Real high pitch starting at 50-75% throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandracer_NL

Very Active Member
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave EXB
Few weeks ago I had a unbearable high pitch when driving at speed. Replaced the pinion, which was showing considerable wear. Noise was gone, but today it started again. Could it be that pinion and spur are to close? Looking at my spur it needs replacing as well I think ?.
Could this cause the annoying high pitch or has anyone else know a possible cause? Rolling without the motor the wheels and front/rear diff are OK.
I just adjusted the pinion a spur to give them a a bit more clearance; see pic; seems OK right?

in case anyone is wondering what the mesh is; since I decided to keep the buggy (I just like it too much ?) when the Mojave is released I gave the buggy it’s old fans back with a stainless steel mesh cover for the fan blowing on the gearing. The Mojave gets the better (High rpm) fans ? with black plastic cover on top.

CEBD91A0-0E6C-4E5C-82DC-786128DABD8C.jpeg

5B13DE3E-31F6-4A9D-926E-F272281336E2.jpeg

C87F9FD8-FF2F-4AC6-8760-D11695DCF48C.jpeg

As long as you have a slight rocking between the pinion and spur you should be ok. My spur looks like that after ~year of ownership

The noise could be anything. Most likely the steel gears or a bearing. Does it make the noise when running it on a bench or only when it's under the load of driving?

As long as you have a slight rocking between the pinion and spur you should be ok. My spur looks like that after ~year of ownership

The noise could be anything. Most likely the steel gears or a bearing. Does it make the noise when running it on a bench or only when it's under the load of driving?
After resetting the pinion to give a little bit more space (the pic shows the adjusted setting) the hight pitch was gone?.

Motor bearings would be my first thought, does the shaft have side to side play?

Motor bearings would be my first thought, does the shaft have side to side play?
Motor bearings are OK, no play in shaft. I guess the spur has some wear causing a ‘misfire’; must say I had a very heavy trigger finger this evening. Will order a new spur gear. Pinions are in my spare part tray ?

Motor bearings are OK, no play in shaft. I guess the spur has some wear causing a ‘misfire’; must say I had a very heavy trigger finger this evening. Will order a new spur gear. Pinions are in my spare part tray ?
Good luck let me know how it goes.

Good luck let me know how it goes.
Had a closer look and it seems the ’expensive’ mod1 pinion had a bit different (wider) teeth towards the shaft hole. The cheap pinion set looked more similar to the original one so thought which pinion would I miss less incase the spur would destroy it. Went for the smallest pinion, the 11T. Wow car now sounds reel smooth en runs smooth!
After 1 hour session the pinion looks very good, only small parts of the black color Where it meets the spur are now shiny silver. Apart from that no dents or nicks in the pinion.?. LHS told me teh new spur should be in end of this week.
Best part is the set of 5 pinions costs less than the one high performance hardened steel pinion that led to a lot of noise and only lasted a few batteries. Think I will buy few more pinion sets especially if they also fit a certain expected new Arrma car; won’t tell you which one, but it starts with an M...:LOL:

Had a closer look and it seems the ’expensive’ mod1 pinion had a bit different (wider) teeth towards the shaft hole. The cheap pinion set looked more similar to the original one so thought which pinion would I miss less incase the spur would destroy it. Went for the smallest pinion, the 11T. Wow car now sounds reel smooth en runs smooth!
After 1 hour session the pinion looks very good, only small parts of the black color Where it meets the spur are now shiny silver. Apart from that no dents or nicks in the pinion.?. LHS told me teh new spur should be in end of this week.
Best part is the set of 5 pinions costs less than the one high performance hardened steel pinion that led to a lot of noise and only lasted a few batteries. Think I will buy few more pinion sets especially if they also fit a certain expected new Arrma car; won’t tell you which one, but it starts with an M...:LOL:
Interesting how it worked out like that! Glad you found the solution. Damn M brand

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back