Vorteks Razor RC Vorteks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't have the itch to get one. Doesn't fit my backyard bashing style. Didn't do too well at that location. Try the carpet that would be more interesting!

I'm glad I watched this review, I thought I really wanted a Vorteks and now I think I'm probably better off with my Granite, I'll just add gyro. I could see the shorter travel suspension being advantageous on groomed tracks, though.

I just don't have the itch to get one. Doesn't fit my backyard bashing style. Didn't do too well at that location. Try the carpet that would be more interesting!

Yeah, if it were winter where the ground is damp or even after a light rain, I think the tires would work pretty good. Or if there was even some more dead grass on those jumps it would’ve hooked up better and drove a lot better.

As is, I either need to find different tires or a different location to drive it.

Looks like the people working there effected your driving. It was like you were distracted instead of focused. I've seen other videos of the Vorteks where they have bashed the living daylights out of it and it performed like a champ. It's not a monster truck so it's not going to handle rough ground like a Big Rock but I feel it's well suited to more than just flat ground and carpet tracks.

One thing I couldn't quite explain was why the went to the expense of molding shorter shock towers and shorter shocks just for this one car. They could've just taken a Granite and put on ST tires, shorter body posts, and a ST body and released that as the Vorteks.

Makes me think they might have some new vehicles in the works using these shorter shock parts... maybe a 3S/4S Infraction?!?!? :p😍🙂

One thing I couldn't quite explain was why the went to the expense of molding shorter shock towers and shorter shocks just for this one car. They could've just taken a Granite and put on ST tires, shorter body posts, and a ST body and released that as the Vorteks.

Makes me think they might have some new vehicles in the works using these shorter shock parts... maybe a 3S/4S Infraction?!?!? :p😍🙂
I was thinking on road or rally car.

First run thoughts

Great set of videos as usual. The more I see videos of the Vorteks, the more it confirms with me it's not a general basher out of the box. Obviously it's has the stadium truck body, but underneath has also been designed for speed on smooth tracks, and asphalt with the shorter shock towers, shocks and smaller tires. Which makes sense since there is already the granite as the stunt truck, big rock as the general basher, and typhon as the buggy.

Once monster tires are fitted to the Vorteks, it may be more suited to general bashing and jumping as you essential have a granite style truck then, but your still restricted with the shorter shock travel compared to the granite, but I'm not sure how much difference that would make? 🤷‍♂️

All in all, I think its another good option to have for the 3s line up.

That's a good point. My first though was they made the shock towers lower, so they could fit a lower styled body on. I assuming the Vorteks body wouldn't fit on Granite because the shock towers would be too tall?

Last edited:
I think it's an unfair video. The Granite will also perform horribly in really dry, low traction dirt with steep ramps. Mine performs poorly on flat ground with those conditions. Yes, the Vorteks is not the best jumping/flipping basher. It's not meant to be. Lower shock towers, shorter shocks, smaller tires are meant for stability and control on relatively flat surfaces.

I have a Granite and love to jump and flip, so the Vorteks isn't for me. But the Vortex KILLS the Granite at high speed. You can barely keep the Granite on the ground at speed. Many in the 3s BLX market will run in parking lots and soccer fields and never come off the ground. The Vorteks will be faster and will power slide where a Granite or Big Rock would roll. For them, the Vorteks is the best choice.

Last edited:
I think it's an unfair video. The Granite will also perform horribly in really dry, low traction dirt with steep ramps. Mine performs poorly on flat ground with those conditions. Yes, the Vorteks is not the best jumping/flipping basher. It's not meant to be. Lower shock towers, shorter shocks, smaller tires are meant for stability and control on relatively flat surfaces.

I have a Granite and love to jump and flip, so the Vorteks isn't for me. But the Vortex KILLS the Granite at high speed. You can barely keep the Granite on the ground at speed. Many in the 3s BLX market will run in parking lots and soccer fields and never come off the ground. The Vorteks will be faster and will power slide where a Granite or Big Rock would roll. For them, the Vorteks is the best choice.

I specifically said I don't think this was the right place for the Vorteks and that it would probably work better on a higher traction flat terrain with smaller jumps. So... I agree with you? But I still think it's good to show how it drives in that terrain, I don't think any other channels have driven it at a loose dirt park with real jumps.

I'm going to drive it on the completely opposite surface next (carpet racetrack) where I think it will kill the Granite (which I also drove on the track). The Granite was pretty bad on carpet... it doesn't look that bad in this video, but I was using every ounce of concentration to avoid constant rollovers.

But I still think it's good to show how it drives in that terrain, I don't think any other channels have driven it at a loose dirt park with real jumps.
I get it, it does show those that were hoping to buy it as a jumper that it may not be the right 3s BLX to get.

I get it, it does show those that were hoping to buy it as a jumper that it may not be the right 3s BLX to get.

Yeah, I mean I didn't know myself how well it would perform. I think if it rained and I messed with the shocks and slipper a bit, I could get it to drive pretty well there. The main thing is that it was way too dry and dusty.

Update: I pulled the front shocks, they were about 10% filled. 🙁

Hi guys!
one question: is it possible to upgrade the vorteks and replace the slipper by a center diff?
ty 4 answers!

Hi guys!
one question: is it possible to upgrade the vorteks and replace the slipper by a center diff?
ty 4 answers!
I have yet to see a solution that fits a center diff in the 3s cars. You would have to design a different housing to replace the existing power module covers so that you could fit a diff where the slipper/spur assembly is now. You would also have to shorten the center driveshaft and probably find a new way to secure the power module assembly because you would no longer have room for the red block that currently serves that function (possible if your new module housing was secured by the same screw). In the SWB chassis you would be hurting for space to fit the motor at that point, probably possible but tight.

Dammit now I want to try to make it work.

The design of the slipper make it look like it was designed to be similar to a ball diff, like this one:
MIP-Super-Ball-Diffs-Smooth-as-Glass.jpg

I don't know if a ball diff can withstand the loads of these 3s cars. but the similarity is so striking that i wouldn't be surprised if we'll see a ball diff option in the future that fits the current slipper housing.

The design of the slipper make it look like it was designed to be similar to a ball diff, like this one:
View attachment 143928

I don't know if a ball diff can withstand the loads of these 3s cars. but the similarity is so striking that i wouldn't be surprised if we'll see a ball diff option in the future that fits the current slipper housing.
What ball diff is in this picture? Would it fit in the space provided? I'm willing to give it a try. The slipper has to be set close to perfect in order to perform well and withstand from tearing up plastic gears and that takes quite a bit of effort. I would love to see a different solution here.

I think:
3S/4S Talion = 4S Kraton ( hoepfully already on the V2 Version) with Vorteks towers and shocks ( or shortened 4S shocks)
+
Mini Infraction / Felony

That would round the portfolio up very well

Yeah, I mean I didn't know myself how well it would perform. I think if it rained and I messed with the shocks and slipper a bit, I could get it to drive pretty well there. The main thing is that it was way too dry and dusty.

Update: I pulled the front shocks, they were about 10% filled. 🙁

Not surprising, mine are also feeling way underdamped. I will open them up tonight to see what's in there.

Also worth noting: It seems they got the memo at the factory about the missing thread locker and washers on the motor screws for the V3. It looks like the screws have been fully bathed in TL before installing them on my Vorteks. :D

Not surprising, mine are also feeling way underdamped. I will open them up tonight to see what's in there.

Also worth noting: It seems they got the memo at the factory about the missing thread locker and washers on the motor screws for the V3. It looks like the screws have been fully bathed in TL before installing them on my Vorteks. :D
Both my 3s cars had half the shock oil they should at BEST. Diffs had a light coat of silicone oil but not what I would call "filled". Now I'll have to look and see if my motor screws have washers. My Typhon gear mesh loosens up so I think threadlocker is a no.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back