Kraton Read if you have any of the 6s line with stock esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashTillBroken

Very Active Member
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Coming around to lap you AGAIN….. (Oregon)
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Senton 3s
I while back i posted a solution to the flashing red light of death on the v5 version(works with many types of Esc’s) i found out why and what caused it to break the only problem is that the water proof seal on you esc near the motor wire is leaking and to make sure of it try my sparking trick or move your blue wire toward the center of the car and it should start to beep like normal and to fix this you can take an air can and dry it out then put some type of unharmful seal to stop it from happening again the reason it doesn’t work it because the blue wire it arking with the fan wire (plugged in or not) cause it to pull up the broken esc error code took many months and many burns from me being stupid of the same problem to find a proper solution (this problem also unbalances your batteries and kills cell) but now you can start to save some batteries hope arrma see‘s this and takes notes to fix this in the v6 series. Hope this helps you out.
Let me know if it doesn’t work so we can try to figure it out.
Be careful please.

HH allows HW, the OE, to produce a high percentage of poorly Potted ESC's. ( in keeping with a low pricepoint)
They are simply not WP. I don't know what the actual failure rate is. But many just don't meet IP65 certs. We end up with bad ones.
I have used silicone sealant on certain areas of these ESC's. With Mixed results. I even used thinner Silicone Conformal Coating around all the wires, to buy some time. I have dissected many bricked ones to examine. Once Corrosion gets deep within at the PCB, it is over and done unfortunately. Dead shorts usually result. Failed Mosfets, etc. No turning back unfortunately. Just takes the smallest drop of water ingress. And its over. Sometimes many packs later it will just brick on you. Seemingly out of nowhere.
But my solution is to keep them dry. I Never run in the wet.
Once potted during Manufacturing, they are are what they are. Its a one shot deal. Good ones or bad ones. IMHO.
:cool:

Last edited:
HH allows HW, the OE, to produce a high percentage of poorly Potted ESC's. ( in keeping with a low pricepoint)
They are simply not WP. I don't know what the actual failure rate is. But many just don't meet IP65 certs. We end up with bad ones.
I have used silicone sealant on certain areas of these ESC's. With Mixed results. I even used thinner Silicone Conformal Coating around all the wires, to buy some time. I have dissected many bricked ones to examine. Once Corrosion gets deep within to the PCB, it is over and done unfortunately. No turning back unfortunately.
Once potted during Manufacturing, they are are what they are. Good ones or bad ones. IMHO.
When it first happened it was something like that but after a long time i now have a reliable solution for people and helps them save 100+$

I have used silicone sealant on certain areas of these ESC's. With Mixed results. I even used thinner Silicone Conformal Coating around all the wires, to buy some time. I have dissected many bricked ones to examine. Once Corrosion gets deep within at the PCB, it is over and done unfortunately. Dead shorts usually result. Failed Mosfets, etc. No turning back unfortunately. Just takes the smallest drop of water ingress. And its over. Sometimes many packs later it will just brick on you. Seemingly out of nowhere.
Once potted during Manufacturing, they are are what they are. Its a one shot deal. Good ones or bad ones. IMHO.

I have burned through too many ESCs over the past 7 months and I agree it's due to water damage. These have been 3s ESCs to be fair but I'm sure similar applies to the 150a versions too. I'm not driving my 6s in the wet if I can help it and no hose is going near it.

^^^
These ESC's are marketted as WP, as always stated on the Box Art, but if you read the manual closely, they appear not to be, reading between the lines. A disclaimer.
That's why I also am gun shy about getting them wet.
I was once bashing in the evening, and then as the sun was setting, all the grass suddenly had tons of Grass Dew develope in minutes. How I bricked one of my ESC's. That easily it can happen. The chassis was soaked with water just from Grass Dew in minutes.
Early in RC no ESC's were WP or claimed to be. It was just common practice that you never run any RC's in the wet. I follow that rule today despite what Mfr's state. Just me. ESC's will fail at some point for many other reasons including user error. I make sure that Water wont be one reason why.
I try to remove water/moisture from that equation.
Many use silicone sprays, WD40 etc, Corrosion-X etc. to beat this. This just creates a mess. IMHO.
Don't waste your time, money and effort doing this.
Just keep your rigs dry.

Last edited:
I tried eveything to the point my esc starting smocking and making noises. I gave up after that. Mine just stopped working randomly. Happened in the middle of summer never ran on water in summer

I while back i posted a solution to the flashing red light of death on the v5 version(works with many types of Esc’s) i found out why and what caused it to break the only problem is that the water proof seal on you esc near the motor wire is leaking and to make sure of it try my sparking trick or move your blue wire toward the center of the car and it should start to beep like normal and to fix this you can take an air can and dry it out then put some type of unharmful seal to stop it from happening again the reason it doesn’t work it because the blue wire it arking with the fan wire (plugged in or not) cause it to pull up the broken esc error code took many months and many burns from me being stupid of the same problem to find a proper solution (this problem also unbalances your batteries and kills cell) but now you can start to save some batteries hope arrma see‘s this and takes notes to fix this in the v6 series. Hope this helps you out.
Let me know if it doesn’t work so we can try to figure it out.
Be careful please.
I’ve had 3 go bad on my Talion exb, but mine has never seen any moisture, I have one I need to send in right now from a warranty, but I’m going to check it tonight to see if there is any moisture in it, when I clean my cars off I used compressed air and sometimes I do see water coming out, but I do stay clear of esc, bearings, servo, and electronics box when I use compressed air. I am going to take look anyway, thanks for the heads up, I did have 2 batteries fail back to back on this esc so it seems like a very reasonable explanation. I will let you know what I find, thanks again!

I guess its luck of the draw... Ive had my notorious as a submarine(on accident) and took it thru water and mud multiple times and no problems still. Same with the 150 amp combo i took out of my felony and put in my granite.

I’ve had 3 go bad on my Talion exb, but mine has never seen any moisture, I have one I need to send in right now from a warranty, but I’m going to check it tonight to see if there is any moisture in it, when I clean my cars off I used compressed air and sometimes I do see water coming out, but I do stay clear of esc, bearings, servo, and electronics box when I use compressed air. I am going to take look anyway, thanks for the heads up, I did have 2 batteries fail back to back on this esc so it seems like a very reasonable explanation. I will let you know what I find, thanks again!
You're doing everything right.. (y) ESC's will just brick for many other reasons. Not just moisture/water. Just try to keep moisture out of the equation if possible.

And yes all air compressors can develope water in them. As the air compresses. I use an in-line Water Separator ahead of the air line hose wth my 5 gal. compressor. It helps some. Home Depot sells them. It traps moisture and water. You pay for what you get in water separators though. They have a valve to purge out moisture collected. Just some ideas.
But on very high humidity days, moisture developes even more so inside the compressor tank than on drier days.
You need to always drain the compressor tank often. It should have a drain at the bottom. Let it drain and leave open overnight or when not in use. What I do. The tank will collect as much as a quart or more of water in no time. This will also rust out the compr. tank. You can even see the water is rusty looking as the tank ages.

Last edited:
You're doing everything right.. (y) ESC's will just brick for many other reasons. Not just moisture/water. Just try to keep moisture out of the equation if possible.

And yes all air compressors can develope water in them. As the air compresses. I use an in-line Water Separator ahead of the air line hose wth my 5 gal. compressor. It helps some. Home Depot sells them. It traps moisture and water. You pay for what you get in water separators though. They have a valve to purge out moisture collected. Just some ideas.
But on very high humidity days, moisture developes even more so inside the compressor tank than on drier days.
You need to always drain the compressor tank often. It should have a drain at the bottom. Let it drain and leave open overnight or when not in use. What I do. The tank will collect as much as a quart or more of water in no time. This will also rust out the compr. tank. You can even see the water is rusty looking as the tank ages.
I have a 33 gallon craftsman compressor, it does have a water separator on it…but I haven’t drained it in months, but to be honest I do like it when it starts shooting moisture out, it’s like a pressure washer in a way.

Funny that you say that moisture helps clean, I said the same thing to myself when I use mine.:LOL: It does clean RC's.(y)
I worked in 2 auto body shops, and I learned that moisture in compressed air is for the most part bad. Ruins Air Impact tools, spray guns/tips and all. The painters there would scream all the time. It would cause paint defects. We even had an in line air drier machine, an expensive air line dehumidifier, for the painters specific air lines in the paint booth for this reason. The paint would Blush if it was sprayed with any moisture in the air lines. Needing a respray sometimes. With $10k+ whole car custom paint jobs.:( Auto paint cost a fortune. We used Spies Hecker paint and a SprayBake booth oven. I was in charge of maintaining the shop. The shop Foreman.

Funny that you say that moisture helps clean, I said the same thing to myself when I use mine.:LOL: It does clean RC's.(y)
I worked in 2 auto body shops, and I learned that moisture in compressed air is for the most part bad. Ruins Air Impact tools, spray guns/tips and all. The painters there would scream all the time. It would cause paint defects. We even had an in line air drier machine, an expensive air line dehumidifier, for the painters specific air lines in the paint booth for this reason. The paint would Blush if it was sprayed with any moisture in the air lines. Needing a respray sometimes. With $10k+ whole car custom paint jobs.:( Auto paint cost a fortune. We used Spies Hecker paint and a SprayBake booth oven. I was in charge of maintaining the shop. The shop Foreman.
I’m a fully ASE certified master technician and I know all about air tools getting ruined because of ppl not draining water out of tanks and having to get you tools rebuilt because of water or not oiling a tool due to laziness/forgetting…but the battery technology has gotten so good over the past 5 years or so that I have switched to all electric ratchets, 1/2, 3/8 impact guns, cut off wheels, and surface cleaners..now I only use air to inflate tires or blow things off so draining tanks have really slipped my mind…I have even went from nitro rc as a kid to electric because of it. Electric is the future and always was, but oil company’s paid big money to kill it. Another 30 years and I bet changing engines and transmission will be a thing of the past. At lease I hope. Hell I’m already replacing cells inside Toyotas 1-3 generation Prius battery packs, side note if you can get these hybrid packs cheap it’s a great alternative to store energy from your home’s solar panels…I gave a few to my dad to store his energy. You get a decent inverter and your in business, if you have enuf of them you can be of the grid for few days running the whole house 110/220v. This is North American I’m talking about lol you guys everywhere else are probably wondering what 110v is.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back