Ramps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechDad

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Senton 6s
I'm either going to buy a pre-made ramp or build one. I've seen some DIY ramps,but some of them are years old. Wanted to see if anybody had a newer design they want to give details,instructions,etc. Not worried about portability since I can throw it in the shed when not in use. Will be used for the Kraton 6s. Thanks

Whatever design you go with, I can’t recommend a sheet of HDPE for the face highly enough. Someone here recommended it to me (@Outcastblxnut?) and they were dead right. F@&% using a wood face. That just doesn’t hold up long with these rigs slamming into it.

Yeah I agree I blow through wooden face ramps too often and they are no slouch of a ramp. I was smashing into @jondilly1974 ramp and it kept taking it over and over. So much I am probably gonna build one tomorrow out of it.

I just went to Lowe’s spent 30 bucks on some lumber and built one. It’s super simple. 2tf tall, 44inches wide and 55 long. 1/2 inch plywood for the sides. 2x3s for all the cross supports and 11/32 plywood for the top part. 45 degree angle at the peak, I used one of those thin metal yard sticks that flex to trace a nice arc from the 45 degree line I marked with a square. The trick is to tack the 2 pieces together with a couple drywall screws so you cut both side pieces exactly the same. Little heavy but it’s solid. Gotta take the abuse of 1/8 scale rigs hitting it at 60 mph ??

Attachments

• 8CCF8040-3437-4776-AE4F-3589833955F8.jpeg
    8CCF8040-3437-4776-AE4F-3589833955F8.jpeg
    679.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 3390DC5C-D745-45B3-8094-0841F86062A1.jpeg
    3390DC5C-D745-45B3-8094-0841F86062A1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I just went to Lowe’s spent 30 bucks on some lumber and built one. It’s super simple. 2tf tall, 44inches wide and 55 long. 1/2 inch plywood for the sides. 2x3s for all the cross supports and 11/32 plywood for the top part. Little heavy but it’s solid. Gotta take the abuse of 1/8 scale rigs hitting it at 60 mph ??
Nice ??

I just went to Lowe’s spent 30 bucks on some lumber and built one. It’s super simple. 2tf tall, 44inches wide and 55 long. 1/2 inch plywood for the sides. 2x3s for all the cross supports and 11/32 plywood for the top part. 45 degree angle at the peak, I used one of those thin metal yard sticks that flex to trace a nice arc from the 45 degree line I marked with a square. The trick is to tack the 2 pieces together with a couple drywall screws so you cut both side pieces exactly the same. Little heavy but it’s solid. Gotta take the abuse of 1/8 scale rigs hitting it at 60 mph ??
Any issue getting the 11/32 to shape? Is that one 4x8 sheet of 1/2 and 11/32? How many 2x3s?

Last edited:
That's exactly the video I watched to build mine. It'll get us right and he explains very well.
Getting the transition with a bendable pice of something is key imo. I bought a 1" pvc "strip" that I just folded around to make it work.

To anyone learning: When I got into it and it all worked out, I decided I was a ramp building master. LOL.
Just do it and you'll be fine imo. Make adjustments after we send our trucks. I've never owned a power tool in my life but once I obtained some and built a ramp, I was ready for anything! Hope it works out for you and I know you'll be able to make an excellent jump for your trucks. ?

I followed this dude's video for the most part when I built mine. Added a few tweaks of course.
Ohhh I like the straps!!! ? I am totally stealing that idea!

Ohhh I like the straps!!! ? I am totally stealing that idea!
I forgot to buy metal handles at the hardware store so I rummaged the garage and found a nylon ratchet strap that I had lost the ratchet part to so I cut some pieces off, hit the ends with a Bic lighter so they wouldn't fray, and ta-da! Strap handles! lol

I forgot to buy metal handles at the hardware store so I rummaged the garage and found a nylon ratchet strap that I had lost the ratchet part to so I cut some pieces off, hit the ends with a Bic lighter so they wouldn't fray, and ta-da! Strap handles! lol
I really like the idea of fabric handles anyways. They won't stick out and snag stuff. My ramp just barely fits upright in my van as it is, so any metal handles on the sides would prevent me getting it in.

Why not just Swiss cheese the sides of the ramp with a 4” or so... holesaw? Not only would it lighten it up, you would have so many different grab handles. ?

Why not just Swiss cheese the sides of the ramp with a 4” or so... holesaw? Not only would it lighten it up, you would have so many different grab handles. ?
Yep I’ve considered this as well. I’ve got up to a 6-1/2” hole saw so this would be quick and easy. I think I would want to sand the holes if they are going to be handles too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back