RC Track 2.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some videos of where we are on the track. We decided to do a little mini tournament. The track is coming along slowly. I kind of got side tracked with digging the pond (if you watched some of the earlier videos you will notice the weeds in the background are gone and the ground has been plowed). Also we are using some leftover Poly pipe to mark the lanes for now. Eventually we will get some corrugated pipe, but we aren't in a big hurry. We are just having fun with it.

Me Vs Mikel

Logan Vs Keira

Me Vs Logan

Mikel Vs Keira

Wow, mega-track! So the first design looks fast and boring, the second one looks slow and tedious. The third one would be perfect with a bunch of random piles of packed dirt in the middle! I'd copy designs from supercross stadium courses myself, to keep it fast and flowy with lots of big jumps. Having the ability to alter a space like that for RC on a whim must be nice!

Yeah, we want to keep the speed up, and none of us have a ton of experience so we are just adding stuff in little by little. We are thinking that with our limited experience, a "fast and boring" track with a bunch of jumps and stuff would be just the ticket. We are getting the hang of the big button berm, and the corner table top, but still having some trouble on the alternating triples. Once we get the hang of that we will probably add some inside lanes to keep things exciting. Everything that is on it now with the exception of the wedge jump in front of the tower are obstacles I got from watching RC tracks online. None of us are on the level of wanting big air yet, so we will put that off until we are ready to start breaking things and replacing parts.

For laying out jumps in series, check out what pump track guys do. I know you can't pump a car like you can a bike or moto, but they have some formulas worked out for how to space sequential jumps in rhythm. Lee McCormack (leelikesbikes.com) has a book or two and a website dedicated to building bike tracks, but the same principles apply. This isn't the right formula for a ROAR track, but for airing out 8th scale monster trucks is right on the money.

If you have water available near your track, you can enjoy the traction benefits of wetting down and packing the clay in once you have more built up. A little glyphosate on the main parts will be useful come springtime, too.

That's good advice! Thank you! I will look into proper spacing of sequential jumps. I just assumed that it was the job of the driver to figure it out. There is a year round creek running along the base of the hills just South of where the track is (you can see where the ground is all torn up where I am digging for the pond. I have a little pump that I can use for wetting the track, but we haven't bothered with that yet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back