Outcast Rear diff Case tabs busted, gasket gone!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aametzger

TORTURED RC
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Mojave
  3. Outcast 8s
During the rebuild/ reassembly of my Outcast 8s with the m2c chassis, I noticed some dirt and sand in the rear gearbox housing so I decided to pull the diff and clean the case out real good. When I pulled out the diff I noticed some leaking around the screws. I decided to see how tight the screws were and possibly look inside the diff if the screws came out easy. They were actually pretty loose! I pulled them out and looked at the diff, and surprisingly I didn't see a gasket. Looking closer I found small pieces of gasket mixed all in the diff - not enough to account for the whole gasket, so the rest must have gotten pureed :unsure: . I began to break the diff down and clean it out, and then noticed that the 4 little nipples or tabs that are part of the diff case were all snapped off. It threw me off at first because my 6s does not have this design, but basically there are little round pins that are part of the diff case and they go through holes beside the screw holes in the metal ring gear/diff lid. I guess the screws were loose or came loose and then snapped the pins in the case. Well I thought I was going to have my outcast back together this weekend but unless my LHS has a diff case in stock it will probably be next weekend before its back up and running:cry:.

I just wanted to give others a heads up, as technically it was still operating this way but likely would have loosened enough eventually and ate all my diff gears :oops:

Mine have been doing that from Day 1. Cheap plastic diff cases. The screws loosen up because even gel locktite won't keep them tight. Your ring gear shits with torque and sheers off the dowels on the case while chewing up your gasket. Arrmas biggest weakness on their 8s vehicles and it only gets worse when upgrading power. You can slow it down possibly by installing small countersunk star washers on the 4 chrome chrome diff screws but it doesn't stop completely. Mine is officially parked till my pre-ordered aluminum diff cups arrive. Sorry mang.

Mine have been doing that from Day 1. Cheap plastic diff cases. The screws loosen up because even gel locktite won't keep them tight. Your ring gear shits with torque and sheers off the dowels on the case while chewing up your gasket. Arrmas biggest weakness on their 8s vehicles and it only gets worse when upgrading power. You can slow it down possibly by installing small countersunk star washers on the 4 chrome chrome diff screws but it doesn't stop completely. Mine is officially parked till my pre-ordered aluminum diff cups arrive. Sorry mang.
Thanks for the info. I searched the forum before posting and didn't see anything but then after I posted I saw people talking about that happening in the 8s hopup post. I am stock electronics for now, so have ordered a new case from my lhs. I guess I should pull my front diff and have a look at it too. thanks again @Tigertank0605

The screws backed out on my rear diff case. Chewed up the diff case and diff housing. It’s back together with a plastic diff case. However, I’m planning to replace it with aluminum diff case ARA310975

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back