Felony RCAWD Handbrake Module thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gethall

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 6s
Has anyone installed one of these?https://www.amazon.com/RCAWD-Handbrake-ARA109011-ARA109001-Infraction/dp/B08LN83XH9
If you did, please share your experience and thoughts.
I planned on getting an Infraction V2, but I prefer the look of the Felony, but the lack of the handbrake feature is pushing me towards the Infraction.

Screenshot_20210226-092808.png

I have seen this.
I think its a good alloy option. (Kind of $expensive$ for fluff however, just bling that it is) The stock plastic one flexes much as seen in many Infr v2 review video's. I think that sucks to begin with IMHO.

>>>>Me personally, I would not like the Handbrake at all. It is just fluff that will lose the wow factor quick. A Fad. Never be used. It just makes the chassis more bloated and destroys the tires even faster which without this HB is a real problem enough.
I have a , V1 Infr.
If I get new V2 one as I plan to, I will be removing the whole HB altogether out the box. I wont even need to try it out. I know how it works. The idea of the HB seems original, I just didn't like how they adapted it to the drivetrain at all. Just gets in the way when wrenching, creates a liability with the other components for something that wont be used much if at all. A nuisance if anything. If you ask around, you will see that many don't use it after the novelty wears off. And HD Core speed runners wont be caught dead with that crap. The over head of a HB servo on the BEC is not practical and is inefficient. And in function, it stresses out, creates heat, at the Center Diff greatly.
HB does not impress me in any way at all. Just me. :cool:

Last edited:
I have seen this.
I think its a good alloy option. (Kind of $expensive$ for fluff however, just bling that it is) The stock plastic one flexes much as seen in many Infr v2 review video's. I think that sucks to begin with IMHO.

>>>>Me personally, I would not like the Handbrake at all. It is just fluff that will lose the wow factor quick. A Fad. Never be used. It just makes the chassis more bloated and destroys the tires even faster which without this HB is a real problem enough.
I have a , V1 Infr.
If I get new V2 one as I plan to, I will be removing the whole HB altogether out the box. I wont even need to try it out. I know how it works. The idea of the HB seems original, I just didn't like how they adapted it to the drivetrain at all. Just gets in the way when wrenching, creates a liability with the other components for something that wont be used much if at all. A nuisance if anything. If you ask around, you will see that many don't use it after the novelty wears off. And HD Core speed runners wont be caught dead with that crap. The over head of a HB servo on the BEC is not practical and is inefficient. And in function, it stresses out, creates heat, at the Center Diff greatly.
HB does not impress me in any way at all. Just me. :cool:
That is some great info, and it is entirely making me rethink my preference for the Infraction over the Felony. I was concerned about the rapid tire wear of these vehicles, and you're right, the HB will tear them up even faster.

Thank you🙌🏼

I think the best use case for a HB is in a speed run car using a spool to reduce motor temps as braking usually adds more heat than going forward. Otherwise, I think it has potential to cause more harm than good.

I have been into RC for 30+ years. Arrma had the Hand brake in the original design of the Lim and Infr chassis. The chassis already had the 3 holes and the recess in the chassis there from it's V1 release. And left the HB off V1. They decided to use it as a revision. And I think it was just a marketing feature ultimately with V2 Infr. They could have included it in the felony, but I am sure the price point and bottom line profit had a greater influence.

From my exp. with RC I don't feel the HB design was employed well enough, drivetrain wise and how it is activated. It looks great in videos. It is a unique concept that doesn't serve any usable function. Just a marketing tool with a wow factor.
The HB should have been mixed with the ESC Thr. It would also serve a better function locking the front wheels instead. For Drag running. Think Dragster "Line lock". Just my opinion. I may get flamed by those that have the V2 Infr.:LOL:
I think the best use case for a HB is in a speed run car using a spool to reduce motor temps as braking usually adds more heat than going forward. Otherwise, I think it has potential to cause more harm than good.
^^^ I agree in theory.
However that tiny little poor excuse for a brake disc would never hold up. If you have been into Nitro for a while. You know what I mean.
Using this setup with a spool will smoke the disc and brake assy., and perhaps the output cup. A lot of heat there.:LOL:
If you were to mix the HB channel (channel mixing) with the ESC Brake using an appropriate radio there may be a chance to make it work more efficiently. Making the HB more of a passive device. Not manually operated.
This is the only way I would even consider buying the HB module and a servo ( alloy module only) and setting it up with Channel mixing,
I put much thought into this as you can see.:) I would try it out on my v1 Infr first. Not my spooled Lim.

Last edited:
These are interesting opinions. I'm relatively new to RC, but I absolutely love the HB in the Infraction. I use it constantly. Maybe that's because its my first RC of this type and I'm not used to it not being there?

I have been into RC for 30+ years. Arrma had the Hand brake in the original design of the Lim and Infr chassis. The chassis already had the 3 holes and the recess in the chassis there from it's V1 release. And left the HB off V1. They decided to use it as a revision. And I think it was just a marketing feature ultimately with V2 Infr. They could have included it in the felony, but I am sure the price point and bottom line profit had a greater influence.

From my exp. with RC I don't feel the HB design was employed well enough, drivetrain wise and how it is activated. It looks great in videos. It is a unique concept that doesn't serve any usable function. Just a marketing tool with a wow factor.
The HB should have been mixed with the ESC Thr. It would also serve a better function locking the front wheels instead. For Drag running. Think Dragster "Line lock". Just my opinion. I may get flamed by those that have the V2 Infr.:LOL:

^^^ I agree in theory.
However that tiny little poor excuse for a brake disc would never hold up. If you have been into Nitro for a while. You know what I mean.
Using this setup with a spool will smoke the disc and brake assy., and perhaps the output cup. A lot of heat there.:LOL:
If you were to mix the HB channel (channel mixing) with the ESC Brake using an appropriate radio there may be a chance to make it work more efficiently. Making the HB more of a passive device. Not manually operated.
This is the only way I would even consider buying the HB module and a servo ( alloy module only) and setting it up with Channel mixing,
I put much thought into this as you can see.:) I would try it out on my v1 Infr first. Not my spooled Lim.

Disc brake fade wouldnt be much of an issue if used as an ESC assist, and it only has to stop "once" per run just like light weight drag racing brakes for Mustangs, Novas, etc... that look like they belong on a motorcycle. I want to try to set the servo to drag the caliper lightly to assist the ESC brake If I can get the radio to, or just do it the manual way and adjust the caliper screws. I want to see what else it might be able to do.

For sliding around I think it conserves the tires instead of throttling to whip the rig around all the time.

I still wish someone make a lighter, better fitting rotor, it's so loose and sounds like a quarter rattling around.

Disc brake fade wouldnt be much of an issue if used as an ESC assist, and it only has to stop "once" per run just like light weight drag racing brakes for Mustangs, Novas, etc... that look like they belong on a motorcycle. I want to try to set the servo to drag the caliper lightly to assist the ESC brake If I can get the radio to, or just do it the manual way and adjust the caliper screws. I want to see what else it might be able to do.

For sliding around I think it conserves the tires instead of throttling to whip the rig around all the time.

I still wish someone make a lighter, better fitting rotor, it's so loose and sounds like a quarter rattling around.
Some Nitros use fiberglass or CF for discs. That would be quieter less noisy rattling ...and make less heat. Nitro rigs discs also float loosely on a hex drive like this HB does on the diff's rear output cup.
I would not set any drag. If your radio has Channel mixing, I would experiment with that first. Make the brake passive and modulate simultaneously with the ESC's Trigger brake. Becomes a brake assist at the rear wheels mostly. The mixing setting can set the HB endpoint and when to engage how you want it. Trial and error to fine tune the HB bias. That is much more appropriate IMO. At least for speed running. Might have to lock out Reverse depending.

Last edited:
I just test drove my infraction for the first time in months with new suspension mods, hoping for closer to smooth neutral handling. The stock config is trash to me, I tried to reference what I did to my 4tec2 suspension.

I needed the HB to upset the chassis, I pulled some smooth drifts instead of power sliding into a drift. I had the people in the McD's drive thru across the street stopping and looking.

I say the handbrake it's a great way to kill worn tires, especially with a tuned suspension.

I saw a vid for a disc upgrade on a nitro car, the aftermarket disc fit snugly compared to the stock one.

Hey, can we fit one of these, or even the new fireteam one, on a 1/8 kraton exb?? I am really digging this, but i don't really want to waste my money and then find out it is completely useles for my kraton🥲🥲

The HB just sucks. The design execution was poor at best. Just a HH/Arrma marketing thing.
Don't waste your money, time and effort on it. You are missing out on nothing. Trust me.
You can focus on other better upgrade choices with your coin.
Just me.:cool:

The HB just sucks. The design execution was poor at best. Just a HH/Arrma marketing thing.
Don't waste your money, time and effort on it. You are missing out on nothing. Trust me.
You can focus on other better upgrade choices with your coin.
Just me.:cool:
Yeah just Horizon trying to be gimmicky like Traxxas cars with the on board audio.

I don't have a Felony or Infraction, but I haven't seen a single video that someone was able to make good use out of the handbrake. In real life drift vehicles, the handbrake is used to initiate a drift. But with the Infraction and Felony, everyone drifts by simply hitting the throttle. The only use I've seen people make out of the handbrake are 180 spins, but you can do that with the ESC brake on any Arrma.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back