a hard time answering that question about anything. 'cause is it worth $280? I don't know, it is for some, it isn't for others. If you asked me if it's better than the Noble/MT-5/4PM/DX5 Pro, I can say it is in some ways, and it's worse in some ways.

Is a Traxxas XRT worth $1k? I don't know, it depends on who you are, how much you have, and what you're looking for.

I gotta admit, I always have a hard time answering that question about anything. 'cause is it worth $280? I don't know, it is for some, it isn't for others. If you asked me if it's better than the Noble/MT-5/4PM/DX5 Pro, I can say it is in some ways, and it's worse in some ways.

Is a Traxxas XRT worth $1k? I don't know, it depends on who you are, how much you have, and what you're looking for.
Fair enough. Your first reaction on how it's similar tells me the screen is nice but reaction times are not really improved.

Aliexpress - Ordered 11/26 - delivered 12/9 (~2 weeks)

@Mikeeal that will be a very tight fit at 15mm height. Did you try it yet?

So far I'm happy with it.
I did update to their latest version, update is smooth but look at Youtube video.
Menu and everything has changed, highly suggest updating right away.

All model related alarms can be set per model.
Haven't gotten video to work yet, but not a dealbreaker, might be my equipment.
Fairly intuitive menu, didn't need a manual unlike on my other transmitters.

Battery life:
On 8x NimH (AAA 1100mAh) 9.6V nom
180mA at full screen backlight (100%), 150mA @ 50%. Outdoors 50% backlight is a minimum imho.
You can set a switch to turn off the screen completely (and back on) ~ 120mA.
With some spiffy math and using about 80% of usable capacity, you get
~800mAh usable
800/180 = 4.4h (full screen)
800/150 = 5.3h
800/120 = 6.6h
I'd say easy 5h with mixed use. That is with safety margin , add another 40min-1h on top for totally dead.

LED setting (full, breathe etc.) has no impact.
--
on
3S (11V), current draw goes down to ~ 150/120/100

Love it, great thing imho, don't regret it one bit.
I do seem to have an issue with 1 of the new receivers, it looses bind.

Con: That battery compartment is very shallow.
Internal height is ~14mm
AAA works with provided tray
AA won't fit without rework, power connector would need adjustment plus other stuff.
18650 just a little to tall to fit :mad:

3S packs, I have 4 small 450mAh and they work ~ 3h use
2S packs might work, but current draw goes up to ~ 230mA i.e. need higher capacity to make up the difference.

A see a custom pack in my future, or I just deal with the AAA, they work well for me in other stuff.

I did update to their latest version, update is smooth but look at Youtube video.

Battery life:
180mA at full screen backlight (100%), 150mA @ 50%. Outdoors 50% backlight is a minimum imho.
~800mAh usable
800/150 = 5.3h
800/120 = 6.6h
I'd say easy 5h with mixed use. That is with safety margin , add another 40min-1h on top for totally dead.

--
on

Internal height is ~14mm
AA won't fit without rework, power connector would need adjustment plus other stuff.

2S packs might work, but current draw goes up to ~ 230mA i.e. need higher capacity to make up the difference.

A see a custom pack in my future, or I just deal with the AAA, they work well for me in other stuff.
So the same batteries that fit in the rc6 won't fit in this new radio? Nice write up!

Battery life:
~800mAh usable
800/150 = 5.3h
800/120 = 6.6h

--
on

Internal height is ~14mm

I just ordered the battery earlier today. I'll update here when it shows up.

Please do, when I measure I get 15-15.5mm clearance. It will be very tight.

RC6 has a AA tray, that alone is ~16mm thick. If you remove it, you have roughly 22 mm in the battery compartment.
Yes, big difference and probably the only mistake they've made on the 8.

Please do, when I measure I get 15-15.5mm clearance. It will be very tight.

RC6 has a AA tray, that alone is ~16mm thick. If you remove it, you have roughly 22 mm in the battery compartment.
Yes, big difference and probably the only mistake they've made on the 8.
wow that really sucks.

The battery tray tapers, it gets to 12mm deep (shallow?) on one side. Officially the size is 92x52x14.5mm.

Not really a taper as it has some ribs, spaced for AA, but they don't fit height wise. The ribs are leveld. Might be able to shave just a tinny bit off and gain some height.
Yes 14.5 to the slider but the lid itself has minimal room as well. Hard to measure, I believe the 14.5 spec and maybe 0.5mm wiggle room.

If it doesn't fit, just flatten that battery with a hammer ;)

Hi all

Sorry been fairly busy last few months.
I wanted a premium controller but couldn't justify the cost for a Futaba etc They are nice, but the way I play. I'll defo drop, scratch, forget it on the roof of my car etc,

So wanted something premium but without that much cost so it wouldn't sting as much when I broke it. This seemed to fit the bill but I couldn't find any videos, reviews etc. So I made my own. LoL

Ok this was my 1st video where I actually talked so apologies in advance for the crudeness of it. I'm setting uo to do a range test next week now that I'm on leave. Will also post that here. Anyways. Links below

Back