Radios with speedometer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dauransx

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Looking for a radio with a speedometer built in like the DX2E with the speedometer bundle or others like it for under $200. I don't like the flysky one because its based on reflective stuff and seems like RPM is the simple solution but i don't know how i feel about Spektrum

Looking for a radio with a speedometer built in like the DX2E with the speedometer bundle or others like it for under $200. I don't like the flysky one because its based on reflective stuff and seems like RPM is the simple solution but i don't know how i feel about Spektrum
I think they are all based off reflective stuff, aren't they? Or a magnet. Stuck to a drive shaft, then you do the math to figure out rotations per foot or something and program it in.

I had it on my old DX3S. The range of the telemetry was horrible. Only got any readings when it was within 75 feet of me. Didn't matter a whole lot as the range of the receiver was only 150 feet anyway. lol Might be better these days.

I think they are all based off reflective stuff, aren't they? Or a magnet. Stuck to a drive shaft, then you do the math to figure out rotations per foot or something and program it in.

I had it on my old DX3S. The range of the telemetry was horrible. Only got any readings when it was within 75 feet of me. Didn't matter a whole lot as the range of the receiver was only 150 feet anyway. lol Might be better these days.
The spektrum one is RPM. You connect 2 wires to the motor cables and it reads the rpm and turns it into MPH. The Flysky is reflective and magnet. I just looked and Spektrum has GPS versions but not for DSMR's only their air radios and the GPS thingy has all or most telemetry with speed. Sucks they cant make it for DSMR...

The spektrum one is RPM. You connect 2 wires to the motor cables and it reads the rpm and turns it into MPH. The Flysky is reflective and magnet. I just looked and Spektrum has GPS versions but not for DSMR's only their air radios and the GPS thingy has all or most telemetry with speed. Sucks they cant make it for DSMR...
Oh, I didn't realize they did that for electric. I had it when I ran nitro, and it used a magnet I think glued to the shaft or flywheel.

Oh, I didn't realize they did that for electric. I had it when I ran nitro, and it used a magnet I think glued to the shaft or flywheel.
Yeah its set by motor pole count and how many times the pinion spins when you roll the car for w/e distance (forgot).

Yeah its set by motor pole count and how many times the pinion spins when you roll the car for w/e distance

Given the extreme expansion of rc tires that would be massively inaccurate. Nobody does a gps setup?

Given the extreme expansion of rc tires that would be massively inaccurate. Nobody does a gps setup?
Thats why its set up by the pinion with the tires but my thought would be tire spin and it saying 50mph while you are spinning out. I don't know if that system really is accurate but Horizon seems to back it but it is their brand. From what i seen, none does GPS but the ones with air radio's. Like Spektrum has https://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-Air...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZHGCXZDMPC1RR723EQ13 which has GPS speed, motor temp and batt volts and more in one small receiver box so you would think they would just let it work with the DX5R and the DX6R and boom, have GPS speed readings but nope, not for DSMR radios.... You would also think they would do that because so many people wants to see their cars speed with GPS and this would be a plug and play setup.

Sorry, you meant ballooning? yeah...

Last edited:
don't see any Youtube vids on any of this for speed readings on any of these radios with speedometers besides the one by
which is a badly done vid in my opinion and does not show how good it works and no other details. Seems like Youtubers do not care about speedometers and are just happy to use beeper style GPS or $800 phones. I think its a cool idea to see your top speed in hand live and well worth the investment in developing a GPS version then a RPM one for low end radios to high end.

Subbed. I would like to know if anyone knows of anything like this that would work.

Seems like Youtubers do not care about speedometers and are just happy to use beeper style GPS or $800 phones.

When I did have it on the remote, it didn't give me much because your eyes are on the vehicle anyway. Using an old Garmin or something works fine to check it once. Unless you regear, that's how fast it goes and it's not something you really need to monitor. It just lets you answer the question when asked. Also lets you know why "that one truck" can clear a gap that your other cannot.

I now know it takes at least 50mph to clear a gap I have never cleared before launching out of my skate park. :)

My outcast does 52mph now that I'm running 6S. My ERBE and savage flux run 44-45. They cannot reach the gap... even if they could though... they would likely implode on landing. lol!

I know everyone hates Traxxas but this is about the only one I can find that is GPS capable that is even close to $200. I came up with $206.94 with shipping for just the Transmitter, bluetooth module, receiver GPS module and telemetry module.

This is the transmitter with the bluetooth module and a receiver.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BRUSHL...652200&hash=item3d86f09885:g:1J8AAOSwfVpYuLHR

Here is the GPS module https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-65...809749&hash=item3fb8fd0b37:g:TFEAAOSw6CRcWV2M

The Telemetry Expander https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-65...394952&hash=item4d90ef1927:g:M4YAAOSwZ2pcbgqp

If you want you can add the temp sensor https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-65...8FbOUmf:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!57701!US!-1

If you already have a current Traxxas model you will only need the bluetooth module, the gps module and the telemetry module.

Bluetooth module by itself https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Li...037970&hash=item56750f3139:g:yvkAAOSwBLlVVOLD

When I did have it on the remote, it didn't give me much because your eyes are on the vehicle anyway. Using an old Garmin or something works fine to check it once. Unless you regear, that's how fast it goes and it's not something you really need to monitor. It just lets you answer the question when asked. Also lets you know why "that one truck" can clear a gap that your other cannot.

I now know it takes at least 50mph to clear a gap I have never cleared before launching out of my skate park. :)

My outcast does 52mph now that I'm running 6S. My ERBE and savage flux run 44-45. They cannot reach the gap... even if they could though... they would likely implode on landing. lol!
To be fair, it takes a second to look at a speedometer on a trans but doing 100mph ish is a bad idea but its an option regardless and more so for cars that do 60mph or so. This option for GPS is an option and would cost the same or less (also weigh less) then a GPS screen you have to put into the car and take out each time you want to see your speed and with it on the Trans you would not have to deal with that because it would have the same top speed logs you can look at on the fly. Most high end Trans has the ability to support such a thing.

Last edited:
I know everyone hates Traxxas but this is about the only one I can find that is GPS capable that is even close to $200. I came up with $206.94 with shipping for just the Transmitter, bluetooth module, receiver GPS module and telemetry module.
Looks good but i don't have a phone!!!

Old thread but never saw hitec lynx 4s radio suggestion on. It has built in gps module in proton 4 receiver. Most simple setup to have speedometer. But this receiver looks big to fit receiver box.

I had the DX2E with the mobile app for speed, temps, and motor rpm. I like the app graphics/layout. Just couldn't handle the short range on spektrum radios and sold it. (I like to go very fast and need extreme range so I converted to Futaba)

If money is no object then Eagle tree makes good wireless telemetry systems with a 10Hz gps unit and every other sensor type you could imagine. It would run as a separate function from your radio on 900Mhz so it will go for around 6+ miles range
https://www.eagletreesystems.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=63_71

I am going to get their pitot tube (air speed) setup for my windtunnel :)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back