Rainy day , Xmaxx shock maintenance time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3x9rtse

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Talion
Been wanting to do the shocks in my 8s Xmaxx , had this truck for 3 years now and never opened up the shocks . Raining here so perfect time to do it . The stock fluid is 30k , seen people going up to 80k ( seems a bit thick to me ) , most common reply I've seen is put 50k all around or 40k front / 50k rear . Had brand new 42.5k and 4k in my stock so ran with it , put the 42.5 in rear / 40 in front . Should be good for what I do as I do not send this thing to the moon , and want to keep that monster truck driving characteristic to it . Surprisingly the fluid was still full in all the shocks and it wasn't at all as dirty as I was expecting . Feels good , can't wait to try it out .
Also retired the orig green body , really destroyed now so gonna start to use my " show body " I made for it 2 years ago !! LOL . Those who have Xmaxx's , what have you tried for your shock fluids ?

IMG_4291.JPG

IMG_4296.JPG

After the first week I had my Maxx , it was way to " soft " IMO ( 30k stock ) , so I went with 45k all around in it , and holy cow did that little extra 15k really stiffen it up , and since it seems like it doesn't take going up much in those shocks to make a noticeable improvement , I might go to 40k all around in it ( it bounces / springs up off the ground when you land from a jump ) . However , it did make the truck handle better , less rolling over ( I do not have the wide kit on it ) .

Drove it yesterday , even with that little difference in weight , it is noticable . I drove it with my K8S at my favorite bash spot , so doing the same jumps together ( keep in mind it is stock vs. the K8S is faster now w the 23t pinion ) , the K8S jumps farther , flies better and lands/soaks up the landings better . Short , the K8S is a better jumper .
However , the K8S is done after about 22-25 minutes , that dam Xmaxx after 40 minutes still did'nt hit LVC !!!!! I shut it off !!!! LOL
Both very fun trucks !!!!

Been wanting to do the shocks in my 8s Xmaxx , had this truck for 3 years now and never opened up the shocks . Raining here so perfect time to do it . The stock fluid is 30k , seen people going up to 80k ( seems a bit thick to me ) , most common reply I've seen is put 50k all around or 40k front / 50k rear . Had brand new 42.5k and 4k in my stock so ran with it , put the 42.5 in rear / 40 in front . Should be good for what I do as I do not send this thing to the moon , and want to keep that monster truck driving characteristic to it . Surprisingly the fluid was still full in all the shocks and it wasn't at all as dirty as I was expecting . Feels good , can't wait to try it out .
Also retired the orig green body , really destroyed now so gonna start to use my " show body " I made for it 2 years ago !! LOL . Those who have Xmaxx's , what have you tried for your shock fluids ?

View attachment 94756

View attachment 94757
Did you find anything wrong with the shocks after three years?

I have 55wt all around, I found the original too bouncy

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back