Granite Ramp bash on grass - Granite with Custom RC Upgrades chassis brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRC

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Trying to jump on grass to minimize damage. My regular dirt patch turned rock hard over the winter. Also trying out the CRCU chassis brace. It definitely stiffens the chassis, but it's really heavy and results in harder, bouncier landings.

EDIT: I deleted the original video included with this post. I stopped using the CRCU chassis brace and got a 4s tower to tower brace instead. The 4s brace is much lighter and the Granite is landing like I'm used to.

Last edited:
Nice jumping. Mine bounces a little too but it’s 4s and a bunch of upgrades and it’s way heavier. The 6s shocks help and I’m using 90 weight

Jumping the Granite off the ramp again. Just got new MX28's so I actually have enough traction to hit the ramp while on grass. Also trying out the CRCU chassis brace. It definitely stiffens the chassis, but it's really heavy. I'm getting really bouncy landings here. I'm not sure if it's because of the extra weight or the turf. I'm going to try the same spot without the chassis brace tomorrow.

Great jumps and greater lands!
nothing happened at the last nose landing?
i was thinking about some video angles that may be interesting, place the camera under the ramp and shoot the lands behind the car! and near the ramp shooting along the ramp is a common one which i thing would be interesting

could u share ur ramps sketch or smth?

Thanks. No damage from that landing. I have other videos using various angles.

It's a basic ramp build. The size is as big as I could fit in my SUV without putting the seats down. Check on YouTube. There are lots of videos on how to build a ramp. Basic rule is it should be twice as long as it is high. My ramp is 3 feet wide, which I think is minimum. Wider would be even better. The launch angle is slightly more than 45, so I would say around 50 degrees. The curve of the ramp was trial and error, I made 3 ramps in total, I liked the way this launched the best.

Thanks. No damage from that landing. I have other videos using various angles.

It's a basic ramp build. The size is as big as I could fit in my SUV without putting the seats down. Check on YouTube. There are lots of videos on how to build a ramp. Basic rule is it should be twice as long as it is high. My ramp is 3 feet wide, which I think is minimum. Wider would be even better. The launch angle is slightly more than 45, so I would say around 50 degrees. The curve of the ramp was trial and error, I made 3 ramps in total, I liked the way this launched the best.
yes it launches perfectly, tnx

The curve of the ramp wants to be the arc of a circle - pencil and a piece of string. I have a spreadsheet that does calcs for me.
http://www.haleynet.co.uk/RCRampCalcs.xlsx
You fill in the green boxes adapting the radius of arc until you get the height you want, then match the yellow values to the diagram to see what to cut. Key is getting the centre of the circle in the right place relative to the piece of wood.
I actually made mine so I can shorten the legs and detach the lip to move between 45deg and 35deg take-off and for RC cars (unlike the ones I make for the kids scooters and bikes) you don't even need solid sides, and the surface of mine is just hardboard.
I'd agree with GRC 3ft wide is the minimum to make aiming at it easy. Once you get the hang of it they're pretty easy to knock up.

I remember making my quarter pipe back in the day with a string and pencil, good times :)

Solid looking ramp!

Update: I think the extra weight of the CRCU brace did contribute to bouncier landings, but it's mainly the grass. Grass bounces a lot more than dirt. It's bouncing less after some suspension adjustments and no CRCU brace. But I stripped ANOTHER rear diff. I'm going to try the tower to tower brace. It should be lighter and hopefully it will prevent flex and damage to the diff.

EDIT: It wasn't the rear diff, it was the front input gear, which is the original from the factory and has lasted a year and a half. It just wore down over time and couldn't hold anymore.

Last edited:
I think an EXB might be more money, more problems. I'm not looking to start another upgrade journey. If a chassis brace doesn't save the Granite's rear diff, I'll have to get a metal diff once it's in stock. But that should be the last upgrade. The rest of my Granite is quite durable.

Last edited:
I think an EXB might be more money, more problems. I'm not looking to start another upgrade journey. If a chassis brace doesn't save the Granite's rear diff, I'll have to get a metal diff once it's in stock. But that should be the last upgrade. The rest of my Granite is quite durable.
In practical terms I'd agree, but since when has practicality had anything to do with with RCs we buy? :D

In practical terms I'd agree, but since when has practicality had anything to do with with RCs we buy? :D
Actually, I was happy to find it wasn't a damaged rear diff. It was the front input gear. Which is the original from the factory and has lasted a year and a half. It just wore down over time and couldn't hold anymore.

Last edited:
Actually, I was happy to find it wasn't a damaged rear diff. It was the front diff. Which is the original from the factory and has lasted a year and a half. It just wore down over time and couldn't hold anymore.
Good stuff! I've been pretty impressed with these 3S trucks, the last pinion I changed was so spikey I have no idea how it still worked. In general my 3S trucks get much the same use as my 6S and require far less maintenance (although going all EXB parts on my 6S has reduced maintenance there too but at a significant cost). I'm pretty sure that if I let my kids on my 6S the diffs wouldn't last long.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back