RC Boat fishing???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErieArrma

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Senton 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
Anyone ever try it? Friend of mine owns a house on Lake Erie and wants to give it a shot this summer... I need to research what would be best. Saw a couple hokey videos on YouTube but want to get a real setup. I don’t mess around with junk haha

Up their in erie you should be doing some drone steelheading :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. I missed this spring and guessing theyre dropped back into the lake by now. Did ok in the fall though. Rc fishing sounds pretty crazy I'm going to look that up...

Anyone ever try it? Friend of mine owns a house on Lake Erie and wants to give it a shot this summer... I need to research what would be best. Saw a couple hokey videos on YouTube but want to get a real setup. I don’t mess around with junk haha
Check out Monster Mike Fishing on YouTube:
He uses a boat from Radio Ranger, the Radio Ranger XL: https://www.rcfishingworld.com/Radio-Ranger.htm , along with the RC Fishing Pole: https://www.rcfishingworld.com/the_rc_fishing_pole.htm

You will have to check the laws in your state to make sure it is legal.

In most states, as long as the boat cant actually set the hook, its legal. I actually don't fish, but, i do belong to an RC boat club, and this question comes up quite often. A couple local guys built there own fishing boats using kits they picked up, and from what i understand, it does work, but is quite pricey. The part i still don't understand is the, as long as the boat doesn't set the hook. How is that supposed to work?

In most states, as long as the boat cant actually set the hook, its legal. I actually don't fish, but, i do belong to an RC boat club, and this question comes up quite often. A couple local guys built there own fishing boats using kits they picked up, and from what i understand, it does work, but is quite pricey. The part i still don't understand is the, as long as the boat doesn't set the hook. How is that supposed to work?
🤷‍♂️

Back in my day we walked uphill naked in the winter to the creek to spear fish with crude caveman weapons. This boat fishing is pure douchebaggery.

( truth,,,,I’ve never been naked outside in the winter, nor have I speared a fish).

Up their in erie you should be doing some drone steelheading :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. I missed this spring and guessing theyre dropped back into the lake by now. Did ok in the fall though. Rc fishing sounds pretty crazy I'm going to look that up...
I like catching steelhead in the big Lake, come on up this summer, I’ll take you out.

434C0257-42DA-4131-BB5A-ED1BDD005908.jpeg

Not worried about it, private property and would be just messing around near shore. Lake Erie has more fish than all the other Great Lakes combined... plenty to go around, they would never enforce it even if we did manage to hook a couple bass or walleye. Almost catch and release anyway.
Check out Monster Mike Fishing on YouTube:
He uses a boat from Radio Ranger, the Radio Ranger XL: https://www.rcfishingworld.com/Radio-Ranger.htm , along with the RC Fishing Pole: https://www.rcfishingworld.com/the_rc_fishing_pole.htm
Good stuff, thank you!! If nothing else it would be good entertainment while hanging out on the patio with beverages....

Last edited:
I like catching steelhead in the big Lake, come on up this summer, I’ll take you out.

Not worried about it, private property and would be just messing around near shore. Lake Erie has more fish than all the other Great Lakes combined... plenty to go around, they would never enforce it even if we did manage to hook a couple bass or walleye. Almost catch and release anyway.

Good stuff, thank you!! If nothing else it would be good entertainment while hanging out on the patio with beverages....
A few years back i lived in upstate N.Y. right off Lake Ontario, and there was a guy up there who got nailed for using a custom boat to catch salmon. I actually thought it was funny, since he had over $1000 in his boat and set up, and they confiscated it. He eventually did get it back after paying some fines though. His boat is on this page: https://line.17qq.com/articles/quraetcrx.html Its the trawler Neptune. The one on that page isnt actually his, but he has one he built that is just like it. This is gonna be my next boat, but not for fishing, for boat recovery: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2533134670...euxrsW0G5Eu_JkmewgKSvt_zR_QlO0QoaAqfPEALw_wcB

Last edited:
A few years back i lived in upstate N.Y. right off Lake Ontario, and there was a guy up there who got nailed for using a custom boat to catch salmon. I actually thought it was funny, since he had over $1000 in his boat and set up, and they confiscated it. He eventually did get it back after paying some fines though. His boat is on this page: https://line.17qq.com/articles/quraetcrx.html Its the trawler Neptune. The one on that page isnt actually his, but he has one he built that is just like it. This is gonna be my next boat, but not for fishing, for boat recovery: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253313467065?_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:AQAFAAACQBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickk54RcAtDOV1Ncc5XnH5ejj01MfbEXUPuShhVYavD377Mu%2BxUhZXZEghZigLm7lXFNx8hGsin2EBLRv4pc%2BiA7yFO21LTJYbAxCpKO7XyiB50ha6ayzomoZMGRIASFv3Bs0DYQR7%2FCR5Zq6KpHiRMZkCkP3757xeLxHgeYCaohIzfgupkqJkUMN34bhlul3eugRf6IeM8mflRNbl05QGc2ba8mQZJ27uM2ROlSo6Ix12CV3sjZI1UW1LViMvnyU%2Blc2CdRP%2FjhgpXYoMf11cDVd9v5dMEf7a03KfV1AJGO9KiDJd8Q8jyw9KgV000qbJje%2BnqiADJKhJG%2FLooR3FP4YcUUsER%2B5wCXTfy9WtfgpyIuNmGvfrvCey1kmxlVisSsfXIt2N1YSQl%2Bnjv3SfxljEicOlozGIoL82FSxo%2FfAZ1UI1YJBl3p8R1feEAk2kf7tA3dWxe9s0Oqrzxn8FsWq%2FwapK0V7U7ySkirIpl8oIWDryALBic7mrpIyjDx%2FuGwP8qbV955SY4HMLZD8YtMMdf1JjSd%2BWqhYErMXr7Oa8R5U7GRQcdPIHlOmocKpAUe%2FervoChgDSSXAYIR5vaTfqI9jLm2lMs%2B1Saqk35sNqH2oxMvDr2vFYdSly%2BF6ip%2BhCIPqgavy%2F3GzlD%2B8A16o2N2ZcFcQc%2Bjoe7TjWTNXoCiQweFMj2H3eUq8bw2BbwNTKvEagyjK%2FppYHKOiiLZuQ%3D%3D|cksum:2533134670659c39aaeff50b438cab88e59684c5f8ab|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:3268220&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=253313467065&targetid=1192081308424&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9005776&poi=&campaignid=11774733487&mkgroupid=113829509425&rlsatarget=pla-1192081308424&abcId=9300474&merchantid=116337287&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9_mDBhCGARIsAN3PaFOEmr10tDVWybb_5DUEgx2euxrsW0G5Eu_JkmewgKSvt_zR_QlO0QoaAqfPEALw_wcB
Wow, that is incredible thanks for sharing. I can't imagine fighting a King Salmon with an RC boat!! Not sure how you'd land it -- would have to be a long battle where the fish eventually wears out and you could hand line it. I can see that he has the proper scale sized boat to be up for the challenge... what a beast. That would be so incredible, it's all I'm going to think about!! Doesn't surprise me NY State got involved, heavy handed regulations everywhere.

Wow, that is incredible thanks for sharing. I can't imagine fighting a King Salmon with an RC boat!! Not sure how you'd land it -- would have to be a long battle where the fish eventually wears out and you could hand line it. I can see that he has the proper scale sized boat to be up for the challenge... what a beast. That would be so incredible, it's all I'm going to think about!! Doesn't surprise me NY State got involved, heavy handed regulations everywhere.
Upstate N.Y. has a lot of guys who do odd and strange things like that. One guy i know has a custom built 1/6TH RC plow truck, that due to the amount of snow they routinely get, rarely is able to use it, and the amount of RC boats and snowmobiles is insane. As for fighting a salmon, ive watched guys spend literally hours fighting them, only to lose them, so i don't know if an RC boat would even work for it. All i know is the guy built the boat and tried it, but i never heard if it actually worked or not. I only heard the story because of the boat club i belong to. Everywhere in N.Y is nothing but heavy handed regulations, and almost constant police involvement, in everything. Around where i live, running RC's pretty much requires permission from the city, as well as the land owners, most of which don't want the RC's around.

Upstate N.Y. has a lot of guys who do odd and strange things like that. One guy i know has a custom built 1/6TH RC plow truck, that due to the amount of snow they routinely get, rarely is able to use it, and the amount of RC boats and snowmobiles is insane. As for fighting a salmon, ive watched guys spend literally hours fighting them, only to lose them, so i don't know if an RC boat would even work for it. All i know is the guy built the boat and tried it, but i never heard if it actually worked or not. I only heard the story because of the boat club i belong to. Everywhere in N.Y is nothing but heavy handed regulations, and almost constant police involvement, in everything. Around where i live, running RC's pretty much requires permission from the city, as well as the land owners, most of which don't want the RC's around.
I had an ex that was from upstate New York(Ogsdenburg) and some of the stories she told I don't think that is someplace I would ever want to live.

I had an ex that was from upstate New York(Ogsdenburg) and some of the stories she told I don't think that is someplace I would ever want to live.
You know the saying "A nice place to visit, but i wouldnt want to live there."? For N.Y, the saying is, " It used to be a nice place to visit, but why would anyone ever want to live there?". Anymore, with high crime, high prices and taxes, no real jobs, especially north of NYC, and crappy weather, most people are either stuck working low end retail jobs, or are leaving the state all together. For me, im right dead in the middle of the 10 worst places to live in NYS. If i could, i wouldnt be here either, but, im currently stuck here.

The fish around here would eat a RC boat for lunch.

Don't they call those gaters?
Not necessarily. He could be referring to Gar, although i don't think they eat plastic. There are also Tarpon, Redfish, Catfish, some of which are huge. I would love to see the guy from River Monsters try to catch a Gar with an RC boat. I think that would be hilarious.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back