RCs for young kids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mud Creek RC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
Hey everyone- I know that this is a bit off topic of the forum but does anyone have recommendations for an RC that would be ok for a 3 year old to drive and grow into for a few years? Obviously, I know I can get a toy grade one from anywhere but are some toy grade ones out there better than others or maybe a low end hobby grade one that would be ok for a young kid to handle? Any insight would be great. Thanks in advance for your help!

Liquidation places are a good place to look they usually have a selection of cheap Chinese rc stuff, I’ve seen 2x 1/18 cars in one box for $20, good enough to have races with a kid.

My 7 year old has the granite 3s blx using the 50/75/100 he uses it with a 2s battery does between 50 and 75 power on skate parks and 100 across large areas , I found the shoe goo and drywall tape with the black gorilla tape on the flat bed part of the truck work great aswell he has had some major crashes and it’s not broken anywhere just worn a little on the back where the shock towers try to poke out of the body on impact

Wltoys, won't cost a lot especially if he becomes disinterested!

A 3/yo isn't going to grasp the concept of throttle and steering. Get them a toy grade car from a toy store. Once they get a feel for that, then bump them up to a cheap hobby grade rig.

A 3/yo isn't going to grasp the concept of throttle and steering. Get them a toy grade car from a toy store. Once they get a feel for that, then bump them up to a cheap hobby grade rig.
True, and cost is obviously a consideration. Problem is most toy grade models (WL toys aside) can't be repaired. You could literally break it on the first use, and that money is gone. At least with something hobby grade, it can be fixed. If your child isn't into it, upgrade it to a BLX and it's for you :) (and I acknowledge that this is not the most cost effective way to get a 3S brushless model)

True, and cost is obviously a consideration. Problem is most toy grade models (WL toys aside) can't be repaired. You could literally break it on the first use, and that money is gone. At least with something hobby grade, it can be fixed. If your child isn't into it, upgrade it to a BLX and it's for you :)
I bought a few WL toys for my grandkids but the A959 breaks every use. The plastics are super brittle and not worth buying parts for. The front shock tower and the wheel hubs are what broke often for me. I ended up getting her a Senton 3S instead and she loves it.

Not sure if you're interested in a Traxxas, but for a limited time, Bigfoot's online store has the Bigfoot edition of the Traxxas Stampede for $149. The regular price is $199. It has a training mode that can limit the speed to half of the normal and seems to work well with my 3 year old. He hasn't broken anything yet and if he does, Traxxas parts are available everywhere. It comes with everything you need, including a battery and charger. Just need 4 AAs for the transmitter.

https://bigfoot-4x4.myshopify.com/c...-red-white-blue-traxxas-r-c-rtr-free-shipping

The website shows $199 when you follow the link, but it will be $149 when you add it to your cart. Free shipping too!

B626A25A-254F-41D5-8EA1-910F7CDE9BA5.png

This guy is pretty tough and there are parts on amazon if something breaks. Research on YouTube.

My son started at 3 and half yo with several China specials off amazon. As stated, steering at first was fun, he would only change direction after bouncing off of something.

3 months later and I bought him a Senton BLX. This after going through 2 over heating Megas. Now he’s pretty damn good at it. He turned 4 and I revamped his senton. Now he’s good with that and our granite. I even let him rip on the K4s in large open areas.

Go with any of the blx models. Turn down the throttle inputs, be warned though they figure out how to turn it back up, put in a 2s battery and let him go. Take it to a few parks, soccer fields and baseball fields are a great place to start.

For a 3 yo, anything faster than walking speed will be trouble. Get them a crawler. Lots of toy grade crawlers for less than $50, or if you want a hobby grade, get either a Axial SCX24 ($120 for a small indoor crawler) or a Redcat Gen7 ($200, 1/10 scale, good for outside running).

Crawlers will be slow enough to control and let them learn how to drive, and that have enough climb-ability to not get stopped by much.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back