Rc boat question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigrayzrc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
The largest body of water imma have access to is a 2.5 acre pond, and I wanna get into boats. Are them big 6s boats to much for a pond? Are the 3/4s boats even to much for a pond? Should I just get a brushed boat like a traxxas blast?

The largest body of water imma have access to is a 2.5 acre pond, and I wanna get into boats. Are them big 6s boats to much for a pond? Are the 3/4s boats even to much for a pond? Should I just get a brushed boat like a traxxas blast?
I would not get a 6s boat to run in a pond, get one of those small ones with self righting. I am trying to remember the brand but irrc they sell them on Amazon for less than $100 and they run on a 2s lipo.

I would not get a 6s boat to run in a pond, get one of those small ones with self righting. I am trying to remember the brand but irrc they sell them on Amazon for less than $100 and they run on a 2s lipo.
Yea. I see that the traxxas blast used to be like 200 and now traxxas marked it down to 160.

Last edited:
What would you guess the dimensions of the pond are in feet or yards?
I can run 60± mph on a narrow 100 ft wide pond that is around 1200 ft long.

That high speed and giant roost is what makes it fun. On 4s at 40mph it's not nearly as exciting...

That high speed and giant roost is what makes it fun. On 4s at 40mph it's not nearly as exciting...
He said 2.5 acres and according to Google that is the equivalent of about 2.26 football fields. Your space is about 4 football fields.

That was the easiest thing I could think of for size reference was a football field. And thats much much bigger than what I was thinking it was. A 6s boat would probably still be pretty fun in a pond that size.

I'd guess 300 wide at the dam and 800 ft long

I'd guess 300 wide at the dam and 800 ft long
If you enjoy speed/big power on the rc cars then I'd go the same route with the boat.
I like to compare the granite 3s to a Kraton 6s. Both are fun but the 6s power is on another level...

I'll say for sure look for a mono with the self-righting feature. Retrieving a boat sucks!

4s will be the sweet spot for that pond with an option for 6s just for fun.

Ponds are perfect..I run mine in all size ponds .my largest size is a 42" catamaran.E.P silver fox 6s .

IMG_20211016_024611623.jpg

Rc boats are fun. Use to have a few enforcer gas boats. Very stable and would race the full scale boats down the intercoastal. Pick up one of these to retrieve it when battery dies. :LOL:

View attachment 263954

I need to get ridd of an enforcer gas boat that has been collecting dust in my attic.
Among some other large gas boats. If you happen to pass through Texas hit me up.

Rc boats are fun. Use to have a few enforcer gas boats. Very stable and would race the full scale boats down the intercoastal. Pick up one of these to retrieve it when battery dies. :LOL:

View attachment 263954
Pretty cool.i have several rescue boats but I haven't had to use any lately.good 🤞 I suppose.and all my boats have lipo alarms on them plus my transmitter alerts me when they low.lately I only use the ones with self righting feature.my pro vector is awesome with that chamber and my sonic wake also has a chamber.those are mono v hulls .my catamaran boats if they flip well I'll have to use the rescue boat and I allways bring my canoe 🛶.

Pretty cool.i have several rescue boats but I haven't had to use any lately.good 🤞 I suppose.and all my boats have lipo alarms on them plus my transmitter alerts me when they low.lately I only use the ones with self righting feature.my pro vector is awesome with that chamber and my sonic wake also has a chamber.those are mono v hulls .my catamaran boats if they flip well I'll have to use the rescue boat and I allways bring my canoe 🛶.
Yep, always good to have a back up. When my enforcer would stall, I would wave a 5 dollar bill over my head and someone in a real boat would bring it to me. That was back in the day when people were nice...lol. My airplane transmitter also has a low battery alarm, but I enjoy waiting until it dies and doing dead stick landings...makes you a better pilot! :LOL:

My record is 86mph on a ~ 300ft pond (across), 2 acres I would run up to 100mph without hesitation.
Ignore the fact that I was stuck in the embankment for ~1/3 of the boat length.

For a beginner, as with cars, stay far away from Traxxas. Nothing good in their inventory.
Stay 4S, but 6S capable. You will quickly find out that all your lipos are utter junk unless you have good name brand ones.

Only place for boat stuff, ignore every other webpage:
https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/

Beginner, get the Proboat recoil, only problem is the color. You lose it quickly on the water.
https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hh-prb08041

The Sonicwake is highly recommended, but you will burn up lipos and highly suggest to solder QS8 connectors on, EC5 will melt.
It's fun as f^$k though. With the right Lipo this is your dream for your size pond.

From there it goes into Cats, Hydros or Rigger.

Rule#1 Do NOT go out unless you have a method for retrieval.

Last edited:
Was quite a mission to get the Traxxas Spartan to stay in the water. Was fun driving but 3 min on 6s, that's it.

Here is mine (was mine, sold it):

Most fun is the SR65 when hiring a boat in summer for a day and jumping over the wake with the SR65. Spartan would be too dangerous for that and could land on the boat.

Screenshot 2022-12-20 223631.jpg

Screenshot 2022-12-20 223700.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back