Notorious Realistic expectations on motor upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick-108

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello

Im thinking of pulling the trigger on Hobbywing 1650kv max6, upgrading from stock Notorious 6s blx. Prob run it on 16-18t.
I mostly run offroad, what are realistic expectations? Will be accelerate a lot quicker to 40 mph, will it mostly wheelie, or what kind of performance can I expect offroad before I decide to pay the price for the combo. Many thanks

its better in every single way, you also might want to go a little higher on pinion but thats just my 2 cents! Really though man, it's no comparison. Make sure you have tire glue because it will be a problem now.

Can I expect crazy acceleration off road? In comparisson w stock??
Yes, you're going to want to put heavier center diff fluid though. At least 500k imo.

I have a Castle 1717 1650 in my Kraton 6s, and keeping the front end down, on either 4s or 6s, takes good throttle control. And I'm running 300k diff fluid in the center diff and 20k/10k front/rear. Off-road, it's a beast on either dirt or grass. I don't run it on pavement because I'm afraid it will backflip and get damaged.

This is my Notorious Max6/4985 22t 6s setup a couple years ago for a no jumps realistic example of how much power is on tap in such a short wheelbase Arrma

Fast forward to 3:00 or to 5:20 when my daughter asked to drive

I’m probably going to regret this. But i didn’t enjoy the 1650 in my talion. I’m running LP backflips and plenty of m2c goodies.
The motor has insane power and torque but it’s heavy and i went through outdrives so quickly. I didn’t like the power band either. Just seemed really hard on my drivetrain.
So i went back to my trusted leopard 4282 2000kv paired with the Max 6. More then enough power, runs cool and still going strong with well over a year of consistent abuse.
Just thought I’d throw out my experience.

I have a 1717 1650kv in my outcast. I ended up running at 23t pinion and setting the punch to 50%. The lower punch, higher pinion, and throttle control should hopefully help the drivetrain last. But yea it’s crazy power.. standing backflips if you want.

This is my Notorious Max6/4985 22t 6s setup a couple years ago for a no jumps realistic example of how much power is on tap in such a short wheelbase Arrma

Fast forward to 3:00 or to 5:20 when my daughter asked to drive

Jealous of that beautiful area you have to run. Your property is the size of my whole village here in the UK. 🤣

Love the max 6/1650 in my noto. For me the rig set up is key to making it enjoyable.

I run a 1650 Max6 combo in my Kraton and frankly I don’t really enjoy it. To much power and rarely being able to use the throttle for more than 35% (ish) in order not to flip it gets old fast. Now I’ve turned the EPA down to 50% I enjoy it much more. Still more power than stock but no more flipping it unless I want to.

(Never actually driven the stock motor but somebody else was riding the stock Tallion on 6s and I thought he was on 4s).

I run a 1650 Max6 combo in my Kraton and frankly I don’t really enjoy it. To much power and rarely being able to use the throttle for more than 35% (ish) in order not to flip it gets old fast. Now I’ve turned the EPA down to 50% I enjoy it much more. Still more power than stock but no more flipping it unless I want to.

(Never actually driven the stock motor but somebody else was riding the stock Tallion on 6s and I thought he was on 4s).
This was my wife lol. She disliked it so much I got her a stock noto and took the kraton for myself. Even on 75% epa I have to really watch my throttle control in the air to not blow tires and the wifey happy with her stock noto 🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back