Raider Raider Mega Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeeterTotter

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
Hello!

I have just gotten back into RC cars after a 8 year hiatus. Anyways I bought my son a Traxxas slash for his birthday and soon after decided that it would be more fun if I bought something for myself so we could race! :) So I purchased a Raider Mega, it works great but it could use a bit more speed. I've been contemplating purchasing the BLS motor and ESC. Has anyone here done this swap or is there a better system out there for cheaper? I'm not looking to pull insane wheelies all day, just a little more power would be nice! Also would I need to upgrade my transmission any? Thanks in advance!

you would need to swap the servo as well to get to brushless and upgrade the tranny to metal
there is a thread that is names something along the lines of "upgrading to blx metal"

you would need to swap the servo as well to get to brushless and upgrade the tranny to metal
there is a thread that is names something along the lines of "upgrading to blx metal"
I'm recently back into RC also with a raider mega. I was looking at the BLS system as well. Why do you say to change servo? Seems both Mega and BLS come stock with same servo.

The reason for the servo change is that the stock servo's gears are plastic and can strip quite easily. The other reason for the upgrade is the low torque (5kg),which you will notice especially on high grip surfaces or off-roading.

Thanks Dreadstar!

TeeterTotter not trying to steal your thread..... Figured the info could help both of us!

image.jpeg

Looks like shocks might need to be an upgrade for the future! I'd rather be cleaning dirt off my RC than shock oil. Lol

View attachment 1824

Looks like shocks might need to be an upgrade for the future! I'd rather be cleaning dirt off my RC than shock oil. Lol

Agreed!
I've found Windex or simple green do a nice job on these silicone based lubricants.
Still gotta get some WD-40 for around the rear end.
[DOUBLEPOST=1464055220][/DOUBLEPOST]I'll be most curious on what you get for a shock upgrade.

Agreed!
I've found Windex or simple green do a nice job on these silicone based lubricants.
Still gotta get some WD-40 for around the rear end.
[DOUBLEPOST=1464055220][/DOUBLEPOST]I'll be most curious on what you get for a shock upgrade.
Simple Green is great stuff!!! Use it for a lot of different things!
You still running stock shocks on your Raider?

Simple Green is great stuff!!! Use it for a lot of different things!
You still running stock shocks on your Raider?

*sigh* Yeah...
More like reassembleing the stock shocks from popping caps.
I got some cheap China shocks on eBay that cracked badly. Also the oil inside smelled like old, old motor oil. Took a lot to clean them out. In the end, got a credit for them. I tried to buy aluminum caps at the LHS, he just laughed at me so I quietly left.

*sigh* Yeah...
More like reassembleing the stock shocks from popping caps.
I got some cheap China shocks on eBay that cracked badly. Also the oil inside smelled like old, old motor oil. Took a lot to clean them out. In the end, got a credit for them. I tried to buy aluminum caps at the LHS, he just laughed at me so I quietly left.
Sounds like a good businessman. No wonder everyone turns to the inter web!!

Sounds like a good businessman. No wonder everyone turns to the inter web!!
I was at the local fly park, buzzing with the Aton and you know how RC guys are, we all talk, we all help each other.
So I ask the guys where they go for parts and stuff.
A few guys made the comment of the LHS treating customers with "a cold shoulder".
Was a a perfect description.
Another comment was on the theme of if you didn't do things their way they did you were not wanted.
I don't mind spending the premium $s there cuz they have it in stock.
But when they want to order something for me, heck, I can do that too...
It's an interesting business model because you have serious guys to noob's and age from 8 to 80, or at least that's the range at the fly park.

Last edited:
Careful how much power you put into that thing. I stripped my gears inside the gearbox a few times with a velineon brushless motor and 2s battery. I couldn't find any metal gearbox upgrades for the 1/10 raider so I purchased the new 1/8 scale which has the metal gears in it for you.

Careful how much power you put into that thing. I stripped my gears inside the gearbox a few times with a velineon brushless motor and 2s battery. I couldn't find any metal gearbox upgrades for the 1/10 raider so I purchased the new 1/8 scale which has the metal gears in it for you.

I thought the 1/10 BLX version was metal gears??

Actually the new raider XL mega has metal gears inside the gearbox!!

I guess your right. You aren't talking about the 1/8. I can't remember why but I thought I couldn't do it on my 1/10. Hope you can bro !

Hello!

I have just gotten back into RC cars after a 8 year hiatus. Anyways I bought my son a Traxxas slash for his birthday and soon after decided that it would be more fun if I bought something for myself so we could race! :) So I purchased a Raider Mega, it works great but it could use a bit more speed. I've been contemplating purchasing the BLS motor and ESC. Has anyone here done this swap or is there a better system out there for cheaper? I'm not looking to pull insane wheelies all day, just a little more power would be nice! Also would I need to upgrade my transmission any? Thanks in advance!
Im new to RC hobby. Recently bought a raider xl mega by accident. I thought i bought raider xl blx. Went back home then realized i bought the wrong model. The mega xl. So 2 weeks later i bought a higher capacity batery which is 2s 5200mah 45c. Throttled the speed max in about 2 minutes the motor wires melted. So what actually caused the wire to melt? Was it because the batery was too big for the esc to handle or the motor was not capable of handling the batery?. The elwctronics was stock tho. 5kg servo, 35A esc and 15T motor. Please help.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back