RC car in a carry-on bag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rasburry

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Granite
  3. Senton 3s
Random question, anyone every take their RC car on a flight in a carry on bag? I'm not a fan of checking bags and wondering if security will stop me if I have a basher truck in my cary on ?.

How about the lipo?

Last edited:
TSA would not allow you to transport the battery’s through a checkpoint in a carry on item. I would not willingly check one in in a bag either knowing what they are capable of. Not worth the risk involved in the belly or cabin of an aircraft at 30000 feet. Unpressurized cargo holds can also drop well below freezing during flight. Could also jeopardize a lipos integrity at those temps.

Ya, good point, no lipo. What about the truck?

TSA would not allow you to transport the battery’s through a checkpoint in a carry on item. I would not willingly check one in in a bag either knowing what they are capable of. Not worth the risk involved in the belly or cabin of an aircraft at 30000 feet.

Is this new? I have traveled many times with my drone lipos as carry-on. 20+ lipos at one time. There are guidelines for traveling with lipos on an aircraft.

^^^ yeah I followed those guidelines. My 3s packs were my biggest ones at 90ish watt hours. Less than 100 watt hours and there is no limit on quantity. I also plastic wrapped the ends (lead and balance) and then plastic wrapped the whole pack so security can see what it is.

I had all 20+ of my lipos "swabbed" at security for chemical checks but no issues anywhere.

That’s good to know. I was about to do the math to figure out watt hrs. On a side note how fast is screening typically? A lot of not unsure agents or is it typically smooth?

Truck should be fine. Just allow for additional screening time through security so you do not miss a flight.

I always told security ahead of time that the one specific bag I had was all lipos. They were always inside lipo bags and then inside a carry-on neatly organized. I found that as long as I notified them ahead instead of waiting for them to ask it was smoother and less issues/hassles. You have to show the security you know what you're doing and they work with you.

I've traveled a lot with camera equipment including batteries. Mostly Europe, but the rules are similar if not the same. You're good under 100Wh per pack for carry-on, but read through this:
https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=7
You may also want to check your airline's regulations.

Bigger packs are up to the security guy/gal. I took a bigger (150Wh) battery on a recent flight by mistake and almost had to leave it in Frankfurt going back home. I had to get a permission from the airline and bring it to the screening area with me. They always swab all of my electronics. And act as if they've never seen a camera before, but it goes relatively smooth. ?‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

Like fpvmiller said, explain what it is and you should be fine.

Keep in mind that most 'computing devices' (including smartphones, cameras and laptops) have LiPos. These get stored in both carry on and cargo all the time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back