Ramp design recommendations for 1/8 Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luka2sb

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I’d like to play a game…

Hypothetically, if one was to design a “portable” ramp, what would the requirements be:

What length, width, height?
What angle/ adjustable, what curvature?
Here’s my requirement: size must be within reason for transportation, I got some ideas of how to make it “foldable”, while still having a curvature, not really worth explaining the idea here. But I was hoping to get an idea of size and curvature desires from those that used ramps before (I never have) .

If u look up fresh park quarter pipe ramp it folds up it came in 3 section you could probably get a lay out and build out wood and use some type of hing to make it fold. And make legs that can be taken on and off. I have the fresh park ramp and love it fold up nice for my jeep. And I will never need to make or buy another one.

Not to say that I have your answers but something else to help the answers is what it your goal jumping style. Height or distance or a nice in-between?
Other considerations is...
1) What is going to hit it and how hard? A ramp that is good for a 3s truck won't handle 8S trucks well. That drives your width. A 2' wide ramp is OK to hit with a 3S, but as you go up in size you need a wider ramp. I got a ramp that is good for 1/8th at a reasonable speed but we started to jump a field goal with only a 2' tall ramp and was hitting it hard enough with large scale vehicles, to really mess it up. FYI, If you put it out at a bash, it's hard to control what size trucks will be hitting it to be prepared or don't put it out.

2) How heavy can you handle/lift? If you make it out of wood and wide and tall it can get heavy fast. Adding wheels is a good plan incase it does but it's easy to get into a weight that needs friends help. One effective plan is to split it in parts so the weight is spread out and you can clamp them together or plan for attachment. If you can drive right to where you plan to out the ramp you can get away with a heavier ramp. If you need to move it a good distance from the vehicle then you want it lighter and/or with wheels.

The latest Rich Duperbash video (jump to ~7:50 and 11:30) had a cleaver 2 piece design in that it was a medium sized ramp that could be added to make it a tall ramp.

3) What kind of terrain are you using too? Flat terrain your ramp does all the work. If you have some hills/inclines to work with a short ramp (18"-2') on a hill can turn into a pretty big jump. Ref this video (another Rich D video) at ~:43 seconds and 5:27.

Good luck with your 'game'.
Hurricane

If u look up fresh park quarter pipe ramp it folds up it came in 3 section you could probably get a lay out and build out wood and use some type of hing to make it fold. And make legs that can be taken on and off. I have the fresh park ramp and love it fold up nice for my jeep. And I will never need to make or buy another one.
That is legit! That’s basically what I had in mind for a way to fold it… just much more ghetto than this legitimate purchased one.

If I've read the specs right, it's like 162lbs, right?

Not to say that I have your answers but something else to help the answers is what it your goal jumping style. Height or distance or a nice in-between?
Other considerations is...
1) What is going to hit it and how hard? A ramp that is good for a 3s truck won't handle 8S trucks well. That drives your width. A 2' wide ramp is OK to hit with a 3S, but as you go up in size you need a wider ramp. I got a ramp that is good for 1/8th at a reasonable speed but we started to jump a field goal with only a 2' tall ramp and was hitting it hard enough with large scale vehicles, to really mess it up. FYI, If you put it out at a bash, it's hard to control what size trucks will be hitting it to be prepared or don't put it out.

2) How heavy can you handle/lift? If you make it out of wood and wide and tall it can get heavy fast. Adding wheels is a good plan incase it does but it's easy to get into a weight that needs friends help. One effective plan is to split it in parts so the weight is spread out and you can clamp them together or plan for attachment. If you can drive right to where you plan to out the ramp you can get away with a heavier ramp. If you need to move it a good distance from the vehicle then you want it lighter and/or with wheels.

The latest Rich Duperbash video (jump to ~7:50 and 11:30) had a cleaver 2 piece design in that it was a medium sized ramp that could be added to make it a tall ramp.

3) What kind of terrain are you using too? Flat terrain your ramp does all the work. If you have some hills/inclines to work with a short ramp (18"-2') on a hill can turn into a pretty big jump. Ref this video (another Rich D video) at ~:43 seconds and 5:27.

Good luck with your 'game'.
Hurricane
Thanks for all the insight, I purposely left it open ended to see what answers I get from those with experience.
My goals id consider mild, I was thinking maybe 2 feet high max, I want to experience some air, but I’m a cheap bastard so won’t be pushing the limits to find where parts break. Environment would likely be short grass.
1) I have 1/8 Kraton, so that’s the design intent, but you bring up a very good point that it must be stout enough to handle 1/5 scale if others hit it.
2) weight isn’t an issue, size is, all my vehicles are sedans. Wheels are a good point.
3) thanks for the videos, I’m not in a location where I can watch them tonight, but will tomorrow.

Thanks for all the insight, I purposely left it open ended to see what answers I get from those with experience.
My goals id consider mild, I was thinking maybe 2 feet high max, I want to experience some air, but I’m a cheap bastard so won’t be pushing the limits to find where parts break. Environment would likely be short grass.
1) I have 1/8 Kraton, so that’s the design intent, but you bring up a very good point that it must be stout enough to handle 1/5 scale if others hit it.
2) weight isn’t an issue, size is, all my vehicles are sedans. Wheels are a good point.
3) thanks for the videos, I’m not in a location where I can watch them tonight, but will tomorrow.
I have several in the 2' range and they will do what you want and can get some surprising distance if you hit it hard. You can also work on adding a little bit of wood or something under it to make it a little steeper to play with a steeper ramp. A metal leading edge is nice too...

9EE0ABEB-2755-412A-B5D1-F89B36BEF963.png

Post in thread 'What did you buy today?'
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-did-you-buy-today.48/post-87613

Post in thread 'What did you buy today?'
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-did-you-buy-today.48/post-88168

8EBAFD09-5D01-4AFA-B5AB-31C90C4E55DC.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back