RC Track 2.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenyon

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hey guys! It's been a while. The old track I built grew over with weeds and I have cleared the slate for another attempt. (I would post a link to the discussion we had about the last track, but I don't even know if that's possible). For this attempt, I took the advice you all gave (aside from the podium, which will come once I am satisfied with the track). Instead of just making a big trail/road to drive on like I did last time, I cleared a small field (about 300' x 110') and plan to divide lanes using 4" corrugated pipe (or something similar). We have already smoothed the field which took about a week, and it is looking nice. I just wanted to make an appearance here and share what I have so far as well as see if anyone has any input that might be helpful. One concern I have is that 300' is a bit of a jaunt, so if (when) I wreck the kids are gonna have to run a long ways (gotta love that free labor). But seriously, do y'all think that is too big? I really want a nice, long, flat straight away where I can open it up, but I don't want to go overboard. I am going to post a pic of the field as it is now as well as a couple of layout ideas we have been tossing around. The pics on graph paper are pretty close to being to scale. We are planning on making the lanes about 15' wide. If anyone gets bored and wants to draw out any other ideas on graph paper we are open to suggestions. We haven't even started on jumps and stuff yet, but I think I really like table tops for their simplicity. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and opinions!

20210906_212717.jpg

20210906_194531.jpg

20210906_102130.jpg

Hey guys! It's been a while. The old track I built grew over with weeds and I have cleared the slate for another attempt. (I would post a link to the discussion we had about the last track, but I don't even know if that's possible). For this attempt, I took the advice you all gave (aside from the podium, which will come once I am satisfied with the track). Instead of just making a big trail/road to drive on like I did last time, I cleared a small field (about 300' x 110') and plan to divide lanes using 4" corrugated pipe (or something similar). We have already smoothed the field which took about a week, and it is looking nice. I just wanted to make an appearance here and share what I have so far as well as see if anyone has any input that might be helpful. One concern I have is that 300' is a bit of a jaunt, so if (when) I wreck the kids are gonna have to run a long ways (gotta love that free labor). But seriously, do y'all think that is too big? I really want a nice, long, flat straight away where I can open it up, but I don't want to go overboard. I am going to post a pic of the field as it is now as well as a couple of layout ideas we have been tossing around. The pics on graph paper are pretty close to being to scale. We are planning on making the lanes about 15' wide. If anyone gets bored and wants to draw out any other ideas on graph paper we are open to suggestions. We haven't even started on jumps and stuff yet, but I think I really like table tops for their simplicity. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and opinions!

View attachment 167920

View attachment 167921

View attachment 167922
Looks good. How wide is the track? From past experience, i've learned you want it at least 5ft with my 1/10.

Looks good. How wide is the track? From past experience, i've learned you want it at least 5ft with my 1/10.
The old one was about 6' and it wasn't nearly wide enough. This one doesn't have any lanes yet, but we plan to make them roughly 15' wide. We are still trying to decide on a layout and we got a bunch of rain so the tractor will tear it up right now.

The old one was about 6' and it wasn't nearly wide enough. This one doesn't have any lanes yet, but we plan to make them roughly 15' wide. We are still trying to decide on a layout and we got a bunch of rain so the tractor will tear it up right now.
Wow.. 15 foot lanes? You could race MAC trucks on that.. Once you get good you'll only need about 2 feet.

Wow.. 15 foot lanes? You could race MAC trucks on that.. Once you get good you'll only need about 2 feet.
Well, I am far from good! The last track I started building was only 6 feet wide and I spent more time in the bushes than on the track! I did some searching online and most of the places that I could find recommended 12' to 15' lane width. I also went to the track in Johnson City next to Hobbytown and their lanes varied between 10' and 15'. Maybe some day I will have the skills to run on a 2' track, but it won't be before I get this track built.
I went out and played on the track some this afternoon. I took some videos, but YouTube has changed since the last time I uploaded a video and I can't figure out how to upload anything. If I can figure it out I will post some links.
I went out and played on the track some this afternoon. I took some videos, but YouTube has changed since the last time I uploaded a video and I can't figure out how to upload anything. If I can figure it out I will post some links.
Here are a few videos to illustrate what we have so far:

A tour of the RC track so far

trying out the RC track to be

some more driving on the RC track to be

I don't know if links will work like this. If not, I will try something else.

Last edited:
Well, I am far from good! The last track I started building was only 6 feet wide and I spent more time in the bushes than on the track! I did some searching online and most of the places that I could find recommended 12' to 15' lane width. I also went to the track in Johnson City next to Hobbytown and their lanes varied between 10' and 15'. Maybe some day I will have the skills to run on a 2' track, but it won't be before I get this track built.
Here are a few videos to illustrate what we have so far:

A tour of the RC track so far

trying out the RC track to be

some more driving on the RC track to be

I don't know if links will work like this. If not, I will try something else.

What makes a great track (and I'm not saying you don't have one) is the right amount of "moisture" (I know that word can trigger some people) and the right amount of clay. Once you establish traction via. moisture and tire compound, your track skillzzz become 1000% better than they were before those 2 things. Next step would be running in that blue groove! GL man! I love racing!

Before you know it, you will be looking for a FAST servo to keep up with your fast lap times! (y)💪

Thank you. I think with the rain we have been getting, once we clear all the loose stuff off the surface we will be getting some decent traction. We want to burn up that South East (bottom right on the graph paper drawing) button hook a bit and smooth it out. It's still pretty rough and that makes it hard to slow down quickly enough coming out of that straight away.

Here is some more video of the track in progress. We got a fair amount of work done on the first berm. It still needs some work, but the basics are there. If anyone is looking at any of these posts, feel free to comment with opinions, and advice. Thanks.

Building an RC track. First berm.

Here is some more video of the track in progress. We got a fair amount of work done on the first berm. It still needs some work, but the basics are there. If anyone is looking at any of these posts, feel free to comment with opinions, and advice. Thanks.

Building an RC track. First berm.
Well, I guess the way it's sideways is kinda annoying. But if you can't fix that then I guess it's fine.

Need to rotate the video in your editing software I think.
Im far from any expert on this though.:)

Need to rotate the video in your editing software I think.
Im far from any expert on this though.:)
Ha ha ha. "Editing software" he says. I took the video with my phone and was thrilled when I thought I had successfully put it on YouTube AND shared the link here. I wonder if there is some kind of editing software on my phone. Is that what you meant?

Ha ha ha. "Editing software" he says. I took the video with my phone and was thrilled when I thought I had successfully put it on YouTube AND shared the link here. I wonder if there is some kind of editing software on my phone. Is that what you meant?
No. There are software's you can get for editing your footage. On most phones you can rotate pics/vids though.

No. There are software's you can get for editing your footage. On most phones you can rotate pics/vids though.
I can turn my phone and it will rotate, but I don't know how to orient it the way I want when it copies to YouTube. I will have to mess with it. Or, better yet have one of the kids mess with it.

The latest and greatest from the RC track. It is coming along pretty well and we are learning a lot. Bonus footage of me hitting myself in the ankle and breaking my DX5C.

Tour of the RC track so far:

First run with new corner table top.. The sides are WAY too steep!!

Doing a few laps with the newly modified corner table top... And then breaking my transmitter!!

Gonna need a tower and bleachers in the center. That is a good sized track! :)
Yeah, we are probably going to build a tower up on the hill where the "Kicker/sender jump is. Eventually, the center will be covered in lanes too. Do you think it is too big? I know it's hard to see in the video, but it isn't really that bad in person.

I think it's awesome, nice not to be squished in somewhere! Enjoy, I wish I could! (y)
If you're ever in East Tennessee you're welcome to try it out!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back