Ramp strong enough for the K8?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaylex

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Can anyone direct me to any videos to build my own ramp that is strong enough for the K8. I need to leave it outdoors but I will also need to move it around. Or anyone have any plans? Not great at woodworking but have a neighbour who is and who is really keen to help ;-)

Best build I’ve seen....

throw some castor wheels on the vertical plane to move it around. Ya leave it outside you’re going to have to finish it with varathane or something similar.

45 degrees is the optimum angle for distance at a given speed. It’s a projectile motion physics type thingy. It’s also important to have a proper lower transition to that 45 degrees so you can mitigate that chassis bottoming out before you launch.

ps, I’m a newb and not sending my truck yet, but physics doesn’t lie.

Last edited:
45 degrees is the optimum angle for distance at a given speed. It’s a projectile motion physics type thingy. It’s also important to have a proper lower transition to that 45 degrees so you can mitigate that chassis bottoming out before you launch.

Was roughly what I had in mind. Anyone got any other recommendations is finishing with a straight 45 better than creating a curve or similar?

Yes finish with a 45. Use hdpe for the face
AD2F6F63-3497-47DD-90CB-1CEFD8FC4AD3.jpeg
7219F04D-5CBD-4BA7-8FC5-950AF465C9D0.jpeg

Looking great, if you can I would place blocks behind the supports ribs. The two screws connecting each of the ribs will be taking all the force and might be worth proving a bit of support (red in the pic)
C91CD4FB-DA77-43E8-941A-73F3BE9D18D9.jpeg

Looking great, if you can I would place blocks behind the supports ribs. The two screws connecting each of the ribs will be taking all the force and might be worth proving a bit of support (red in the pic)View attachment 86356

Do you have a detailed ramp build you can provide with the support blocks you are talking about?

Do you have a detailed ramp build you can provide with the support blocks you are talking about?
Doesn't need a detailed Ramp build :)

Just saying a lot of force will be transferred across the ribs to the joints and applying some braces will make it stronger and help with durability. doesn't need to be as elegant as the pic below and a simple block will work also in supporting the ribs.

BDA4155C-90C7-4E7F-98B4-5FDDEE44080B.jpeg

Looking great, if you can I would place blocks behind the supports ribs. The two screws connecting each of the ribs will be taking all the force and might be worth proving a bit of support (red in the pic)View attachment 86356
Well it’s tried n true. No breaks yet and been sending it for a year. It’s k8s proof
Those are 4”deck screws they ain’t going any where

That’s why you use hdpe and not 1/8”paneling ??‍♂️
Trailer park boys get it done with what they can find laying around. Grab your neighbors wall when they head to the dollar store and make a ramp ??‍♂️

Whatever you do, use deck screws. I just recently made a 45 degree ramp. 20”x40”x41” (LxWxH). The wood on the side is 15/32” thick. The wood for the face of the ramp is 11/32” thick. And I used 2x4’s to connect the two side panels, and one 2x6 in the back for extra support.

Attachments

• 8F54E1D1-4C4E-4210-ACC5-CB89DA342529.jpeg
    8F54E1D1-4C4E-4210-ACC5-CB89DA342529.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 40
For those of us who spent most of shop class smoking in the bathroom, can anyone recommend an off-the-shelf product I can buy instead? I've seen a few on the market that claim to accommodate 1/8th scale buggies, but haven't been able to find anything advertising something sturdy enough for 1/5.

Respectfully disagree, "45 is optimum for height not distance"

Yes 45 degrees will get you the max height, but at the same speed….a 20 degree ramp will not give you any more distance than the 45.

You really would get a better ramp building your own, but if you must……

https://tboneracing.net/collections/ramps
Thanks for passing this along. I've had very mixed experiences with T-Bone... above & beyond customer service, great products, and another time where I got a lousy product & nonexistent support...nothing in between... a little like these reviews - it's either awesome & perfect for 1/5, or not sturdy enough without some mods (an effort I feel like the $270 price tag is should prevent). I think I'm going to go for it though. The extra effort required to transport this behemoth is making me drive near home for the most part, and a ramp like this could spice things up a whole lot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back