Random Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evilestkdogg88

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Senton 3s
I have a Big Rock Crew Cab 3s. I run 3s Spektrum 5k G2, but anyways I like to run LED bar lights and going to add head lights as well and with them on it drains the batteries. So my question is, can I add an additional battery and have it hooked up to my AUX port on the receiver to run the lights.
16447484116247614597116106317236.jpg

Last edited:
LED power draw is pretty trivial compared to the motor, so I wouldn't worry about it draining your batteries. If the LEDs draw 500mA, it'd take 10 hours to drain a 5000mAh battery. 500mA is about 16 standard LEDs on full brightness.

I think some of those LED light bars might draw that sort of current, possibly a bit more.

What you do need to watch out for is the current draw on the BEC, which is what powers the receiver and the servo. For example, the BLX 100 BEC is rated to 4A, and a stalled servo might use quite a lot of that.

As it happens, I'm planning to add an external power input in the next version of my light controller, although that's mainly so that it can be used to control the weird low voltage LEDs that a certain other manufacturer uses.

I have a Big Rock Crew Cab 3s. I run 3s Spektrum 5k G2, but anyways I like to run LED bar lights and going to add head lights as well and with them on it drains the batteries. So my question is, can I add an additional battery and have it hooked up to my AUX port on the receiver to run the lights.View attachment 199761

I run Polo C. lights on almost all my rigs (6S) and the 3S Big Rock. Powered from the rx and there is no noticeable battery drain at all. In addition if you plan it well and secure them they can last. My Big Rock lights are in the bumper not the body. Light bar on the roof is well protected...this is the same body I crash, flip, land on roof, etc an lights and all are still 100% working and good.

1644771835982.png
1644771846475.png
1644771858206.png
1644771870423.png

I run Polo C. lights on almost all my rigs (6S) and the 3S Big Rock. Powered from the rx and there is no noticeable battery drain at all. In addition if you plan it well and secure them they can last. My Big Rock lights are in the bumper not the body. Light bar on the roof is well protected...this is the same body I crash, flip, land on roof, etc an lights and all are still 100% working and good.

View attachment 199820View attachment 199821View attachment 199822View attachment 199823

That's a good looking, well thought out setup (y)

View attachment 199820View attachment 199821View attachment 199822View attachment 199823
Hey bud do you happen to have links to those lights? And kinda explain how they are secured and protected? Tia!

Hey bud do you happen to have links to those lights? And kinda explain how they are secured and protected? Tia!
My Man!

Those lights I used were not the ones Polo C. sales for the Big Rock specifically. I do not want them on the body because the body just takes a hell of a beating. They are Polo lights but off the Losi DB Pro. I own a Losi and put lights on it so I had seen them and knew how that looked prior to work on the Big Rock.

How did I install. From this link, I purchased the Fog Amber Lights and the Wing rear Lights. The Amber comes with one JST connection with 4 LEDs. There was a member here who posted free on Thingiverse the front holder for the front buckets. Someone printed these since I do not have a 3D printer and I cut the hole into the bumper. For the rear, it came with two LEDs and I have this cheap 5mm led light holder kit I got off Amazon. I put the two holes in the rear of the bumper and put the LED in the holder that snapped in the hole that I made. I used shoeglue/E6000 to make sure it never moves for the front and the rear. I made a hole a tight fit so it was good alone but E6000 was just extra insurance.

All those connects run to a 3-way Y-connect JST switch and the single end goes into the rx to the remote switch I posted above. This way I can turn the lights on/off from the remote for all 3 (rear, front, roof). Polo adds their own connection for multi LED connections but it has been a hit or miss on some often...why I use the JST y-connection. Theirs work also.

Well...if I did not post it :) the LED switch to the rx
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BKSGW3D/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A1Y0OWTP8E47U9&psc=1

Last edited:
My Man!

Those lights I used were not the ones Polo C. sales for the Big Rock specifically. I do not want them on the body because the body just takes a hell of a beating. They are Polo lights but off the Losi DB Pro. I own a Losi and put lights on it so I had seen them and knew how that looked prior to work on the Big Rock.

How did I install. From this link, I purchased the Fog Amber Lights and the Wing rear Lights. The Amber comes with one JST connection with 4 LEDs. There was a member here who posted free on Thingiverse the front holder for the front buckets. Someone printed these since I do not have a 3D printer and I cut the hole into the bumper. For the rear, it came with two LEDs and I have this cheap 5mm led light holder kit I got off Amazon. I put the two holes in the rear of the bumper and put the LED in the holder that snapped in the hole that I made. I used shoeglue/E6000 to make sure it never moves for the front and the rear. I made a hole a tight fit so it was good alone but E6000 was just extra insurance.

All those connects run to a 3-way Y-connect JST switch and the single end goes into the rx to the remote switch I posted above. This way I can turn the lights on/off from the remote for all 3 (rear, front, roof). Polo adds their own connection for multi LED connections but it has been a hit or miss on some often...why I use the JST y-connection. Theirs work also.

Well...if I did not post it :) the LED switch to the rx
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BKSGW3D/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A1Y0OWTP8E47U9&psc=1
Bro 👊 your the man!! 💯 Appreciate the detailed info. Won't be long now b4 I'll be able to really dive in to more RC. Life is picking back up. 🤙

As others say LED's won't drain enough power to be a concern, a light bar won't last long on a basher though .. more suited to desert buggies / trucks.
+1 been there. Unless you get very creative and mount the light bar either just ahead of the windshield on the hood, away from any direct hits or even within the front of the chassis somehow. Mine got wrecked a few times. I never replaced the last one. Tiny Led's may be more practical.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back