Kraton RC-Dad's Kraton EXB Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I pulled the dual connection off the ESC and extended the wires by soldering on some additional 10g wire using a butt joint solder splice and then heat shrinking it. After that I covered with the braided sleeve and shrinked the ends with proper colors. Then went ahead and made myself a little y splitter with a spark arrestor on the one side. This should give me more options and allow me to run just 1 battery in the future if I get any 6s batteries later.
View attachment 125442

I also got my PPS switchplate delivered on friday but when I tried to install I noticed that the supplied hardware was the wrong size and the new screws diameter was to large. I'm a bit confused by that since I am still using the stock ESC fan that came with the castle ESC. So now I need to source some proper screws to mount to the ESC. I may go ahead and upgrade the fans now since I'm looking to add a few to the motor right now also.
View attachment 125443

and of course one of the main reasons we get into this hobby... for all the smiles. The Cousins got out this weekend enjoying some awesome bash weather.
View attachment 125444
View attachment 125445

You REALLY need to treat yourself to a pack of 6S batteries--Hold on!!!!

You REALLY need to treat yourself to a pack of 6S batteries--Hold on!!!!
I'm running 6s, just using 2 3s packs.
As for the PPS screws, at first I thought same thing you did, but when I screwed them into fan cover all the way they easily spun so I could tighten them down, think they are intentionally a little larger diameter.
Hmm thats interesting, Ill have to go take another look at this then. I was concerned about damaging the esc housing using those larger screws.

Hmm thats interesting, Ill have to go take another look at this then. I was concerned about damaging the esc housing using those larger screws.
So the concern with this ESC is length, too long a screw can damage caps. I also know some have had trouble with fan cover being too flimsy and making contact with fan. My assumption is they went to a beefier screw that secured the shroud better and had more bite into plastic base as well. I’ve had no problems, and while bigger they definitely weren’t overly so going in.

As for the PPS screws, at first I thought same thing you did, but when I screwed them into fan cover all the way they easily spun so I could tighten them down, think they are intentionally a little larger diameter.
The supplied pps screws worked out perfectly after I fitted them through the fan cover. Thanks for the tip.

Another small little mod to the kraton. Used 1/16" abs plastic for the mud guards.

20210213_080629.jpg

20210213_081441.jpg

20210213_082619.jpg

20210213_082641.jpg

Well made a small mistake when working on the front end of kraton today. Was working on removing the steering rack and replacing the bushings with bearings and I managed to crack an ear on one of the parts on the top of the diff housing. Over tightened the screw ever so slightly and it split. Anyway got the bearings in atleast. Also bumped the BEC voltage up to 7.4 to help the servo out. It was quite sluggish before. After swapping to bearings in the rack and boosting voltage to servo it does respond quicker for sure, but it does still have a hard time moving the wheels when stationary on carpet. Is this normal? It is zippy when unloaded.

20210214_113135.jpg

20210214_113957.jpg

20210214_114042.jpg

Last edited:
Had some parts come in over the weekend and still a few more to show up this week. Didn't do much work on the rig this last week but have been enjoying some nice snow bashing sessions. I ordered some screen mesh to cover the fans like I've seen others do on the forum. I used 30 Mesh and now I'm wondering if maybe I picked to fine of a mesh size. hmmm
20210221_122714.jpg

20210221_122233.jpg

20210221_122408.jpg

The parts are starting to stack up, need to get some of these goodies installed soon. :)
20210222_062957.jpg

Also pulled the trigger on some of those amazon screw sets. Hopefully the quality is as good as the stated 12.9 steel rating.
20210222_063841.jpg

Looking good! If your steering is still weak when loaded, look at the servo horn. If it is moving but the tires aren’t responding it is likely your servo saver spring is too weak.

It was quite sluggish before. After swapping to bearings in the rack and boosting voltage to servo it does respond quicker for sure, but it does still have a hard time moving the wheels when stationary on carpet. Is this normal? It is zippy when unloaded.
THIS will solve your problem, mine moves the carpet now:ROFLMAO:

I run 22T on mine, same setup except I have fans on my motor just in case 😁👍🏼
Did anyone change the diff fluid yet? My first run with this same setup scorched my center diff. Was told to go to a 600k oil in the center but no clue on the front and rear

A little bit about my Kraton EXB and gear.

Motor
Castle 1717 1650Kv (running sensored)
ESC
Castle Mamba Monster X 8s
Servo
DS3235 35KG
Receiver
Futaba R304SB
Transmitter
Futaba 3PV
Batteries
Zee 5500Mah 80C 3s Lipo (x2)
Charger
EV-Peak CQ3

Running Stock Pinion for now and am just getting used to the platform. I know everyone likes pictures so here we go...

Opening Day right out of the box
View attachment 123215

Go big or go home they say
View attachment 123216

Electronics fitted roughly. Still waiting on a longer sensor wire and a practical proto plate for the ESC switch.
View attachment 123218

Curious kitty
View attachment 123219

Cheap amazon servo seems ok so far.
View attachment 123220

For an amazon special this charger seems like a tank.
View attachment 123217

batteries with XT90 connectors
View attachment 123212

Got some snow and so I snuck out for a quick snow bash. Still getting used to this much power, since my last RC prior to this was a 2s Stampede. That is now my daughters rig and I made a small upgrade. :)

View attachment 123221
View attachment 123222
View attachment 123223

First snow bash led to my first broken part also. Like I said I'm still getting used to all this power. ;) Anyone know of a replacement for just the inside buffer for the front bumper?
View attachment 123225
That part is sold with the whole bumper setup. EXB bumper is considered stronger than the RPM Bumper, but the very cold got the best of it.
An RPM bumper may be better in freezing temps. IDK
Have you noticed any issues with the sensor lead and signal drops, like the Motor temp reads? Have you checked the Castle Link data logs in regards?
Water and sensored cables and their pins don't get along.

That part is sold with the whole bumper setup. EXB bumper is considered stronger than the RPM Bumper, but the very cold got the best of it.
An RPM bumper may be better in freezing temps. IDK
Have you noticed any issues with the sensor lead and signal drops, like the Motor temp reads? Have you checked the Castle Link data logs in regards?
Water and sensored cables and their pins don't get along.
Yes it was most definitely the cold temps. I've had an RPM bumper on since I broke the exb one and haven't had a problem with it yet. I ordered a replacement exb bumper but they are on backorder like most all parts right now.

What do you mean by signal drops? I can check the logs but haven't spent much time with those honestly.

Ok, you never checked your data logs. Some guys check them and notice the motor temp data is missing or unknown for example among other data. Sometimes it's the Sensor leads/pins and Water as one issue or even just Dirt and corrosion.
If you don't have Castle Link for access disregard I guess.

I have castlelink, have connected and made some settings adjustments but haven't messed with the logs yet. It's kinda a pain since I have to open the reciever box each time I want to use it. I've played in the snow a few times now but each time has come with so much post run maintenance that I'm quickly learning it might just not be worth it to play in the snow.

little update on my ongoing kraton build. Broke a rear arm and sheared my rear wing screws so when I was installing the replacement and doing the screw extractions I also installed a few of my new voltage hop up parts on the rear end.
20210301_144805.jpg

20210303_080440.jpg
20210303_084213.jpg

20210301_131151.jpg

Also needed to get the front and rear center brace holders replaced with hot racing replacements since I managed to overtighten the front and broke an ear.
20210303_083146.jpg
20210301_133352.jpg

with those replacements installed I moved onto the motor and center diff. Thermal tape on the inside of the heatshink and after some minor trimming it installed into the new PPS motor mount.
20210228_094835.jpg
20210301_082543.jpg
20210228_103659.jpg

Next up was the hot racing servo saver assembly.
20210301_143454.jpg
20210301_143512.jpg

With all the new parts installed it was time to take it out for a bash session. With the exception of frying my cheap amazon servo the bash was a success. Now looking into a new servo option to replace this one. I haven't pulled it out of the truck yet but it feels like the interal gears are stripped because there is no resistance when turning the wheels.

20210303_105720.jpg
20210303_110209.jpg

will be back again with another update once I have investigated the toasted servo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back