Radiolink Receiver Options - Speed Run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Does anyone have experience with other RadioLink Receivers? I'm using the Radiolink RC6GS V3 on my Limitless. I have a new build coming with an Rlaarlo AK-917 and need to add the radio.

The current receiver, shipped with the transmitter, is the R7FG. Which is overkill with 7 channels. There are some options that take a little less space and actually upgrade the distance in one case.

I'm looking at the R4FGM. It's the smallest receiver they have.
1679264838847.png

The downgrade is Voltage and distance.

It's limited to 6V max, I "think" I'm running 5.5V on the BEC anyway. For the distance, the road I use for speed runs is 1700 ft, end to end. I'm in the middle and have about 850 ft on either side. 400m = 1320ft. So for my current conditions it should be fine.
1679264555183.png

Has anyone used these smaller receivers am I over looking anything? I don't know if it's an honest 400m?

Does anyone have experience with other RadioLink Receivers? I'm using the Radiolink RC6GS V3 on my Limitless. I have a new build coming with an Rlaarlo AK-917 and need to add the radio.

The current receiver, shipped with the transmitter, is the R7FG. Which is overkill with 7 channels. There are some options that take a little less space and actually upgrade the distance in one case.

I'm looking at the R4FGM. It's the smallest receiver they have.
View attachment 286705

The downgrade is Voltage and distance.

It's limited to 6V max, I "think" I'm running 5.5V on the BEC anyway. For the distance, the road I use for speed runs is 1700 ft, end to end. I'm in the middle and have about 850 ft on either side. 400m = 1320ft. So for my current conditions it should be fine.
View attachment 286703

Has anyone used these smaller receivers am I over looking anything? I don't know if it's an honest 400m?
The R7FG receiver that came with your radio is excellent. Has a built in gyro, and much better range than an R4. Not overkill at all, it just has three more slots and a much better set of features, including battery telemetry. Don’t get why you’d want to downgrade for extra money?

Also, your RC6GS can run a 4s battery instead of the aaa’s. Will increase your range even more, especially if you bump up your ESC’s BEC voltage. Your R7 receiver supports up to 15v!

Also, your RC6GS can run a 4s battery instead of the aaa’s. Will increase your range even more, especially if you bump up your ESC’s BEC voltage. Your R7 receiver supports up to 15v!
Purely motivated by space.

I would keep the same transmitter just swap to a tiny 4 channel receiver. I really only need steering and gearing. I might add some lights at some point, just for visibility.

More volts = more range? I haven't heard of this, I assumed they regulated everything down to 3.3V, 2.5V or something in the digital world. But the actual radio is analog, so it's possible, just never heard of it ... or thought about it.

Purely motivated by space.

I would keep the same transmitter just swap to a tiny 4 channel receiver. I really only need steering and gearing. I might add some lights at some point, just for visibility.

More volts = more range? I haven't heard of this, I assumed they regulated everything down to 3.3V, 2.5V or something in the digital world. But the actual radio is analog, so it's possible, just never heard of it ... or thought about it.
You’re only talking a couple of mm’s of difference between the R4 and the R6. And yes, the higher the receiver and the transmitter voltage the more range you’ll get. More watts=better broadcast, just like old-school AM radio. I heard it on the X. And you said this was for a speed run application, so go for the range. And the gyro! You might find a better road and wouldn’t want to be limited to a 400 meter range, right?

You’re only talking a couple of mm’s of difference between the R4 and the R6. And yes, the higher the receiver and the transmitter voltage the more range you’ll get. More watts=better broadcast, just like old-school AM radio. I heard it on the X. And you said this was for a speed run application, so go for the range. And the gyro! You might find a better road and wouldn’t want to be limited to a 400 meter range, right?

You are right it's possible that I might find a better road someday. But I live in an urban area so it' going to be a long drive to find something better so I'm not looking for another road anytime soon.

Your point is taken though. Probably not worth the trouble of reconfiguring the entire thing.

You are right it's possible that I might find a better road someday. But I live in an urban area so it' going to be a long drive to find something better so I'm not looking for another road anytime soon.

Your point is taken though. Probably not worth the trouble of reconfiguring the entire thing.
Yes, the width is the same and the R7 is only 10mm longer. That extra 10mm gets you a whole lot more, too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back