Rc Boat painting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely some peel but it's better than some runs..

Main issue with buffing something like that is you need a palm buffer.. looks like a right angle grinder but it's orbital.. A larger buffer is liable to rip the boat away from you if it snags...

Since it's your first time wet sanding and buffing, I'd suggest starting and ending with 2000.. it will be hard for you to mess it up with such a light cut, and it's very easy to buff out...

go very easy towards any edges, cause it will tear them down quick.. I'd focus solely on the center of everything for now, stay a 1/4 to a 1/2" away from the edges... Then feather the edges in towards the end.. typically most edges will be more "glassy" anyway, so you may not have to do anything to them until buffing...

Ideally you would be using a 3m or similar squeegee/block.. if you can get one, that would be the ticket..you can use it as a block, and then squeegee the water off to see your cut.( You can just use a towel to dry the surface as well... sand it until the peel is gone..

long strokes over the whole surface.. do not focus on a certain spot unless necessary and pay close attention to your cuts when you do.. ( you can end up with a wavy surface in no time)...

2 tip's for you..

Use a water or soda bottle to provide your cutting water..just poke a small whole in the lid..😉.. keep your paper and surface saturated, a steady light stream is best.. also pre wet your paper and surface before going after it.. you will see your cuts in the water, at first it will bead off the clear.. the more you sand you will see it stay wet, start squeegee at that point to see how much further..

If you FEEL or HEAR anything stop.. clean your paper and surface with water.. dirt, dust, so forth will roll around and scratch the snot out of it.. you will feel and hear it.. like rolling a pebble on the ground with your hand..

Use 3m or Maguires fine cut for buffing, with 2k you shouldn't need anything more.. buff it in, and wipe it off with a microfiber... Buff until the desired finish.. glass..😎... I little compound goes a long way as well, don't clog up the pad..👍

You can leave it like that finish it up with a 3m hand glaze...

Hope this helps man..

Definitely some peel but it's better than some runs..

Main issue with buffing something like that is you need a palm buffer.. looks like a right angle grinder but it's orbital.. A larger buffer is liable to rip the boat away from you if it snags...

Since it's your first time wet sanding and buffing, I'd suggest starting and ending with 2000.. it will be hard for you to mess it up with such a light cut, and it's very easy to buff out...

go very easy towards any edges, cause it will tear them down quick.. I'd focus solely on the center of everything for now, stay a 1/4 to a 1/2" away from the edges... Then feather the edges in towards the end.. typically most edges will be more "glassy" anyway, so you may not have to do anything to them until buffing...

Ideally you would be using a 3m or similar squeegee/block.. if you can get one, that would be the ticket..you can use it as a block, and then squeegee the water off to see your cut.( You can just use a towel to dry the surface as well... sand it until the peel is gone..

long strokes over the whole surface.. do not focus on a certain spot unless necessary and pay close attention to your cuts when you do.. ( you can end up with a wavy surface in no time)...

2 tip's for you..

Use a water or soda bottle to provide your cutting water..just poke a small whole in the lid..😉.. keep your paper and surface saturated, a steady light stream is best.. also pre wet your paper and surface before going after it.. you will see your cuts in the water, at first it will bead off the clear.. the more you sand you will see it stay wet, start squeegee at that point to see how much further..

If you FEEL or HEAR anything stop.. clean your paper and surface with water.. dirt, dust, so forth will roll around and scratch the snot out of it.. you will feel and hear it.. like rolling a pebble on the ground with your hand..

Use 3m or Maguires fine cut for buffing, with 2k you shouldn't need anything more.. buff it in, and wipe it off with a microfiber... Buff until the desired finish.. glass..😎... I little compound goes a long way as well, don't clog up the pad..👍

You can leave it like that finish it up with a 3m hand glaze...

Hope this helps man..
Thank you !

Well..I did my first attempt at wetsanding and buffing
Looks better but far from perfect ..I think I’ll take another shot at wetsanding it more tomorrow and work my way up past the 2000grit as it still
Seems a little cloudy
I buffed it using my orbital buffer and finishing it off with some jewel cut ultra fine wax.. hopefully tomorrow brings better results

F0AAA47D-F806-4963-8BA7-3B39A746F15D.jpeg

B146A474-4144-417E-BE43-E0AC61DFD960.jpeg

E20679EB-B85B-4024-B091-E82D68954816.jpeg

What kind of speeds are you buffing at buddy?.. That stuff looks very hard already.. you may have to put a little heat into that with some higher speeds...

Little more compound as well, shake that stuff good, all the abrasive is in the bottom if it was sitting a while... Worse case it's hard enough fine cut won't pull it clean, you may need to find a medium cut compound..

What kind of speeds are you buffing at buddy?.. That stuff looks very hard already.. you may have to put a little heat into that with some higher speeds...

Little more compound as well, shake that stuff good, all the abrasive is in the bottom if it was sitting a while... Worse case it's hard enough fine cut won't pull it clean, you may need to find a medium cut compound..
I only was at mid speed on my buffer
Never really went too high on the speeds..and I didn’t try using a compound . I only used a fine cut and ultra fine cut. I’ll use a heavier cut as you suggested. Thanks again for the help!

You noted that it has plenty of clear coat on there so this may not apply for this one, but sometimes you can sand with something like 600 grit and then re-clear coat it more "wet". You definitely save yourself tons of work by spraying the clear wet enough from the start.

I would always setup lots of lights and look across the surface at and angle as I spray. Basically you are looking to view the reflection or how slick the surface is. I am sure there are tons of how to videos out there, but that is what I found worked for me.

I hit it with some compound and a lot of speed and heat
I think it came out pretty good
I’m done messing with it now 👍🏼
I Appreciate the help 👊🏼
Definitely not perfect but I’m happy with it since it was my first attempt..I definitely learned a lot

020CC1D1-CE77-4A2F-9793-BFD8B6552924.jpeg

559DD884-E94F-4D84-8DE9-FBD4E2B23FB7.jpeg

9E08541B-E915-4BFE-8E63-2BB517A32721.jpeg

CC57708C-8A69-45F6-AB8F-F4E056F4189A.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back