Typhon Rear diff binds when I tighten the diff cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
Typhon TLR. The rear diff is butter smooth until I tighten the diff cover and then there is some resistance. It seems like it only binds at one spot on a full turn but the gears all look good.

The binding isn't super bad but might be enough to affect center diff action.

Any ideas?

Overtightened? If not, it's an assembly or shim issue. Did you install new O-rings?

There were no shims. I muscled one in opposite the ring gear and it made the problem much worse.

Anything else I can try?

You prolly screwed the cover on too tight im guessing!
I also thought this might be the case. But if I loosen the screws enough to fix the problem, there’s a visible gap between the bulkhead and diff cover. Not going to work.
Overtightened? If not, it's an assembly or shim issue. Did you install new O-rings?
Are you talking about the o-rings inside the diff? No I didn’t install new ones.

Last edited:
Picture 1 shows where I added a shim and it made the binding worse (lot of consistent resistance).

Picture 2 shows the input gear and casing. Everything looks fine as far as I can tell.

Pictures 3-5 have no shim installed and it mostly rolls smoothly except for one part of a turn where it gets stuck.

IMG_5729.jpeg

IMG_5730.jpeg

IMG_5728.jpeg

IMG_5727.jpeg

IMG_5726.jpeg

Alright the problem is fixed. The mesh was clearly too tight with no shims, and adding a shim opposite the ring gear just made the overall fitment too snug. There just wasn't enough room for a shim.

So I shaved the plastic down where the bearing touches the bulkhead (red circle below). I also shaved the diff cover at the same spot. I had to make room to push the ring gear farther left.

Then I added a shim opposite the ring gear and now it fit much better. Still allowed smooth movement. And no more binding.

Figured I'd share in case anyone else runs into the problem.

IMG_5730.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back