Big Rock Rear diff replacement - smooth running or tight diff case....but not both

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha i figured out the same thing yesterday when checking my granite mega diffs.
It was not spinning smooth and i was like checking al the teeth over and over i was almost getting crazy i couldn't find anything.
Then after some beers i finaly saw the spots on the cups.
All well in the end :D

Haha i figured out the same thing yesterday when checking my granite mega diffs.
It was not spinning smooth and i was like checking al the teeth over and over i was almost getting crazy i couldn't find anything.
Then after some beers i finaly saw the spots on the cups.
All well in the end :D
Its definitely the beers that fixed the problem 👌😉

Im gona try that too! Thx guys, this was so helpfull.

So, a quick conclusion to this thread. Thanks SO much for all the inputs and advice.
I hope this will help many existing and future owners of 3S Arrmas.

In the end what worked for me was simply going back to my original Diff yoke and the reason that worked was all down to minor production tolerances and finish in the ABS construction. To put it simply, if youve checked everything else, it could just be that the yoke isnt perfectly machined and when you tighten it to the degree that you "feel you ought to", it starts catching.
If that happens, loosen the screws a bit and try again. If you're having to loosen them more than you feel comfortable with, try another yoke - theyre very cheap and widely available. It will almost certainly be better.

Hy guys, i tried all the hinds you gave. But nothing helped. I even changed all the parts. Yokes, Diff case, input gear, ball bearings. Added some shims too. But still grinding. I don't know what to do?!
What can be the Problem?

Last edited:
Hy guys, i tried all the hinds you gave. But nothing helped. I even changed all the parts. Yokes, Diff case, input gear, ball bearings. Added some shims too. But still grinding. I don't know what to do?!
What can be the Problem?
Try taking all the shims out. Try only tightening the yoke a little at a time and see where you need to stop to keep it smooth. You don’t need to crank them down.

You can always do what I did first and have the yoke a bit loose but loctite the yoke case screws to give you some extra peace of mind. Plus, The yoke sits inside a whole other structure in the car to stop it moving around so it’s not going anywhere.

You can always do what I did first and have the yoke a bit loose but loctite the yoke case screws to give you some extra peace of mind. Plus, The yoke sits inside a whole other structure in the car to stop it moving around so it’s not going anywhere.
Unless you have metal yokes, don’t use loctite. Never use loctite on plastic. It degrades it and doesn’t make your screws hold any better.

Awesome. Thanks guys. Learning every day !

Sadly, weather was no good on Father's day (today) in the UK Midlands, for proper RC fun...... so me and the kids took 3 RCs for a trot/rip round the block. Anyone else do that kind of thing just in order to "get out of the house" ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back