Rc body spray paint vs regular spray paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigtim29

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
Eventually I’m going to want to get a clear body for my talion and spray paint it. I’ve spray painted rc bodies in the last using rust oleum which says on the can that it bonds to plastic. That paint chipped off very easily from rock hitting it and crashes. Does rc body paint not chip very easily?

The paint is applied to the inside of the body. Not sure how the chipping would occur. There might be some areas that require external paint but mostly reserved for decals. Here is my recent project. I decided not to paint the orange and yellow stripes so I made custom decals and applied them externally.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=tamiya+paint

ivan-stewart-sc.jpeg

I painted the inside of my last body with normal spray paint and when the body flexed, the paint would chip very easily .

I painted with regular canned paint and it was fine till I applied the shoe goo and drywall tape then it made these lovely bubbles...yeah, need polycarbonate painta next time ;)

Attachments

• 20200807_025234.jpg
    20200807_025234.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 116
I painted the inside of my last body with normal spray paint and when the body flexed, the paint would chip very easily .
I see you need to use the correct paint. See link.
Although some answers are correct, this hasn't explicitly been said:
You need the polycarbonate paint because it flexes and therfore doens't come off

And don't forget to wash the body before applying the paint :)
You really need to wash the inside as mentioned. My paint is not chipping and looks great. Oh yeah, and 3 coats.

A MUST --> Dark colors first and light colors last.

Coat 1: is a light dusting
Coat 2: starts to build up opacity
Coat 3: lays down a nice final layer

Hold it up to daylight and make sure you are opaque everywhere.

I’m probably just gonna do one solid color. Do I need to sand the inside of the body at all or just wash dry and paint.

I’m probably just gonna do one solid color. Do I need to sand the inside of the body at all or just wash dry and paint.
Washing and drying is the most important step. I like to wash mine with fine steel wool. It will scuff it just enough to get the paint to hold. I use dawn detergent. After I rinse it with hot water, dry it, then rinse again with isopropyl alcohol.

Some people lightly scuff the inside with OO/OOO steel wool, scotch brite pads, or nothing at all. I tried all 3 and results were the same as long as you use the right paint for RC shells.

If you want to make flames or do a couple colors use paint on mask. It works really well and about a thousand times better than tape. As others have said above use polycarbonate rc body paint or it will flake off. I do use testers model paint for trim with a small brush. That stays on but it’s only on maybe door handles and gas cap...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back