Granite RazorRC Granite 4x4 BLX build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razorrc

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Gorgon
  3. Granite
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Kraton 4s
  6. Mojave 4s
  7. Outcast 4s
  8. Outcast 8s
  9. Outcast EXB
  10. Senton 3s
Just picked up a Granite 4x4 BLX at my local hobby store. Pretty excited, haven't had a monster truck since I bought a Stampede 4x4 VLX 5 years ago, and that cost $430! Nice to see Arrma making an arguably better truck for $130 less.

Will be doing some basic bashing with the truck, and also going to try tuning it for some track fun at my local indoor track, 'cause that's where I spend 95% of my time driving. Not going to do anything too crazy, mainly just get it handling/driving as good as possible with some simple tuning.

A little unboxing video...

I usually don't care for unboxing videos but you did a great job. I think you are going to have fun with the Granite. It actually handles pretty nicely for a MT. See if you can wrangle up a 3s battery and try that along with 2s. It's so much fun on 3s.

Thanks! I set the camber, lowered the truck slightly and took some pictures while it’s still nice and new. Will hit the local outdoor gravel trap this afternoon.

Attachments

• 444F83CB-0B87-4BD0-9933-9798D112FE95.jpeg
    444F83CB-0B87-4BD0-9933-9798D112FE95.jpeg
    569.2 KB · Views: 89
With the Duratrax 12mm hex conversion (DTXC3596 ), I tried a few different short course wheels. Associated SC5M/SC6.1 +3mm wheels barely fit, but they look like they would rub a little bit in the rear. Losi wheels would definitely be too narrow. So it looks like these are made for Slash 4x4 wheels, will borrow a set from a buddy and test them out. IIRC, Slash wheels offset out the most.

Out of interest , why would you be bothering with SCT wheels on a MT ?

I'm going to set this up next week as a 4WD 1/10 stadium truck/truggy for some racetrack fun. There's a lot more selection in race tire compounds and patterns in SCT tires.

What the heck? The slipper bearings are unshielded and after 2 packs at the basher track one of them was already seized!

Gotta replace these right away kids, get some 10x15x4 shielded bearings.

Edit: so far every bearing I’ve gotten to has been unshielded... :mad:

Attachments

• 5E33928F-F94D-4CBE-982A-7E7216E1FE91.jpeg
    5E33928F-F94D-4CBE-982A-7E7216E1FE91.jpeg
    689.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I have to say, the U-shaped holder for the ring and pinion diff gear is brilliant. It's probably not obvious, but there are a lot of little advantages. It ensures you can check the mesh of the ring and pinion, and also the smoothness of all 4 bearings at the same time. It also makes it super easy to get the pinion gear bearings out because it splits in half. Lastly, you can easily check or modify the shimming of the diff left/right without closing up the diff case.

Tip #391 -- when putting the pinion on the motor, set it to 2mm off the end of the motor shaft. You can't tighten it after it's in the motor mount, so just do that and it will be perfect.

Tip #391 -- when putting the pinion on the motor, set it to 2mm off the end of the motor shaft. You can't tighten it after it's in the motor mount, so just do that and it will be perfect.

I think I'm going to try the 20t pinion on 3s.

Looks like a fun playground!

(Wish I had something like that close to me)

:)

It's a good ol' time. Some kids on bikes crashed hard on the right side when trying to go into the bowl, so I'm thinking about renaming it the blood bowl. Lots of broken RC parts in there from past cars too!

Finished upgrading all my bearings to rubber-shielded bearings. You'll need:

(4) - 5x10x4 steering bearings (replaces plastic bushings)
(4/6) - 10x15x4 slipper/input shaft bearings. I kept the two inner ones on the input shaft since they aren't exposed, but you could buy 2 more for that.
(4) - 6x12x4 wheel bearings
(8) - 12x18x4 wheel and diff bearings

The metal ones didn't last long, they aren't fully sealed so dirt gets in them, especially the rear input shaft bearing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back