Granite Rear diff gone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwatchTV

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Stupidly put my truck in what I thought was the trusty hands of my brother in law this afternoon. He landed the truck on it roof and asked 'does it self-correct?' Before i had chance to answer he went and did it.

I don't know if this is whats caused my problem but the car immediately started making and horrendous screeching noise from the rear.

I thiught it may be the slipper, but checked and that seems OK.

So is it likely to be the diff on the way out?

To be honest, despite the noise the car goes fine, and only makes the noise when on low throttle.

Any advice appreciated :)

Should also add ive tried holding the front wheels and the pushing along put car doesn't go anywhere. Tried same holding the back as well.

Perhaps a bad bearing? Shouldn't be though, only changed them couple weeks ago

Last edited:
I've blown out 5 or 6 rear diffs.it was always skipping teeth sound.stripping ring an pinion sound
At heavy throttle if it's not skipping gear I think its something else.sounds like its binding in my opinion.

I've got to install a new rear shock tower at some point so will take it apart and have a look same time.

Hopefully something simple

Stupidly put my truck in what I thought was the trusty hands of my brother in law this afternoon. He landed the truck on it roof and asked 'does it self-correct?' Before i had chance to answer he went and did it.

I don't know if this is whats caused my problem but the car immediately started making and horrendous screeching noise from the rear.

I thiught it may be the slipper, but checked and that seems OK.

So is it likely to be the diff on the way out?

To be honest, despite the noise the car goes fine, and only makes the noise when on low throttle.

Any advice appreciated :)

Should also add ive tried holding the front wheels and the pushing along put car doesn't go anywhere. Tried same holding the back as well.

Perhaps a bad bearing? Shouldn't be though, only changed them couple weeks ago
I would pull driveshaft first an see if its even binding in the rear.looked like yourrearend was webble-wobbleing bad like something got bent.

I would pull driveshaft first an see if its even binding in the rear.looked like yourrearend was webble-wobbleing bad like something got bent.
Sounds like a plan. Will give it a go.

Also does self righting the car cause strain on the diff?

I don't like doing it anyway as ripped a tyre doing it once. Plus I don't like doing it round my place as it sends stones flying

Last edited:
Did u pull out power module??pull motor an see if input shaft to rear end spins freely.if not pull diff.could just be a bearing or diff has no more fluid in it.

16012319262686072498976965993870.jpg

I’d put my money on pinion and spur gear mesh as it sounds way too tight.

Motor mount might be bent check for the gearmesh im sure at 99% thats the issue
Sorry to sound thick, but not sure what you mean.

Have pulled motor and sound is still there. Removed slipper and motor itself sounds fine.

Did u pull out power module??pull motor an see if input shaft to rear end spins freely.if not pull diff.could just be a bearing or diff has no more fluid in it.

View attachment 101981
Yeah tried that and it does spin freely
I’d put my money on pinion and spur gear mesh as it sounds way too tight.
How do I change this?

Last edited:
If you pulled motor an spur an truck rolls smoothly its in motor module,like others said mesh to tight(gears bound together to tight)do you have fixed motor mount or adjustable motor mount??

Sorry to sound thick, but not sure what you mean.

Have pulled motor and sound is still there. Removed slipper and motor itself sounds fine.

Yeah tried that and it does spin freely

How do I change this?
When we say gear mesh there should be a tiny amount of play between the spur gear and motor. Does the car roll freely with the motor module out?

Of your ring and pinion it's all good you came out like a fat rat cuz having to change them gears and swapped everything and put all new fluid in as a pain in the ass.hard to find that ring an pinion right now too

When we say gear mesh there should be a tiny amount of play between the spur gear and motor. Does the car roll freely with the motor module out?
Yeah car rolls freely.

This is what inside of motor mount looks like. I think that yes its too tight between pinion and slipper. Is there any remedy for this or just buy new motor mount.

Don't even know what I would of done to cause it.

Check bearing on motor where shaft comes out ,should have zero play.those motors eat bearing. Bad pinion mesh will destroy bearings in a motor also

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back