Raider Raider blown motor with new battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekkerz

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
Hi all, first time poster. Recently upgraded my Raider battery to a FLOUREON 2S2P 7.4V 6200mAh 40C.

Gave it a blast for around ten minutes and was loving it until smoke started appearing from the motor - never a good thing. Car now seems underpowered (unless the battery had drained) so suspect the motor is shot.

Questions for the more informed:

- is this battery too much for the standard motor to handle? Browsing various posts I figured it would be ok.
- if the answer to above is 'yes', any suggestions on a replacement upgraded motor?

Also, are the two wires from the standard motor meant to be joined as per attached photo, or have they seized together due to overheating? Hard for me to tell and I can't remember what it looked like out of the box.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20191114_194157.jpg
    IMG_20191114_194157.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 77
Looks like the wires have got too hot along with the motor and melted the insulation. Replace the motor and wires.

Possibly but I think you'll find the damage has already been done to the motor. Shorted or melted the brushes, damaged magnets. The brushed Arrma motors aren't overly expensive. I think the Arrma motor comes with the wires too.

Ok, thanks.

Obviously want to avoid this happening again - have I overshot with this upgraded battery? Or can I shield the wires? Not sure if this is a common problem?

I'm not familiar with the Raider but being a brushed motor i think 2S is the max size lipo so it should be ok. Maybe a Raider owner can answer your questions better. Brushed motors don't last long and can overheat fast if loaded up. Were you running it in long grass or hot day or fitted big tyres or changed gearing or held the power on with the tyres unable to turn?

Ok, thanks.

Obviously want to avoid this happening again - have I overshot with this upgraded battery? Or can I shield the wires? Not sure if this is a common problem?

It will differ from person to person but heat is the indicator if something is being stressed to much. If you don't have a temp gun get one and try to keep the motor below 160F and no more than 180F at the end of the run (LVC).

It's a brushed motor they are a disposable item just try to keep it clean and put a drop of oil every now and then on the bushings on the front and rear shaft of the motor.

Honestly I would not bother with another brushed motor and go brushless.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back