Notorious Really loud clicking noise but only when running with wheels on the ground

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notorious J

It's gonna break, so might as well send it!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Granite
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
So my last two times out, I've noticed a really loud clicking sound when running the truck. If I pick it up and run with the wheels in the air, everything sounds normal. The last thing I did before it started, was clean and replace the fluid in the center dif, 500k as previous. The noise didn't start immediately, but it is definitely getting louder. The truck seems to be running fine, but the sound is really loud. Since I can't get it to make the noise with the wheels in the air, I'm not sure if I should be concerned or just wait to see what happens. Pinion and spur are fine and meshed properly. I'll check the dog bones and driveshafts tonight. The center dif is an aluminum HR cup. Just can't figure out why it only does it with wheels on the ground.

Sounds like it may be skipping a tooth on one of the ring gears.

Does it sound like this?
Exactly! Gonna check both now. Thanks @Mr.Duke
Sounds like it may be skipping a tooth on one of the ring gears.

Does it sound like this?
Bam! Couple of teeth worn down pretty bad in the rear. Thanks again @Mr.Duke, saved me a lot of time and trouble.

Last edited:
My dam Noto is doing this after I upped the punch to 9 and beat it up in the yard more than ever. I'm gonna have to fix mine too. I should motivate this weekend and just do it. /kicking myself in the back side.
I think I saved that cool diff fluid calculator and glad it was posted. I should do a bunch when it's apart and maybe get on a roll. ???

The gear in the rear dif was pretty bad. One tooth was down about 75% and the two on either side were around 50%. Couple of others looked lightly worn. Had to take a close look at the pinion too, but look to be in good shape. With the JBI shock towers, it takes a little more work to get the covers off, so tonight I only did the rear. Cleaned things up, put new oil in the shocks, changed a hinge pin and gave everything else a once over. If it still makes the noise on the next run, front will come apart on the weekend. ?✌

While we're on this subject is there an aftermarket input and ring gear for the F/R diffs?
I had to replace a couple on my Kraton and Noto recently. Does Tekno make one that can replace Arrma or is stock the only replacement?

While we're on this subject is there an aftermarket input and ring gear for the F/R diffs?
I had to replace a couple on my Kraton and Noto recently. Does Tekno make one that can replace Arrma or is stock the only replacement?

Yeah wondering that too...

Hey jay have you put that 0.3 extra shim on the outside of the diff i found that even with a couple of worn teeth it kept the mesh tight enough to not click and work without issue ?? hope this helps mate
I do believe GPM make an aftermarket one as to weather they are any good I've not heard of anyone trying these, I've found putting an extra shim on the outside of the crown gear has increased life on the stock ones ??

Last edited:
My dam Noto is doing this after I upped the punch to 9 and beat it up in the yard more than ever. I'm gonna have to fix mine too. I should motivate this weekend and just do it. /kicking myself in the back side.
I think I saved that cool diff fluid calculator and glad it was posted. I should do a bunch when it's apart and maybe get on a roll. ???
Yeah punch 9 messed up 3 of my gears. But my switch is broken so I can’t reduce it.

Hey jay have you put that 0.3 extra shim on the outside of the diff i found that even with a couple of worn teeth it kept the mesh tight enough to not click and work without issue ?? hope this helps mate

I do believe GPM make an aftermarket one as to weather they are any good I've not heard of anyone trying these, I've found putting an extra shim on the outside of the crown gear has increased life on the stock ones ??
I've had a shim on the outside of the bearing since the beginning. Like @Mr.Duke thought, there were some pretty gnarled teeth on that ring gear. Like you in the UK, we have Jennys, so I happen to have a lot of dif parts sitting on my bench. No big deal throwing in a better one. Thanks for the tip though. Wonder if it's more expensive for a Canadian to buy from an American kit breaker or a UK kit breaker. Things that make you go hmmmm???
Yeah punch 9 messed up 3 of my gears. But my switch is broken so I can’t reduce it.
Somebody posted somewhere in the electronics section, that there is a program card that might help here. The BLX 185 is a rebranded something, so if you read up and find out which one, you might be able to get back into those settings.

This program card works on the V3 esc as to the V4 I'm unsure

Attachments

• 15641443649151068612253122029719.jpg
    15641443649151068612253122029719.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 44
I think the outside ring gear shim or shims are the most important.
I have two in there now. No binding and smooth as butter. If it has any adverse effects, I'll post the results.

I have two in there now. No binding and smooth as butter. If it has any adverse effects, I'll post the results.
I've had as many as 3. You should be good to go ??

Putting that little tiny shim in really does proling life mate I can't stress that enough! ?
I've had as many as 3. You should be good to go ??
Never run 3 i have to say

The famous WTFMIKE sound as of late lol. The PAC-MAN edition Outcast because it’s constantly eating diffs. Lower that punch damn it ?. She’s still a champ though ?.

Last edited:

Me to ! After i upped the punch to 9 i always kill diff ! 3 this week end ??

Fresh rebuild of a center diff can be hard on the front and rear as well. Especially when running thicker fluid.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back