RC Pit Mats. post your work area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to do slat wall but it's insanely stupid expensive.
It also looks great but not to good on space saving. At least when they show nice neat pics like that. Theres not to much on that wall when you think about it, and it takes up the whole wall. I used some once for a fancier peg board for larger items. For hanging some trucks and a few parts and tools it might be perfect though but $$ like mentioned.

I'd love to do slat wall but it's insanely stupid expensive.
Gotta buy it used Woodie. There are usually tons of outfitters that sell old store displays. Doesn't have to be the fancy vinyl stuff you find at the Depot either. MDF slat wall will be more than strong enough to hold a few items. Shoe stores use them for displays all the time. The hardware might have to come from a hardware store, but they really are very useful for storing and displaying.

Nice shop man! !
Insulation... walls and ceiling 100% with exterior wall insulation. Not sure how much u know about it but it makes a huge difference.
Sheet rock is up to u, wont do that much if anything for controlling temps. Where do you live? Im in CT and in the summer my shed is super hot! And i have vents.
Id recommend vents and fan sucking out and one sucking in on either end of shed.

Flooring i would do something flat... nkt like the diamond plate. For me it traps dirt and is not as easy to quickly sweep.
I would look for anything light in solid color without graphics. You drop one thing on a floor like that and its a pita to find.
Either stick on or roll out flooring works great.

Looks like you got the lighting down! I like work lights and low chill lights also.

If your planning on hanging a screen for YouTubing check out www.monoprice.com for mounts and all wiring needs.

Pinterest for all shed ideas! So many ways to model your shop

#1 question is... what beer is that??

Thanks for your time and advice, friends!

Insulation- I do understand the benefits but know nothing about installation of insulation. I'm in South Louisiana and it's humid first....then cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I want to insulate but kinda have it on the backburner til I get a hit of cash. The cash will come but it may be closer to fall again before I get to do the insulation project.... Mostly because I'd rather use 4x8 foam board stuff vs pink panther batten but whatever is least steps vs cost is my goal??. I honestly have zero experience here but also realize the benefits. I'd love to know more from you guys rather than what I read.
For climate control I bought a portable AC as advised by @Notorious J. It can remove humidity and while they normally output to a window, I can fab a flange to one of the lower vents in the shed instead of taking up my only window. This is in the works and will happen.
@Notorious J, yes, there is a skylight and window and I get nice natural light.
The fan circulation idea suggested is solid imo and may be workable especially to save instead of running the AC. I'll look into this too.

Flooring- I've looked at flooring including and especially what @Notorious J mentions. I love the black checkered and textured but considering cost and still dirt showing on black, I'm thinking other options. Right now, if I can get some solid dark grey, cheap-ass linoleum, stick on tile stuff for the standard flooring, I'll save $ and easy to keep clean / won't show the dirt. With that in place, I can go on top with texture and softer "piece-together" 12" x tiles that are comfortable but can be pulled up when it's time to clean. Kinda like a rug in the areas most tracked....if that makes sense.

Extras and Screen / Youtube - well, maybe but I'm not so good at editing video. Or, I don't like the time it takes to edit video etc. I'm pretty good with any software that I can get motivated to master but I just can't make myself take the time to get right and edit video footage. This hopefully will change but I don't have immediate plans to make a 'public or promoted' youtube channel just yet. The idea is certainly enticing! Not sure if I'm the fella for it and after all, you guys are so much better mechanically than I am with the tools and hands required here in this hobby. I do have good hands, and I do have good tools but I make nice food first with food tools...lol... and it's what pays the bills. I am though absolutely motivated to be able to do and think like you guys do in this forum. I want to be proficient with these RCs and the tools it takes to repair and refine.

I've looked at Pinterest for ideas and they are many. Would be cool to build a rack system to store and show my trucks vs buying a system that's been shown here with the horizontal slats and kit. I've looked at HDepot and online including store liquidation but so far in my area, no luck. I'm in a small town. Fortunately New Orleans and Baton Rouge are close enough so I'll keep looking. The suggestions mentioned above are very doable and not out of reach at all! Just need to find that deal and grab it up. Thank you all for taking the time to share your experience and advice!
I'm in a smaller 10x12 space and walls are minimal but if I were able to find just a 4x8, I figure I could hang up 10 or so trucks nicely. Any more than 10 trucks and I'm in more trouble than I thought. lol ?

It means so much to me that you took the time to help and give suggestions and as I progress, I hope you'll continue to share your ideas. I'm pretty easy going and /humble enough to consider anything. This is my hobby that I've jumped into to keep from getting burned out in my daily work. I used to combine both and it was killing me. Now that I feel part of a hobby forum with great folks like you, I'm motivated and open to any and all suggestions. I'm here to learn and grow my collection and my knowledge and I hope I can maybe share what I've learned here with others. After all, I have a new shop that three years ago would've never crossed my mind. I'm investing in this big fun and I'm glad to be here. ???

@Saltystevo That is an IPA that I buy pretty much daily from New Belgium. It's the Voodoo Ranger. I pretty much only drink IPA because I love bitter hops and this one is well balanced for me. I would prefer less alcohol but it is what it is. To make a nice Pale Ale, we need to add sugar to counter the bitter....and in turn it creates alcohol. I can usually only drink 5 or 6 a night tops. I'd rather drink 10 because I like what it tastes like but it doesn't work for me because it's 7% and too much is too much. ??♥?
Most often I drink 4 or 5 over several hours and finish off with some cheap food and kool aid. This is day to day safe enough. lol

Last edited:
Thanks for your time and advice, friends!

Insulation- I do understand the benefits but know nothing about installation of insulation. I'm in South Louisiana and it's humid first....then cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I want to insulate but kinda have it on the backburner til I get a hit of cash. The cash will come but it may be closer to fall again before I get to do the insulation project.... Mostly because I'd rather use 4x8 foam board stuff vs pink panther batten but whatever is least steps vs cost is my goal??. I honestly have zero experience here but also realize the benefits. I'd love to know more from you guys rather than what I read.
For climate control I bought a portable AC as advised by @Notorious J. It can remove humidity and while they normally output to a window, I can fab a flange to one of the lower vents in the shed instead of taking up my only window. This is in the works and will happen.
@Notorious J, yes, there is a skylight and window and I get nice natural light.
The fan circulation idea suggested is solid imo and may be workable especially to save instead of running the AC. I'll look into this too.

Flooring- I've looked at flooring including and especially what @Notorious J mentions. I love the black checkered and textured but considering cost and still dirt showing on black, I'm thinking other options. Right now, if I can get some solid dark grey, cheap-ass linoleum, stick on tile stuff for the standard flooring, I'll save $ and easy to keep clean / won't show the dirt. With that in place, I can go on top with texture and softer "piece-together" 12" x tiles that are comfortable but can be pulled up when it's time to clean. Kinda like a rug in the areas most tracked....if that makes sense.

Extras and Screen / Youtube - well, maybe but I'm not so good at editing video. Or, I don't like the time it takes to edit video etc. I'm pretty good with any software that I can get motivated to master but I just can't make myself take the time to get right and edit video footage. This hopefully will change but I don't have immediate plans to make a 'public or promoted' youtube channel just yet. The idea is certainly enticing! Not sure if I'm the fella for it and after all, you guys are so much better mechanically than I am with the tools and hands required here in this hobby. I do have good hands, and I do have good tools but I make nice food first with food tools...lol... and it's what pays the bills. I am though absolutely motivated to be able to do and think like you guys do in this forum. I want to be proficient with these RCs and the tools it takes to repair and refine.

I've looked at Pinterest for ideas and they are many. Would be cool to build a rack system to store and show my trucks vs buying a system that's been shown here with the horizontal slats and kit. I've looked at HDepot and online including store liquidation but so far in my area, no luck. I'm in a small town. Fortunately New Orleans and Baton Rouge are close enough so I'll keep looking. The suggestions mentioned above are very doable and not out of reach at all! Just need to find that deal and grab it up. Thank you all for taking the time to share your experience and advice!
I'm in a smaller 10x12 space and walls are minimal but if I were able to find just a 4x8, I figure I could hang up 10 or so trucks nicely. Any more than 10 trucks and I'm in more trouble than I thought. lol ?

It means so much to me that you took the time to help and give suggestions and as I progress, I hope you'll continue to share your ideas. I'm pretty easy going and /humble enough to consider anything. This is my hobby that I've jumped into to keep from getting burned out in my daily work. I used to combine both and it was killing me. Now that I feel part of a hobby forum with great folks like you, I'm motivated and open to any and all suggestions. I'm here to learn and grow my collection and my knowledge and I hope I can maybe share what I've learned here with others. After all, I have a new shop that three years ago would've never crossed my mind. I'm investing in this big fun and I'm glad to be here. ???

@Saltystevo That is an IPA that I buy pretty much daily from New Belgium. It's the Voodoo Ranger. I pretty much only drink IPA because I love bitter hops and this one is well balanced for me. I would prefer less alcohol but it is what it is. To make a nice Pale Ale, we need to add sugar to counter the bitter....and in turn it creates alcohol. I can usually only drink 5 or 6 a night tops. I'd rather drink 10 because I like what it tastes like but it doesn't work because it's 7% ??♥?
Cool reply. Voodoo Ranger, ive had it. I enjoy the IPAs. Im kind of spoiled with then as i live in the middle of ipa heaven.
For the mount... i just meant you can hang a monitor and watch some bashing vids ;)
Or YouTube some music, go on the forum, etc.
Foam insulation is the way to go as you really don't need sheet rock and its pretty easy to work with. Im not a pro so maybe someone else can chime in with that.
Shed shops are great, enjoy the build and keep posting!

Cool reply. Voodoo Ranger, ive had it. I enjoy the IPAs. Im kind of spoiled with then as i live in the middle of ipa heaven.
For the mount... i just meant you can hang a monitor and watch some bashing vids ;)
Foam insulation is the way to go as you really don't need sheet rock and its pretty easy to work with. Im not a pro so maybe someone else can chime in with that.
thank you!

I have a retina macbook pro that I hate that will probably live in the shed / shop. I also have a BenQ display that I use for my desktop rig inside that could migrate outside as soon as I find a cool new display.... Maybe one of those curved tricks or wide screens inside.
I like the idea of a screen and tvs cost much less than they used to. If I got a 42-46" tv, I could be in good shape. Maybe get it in a corner of the shop on a Monoprice articulating mount. I've bought from Monoprice for a long time and their screen mounts have always been great deals.
Once I get some insulation installed, I'll get a display in there. This is a perfect idea you've suggested and would probably motivate me to spend more time out there and get more done. ????

I have a retina macbook pro that I hate that will probably live in the shed / shop. I also have a BenQ display that I use for my desktop rig inside that could migrate outside as soon as I find a cool new display.... Maybe one of those curved tricks or wide screens inside.
I like the idea of a screen and tvs cost much less than they used to. If I got a 42-46" tv, I could be in good shape. Maybe get it in a corner of the shop on a Monoprice articulating mount. I've bought from Monoprice for a long time and their screen mounts have always been great deals.
Once I get some insulation installed, I'll get a display in there. This is a perfect idea you've suggested and would probably motivate me to spend more time out there and get more done. ????
:) for sure. A shop/man cave isnt complete without some viewing and listening gear. "Shop" Speakers are super cheap and almost free sometimes and monitors are super cheap new now a days but usually youll have something old or can find something used thats more then decent quality for garage/shed viewing. Then theres always future upgrades to that when you really know what you desire to invest in. So as an example, tonight i just went out to a new local place that does BYOB Axe throwing! https://www.blueoxaxethrowing.com/ i had a great time and said to myself, self you need this in your garage. Lol it'll never happen because wifey is right above me sleeping but im definitely making a pine target to continue the fun at home outside. Already have the exact eastwing axe too;)
Its just the little side entertainment things that make a shop more like a entertainment area and more inviting for others to enjoy it. At least thats what i try to do. Tools and Toys for life!

Last edited:
My current situation:
View attachment 32103
Putting in a taller bench and fixing the space to be a dedicated RC work area. electrostatic matt to top it off and just put in an exho dot tonight for the tunes.
I don't know if anyone else noticed Stevo, but that turbo might be a little overkill for rc?

Thats what left of my Super charger? after it was modded with larger wheel and housing
it's been a long time since my focus was on 1:1 vehicles. I should have known. Everything I've driven over the last 25 years has been "RTR"?

it's been a long time since my focus was on 1:1 vehicles. I should have known. Everything I've driven over the last 25 years has been "RTR"?
Same here... haven't done any real performance mods to cars in a while. The toys, well i cant seem to leave them stock. Supercharger belongs to a seadoo, currently puts out 255 hp , GPSed 72 on flat water?
The intercooler is on the shelf in pic

If i didnt have a matt i would have taken this advice for sure! Never thought of that one
I use yoga blocks too for car stands. The function well for 1:10 and 1:8. Other than these two items, I have zero interest in yoga whatsoever.

Now that the shop has power, beer fridge and is ready to inhabit, I have a pile of stuff to get on my trucks. I've put it off until I had a space to work in. Work will slow down soon and I'll be on it.
The photo only shows what I had in one box I brought out there tonight.

Back