Senton Rear Gearbox Replacement and Oil/Silicon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

th.son

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Hi,

I apologize if this has been asked 100 times.

I am replacing the rear gearbox/shock tower (stock) on my Senton 3S BLX. When I took the rear gear box apart I noticed that the top part has a bit of oil/silicon in it. I am not sure if it is placed there intentionally or if it gets sprayed up there as the gears turn.

I have a few questions regarding this:
  • When I replace this piece, do I place a bit of oil/silicon in the top part of the gearbox?
  • In the Senton, is gearbox filled with oil or silicon? Based on what I am seeing in the forums, I see some references to oil and some to silicon.
    • For now, I will probably just stay with the stock weight (I hope I am saying that properly).
Since I have the gearbox apart, is there anything I should or could do? I checked the gears, they appear to be in good condition (the truck is still new).

Any advise would be welcome.

Cheers

Hi there. It slings off the gear. It's either silicone oil or grease. Pop it open and see. Majority of us use silicone oil so we're can choose the weight we would like too use. I believe grease is only equivalent to like 1k silicone.

Are you talking about the diff yoke or inside the actual diff case?

Inside the yoke is usually white grease. Inside the diff is 10k silicone.

Hey,

Sorry for my delayed response.

I am not entirely sure what I am talking about. I may have used the wrong terminology. I will include a picture of what I am referring to.
It is basic the bottom part of the body mount housing.
The top piece is the bottom of the housing, the bottom picture is the top piece of the housing. This is on the rear of the truck.

Hey,

Sorry for my delayed response.

I am not entirely sure what I am talking about. I may have used the wrong terminology. I will include a picture of what I am referring to.
It is basic the bottom part of the body mount housing.
The top piece is the bottom of the housing, the bottom picture is the top piece of the housing. This is on the rear of the truck.
View attachment 40196View attachment 40197
The housing is called the yoke.

Grease on the outside/gear... Silicone inside the differential itself. Some people do grease the housing around the seals where the top and bottom connect and the chassis where it sits in to help prevent sand from getting in.

The housing is called the yoke.

Thank you! I had no idea. Much appreciated.

Grease on the outside/gear... Silicone inside the differential itself. Some people do grease the housing around the seals where the top and bottom connect and the chassis where it sits in to help prevent sand from getting in.

Any suggestions on the kind of silicone?

Thank you! I had no idea. Much appreciated.

Any suggestions on the kind of silicone?
Stock diff fluid is 10K silicon. You can play around with the weight if desired. Lower weight will give you more differential between left and right. Heavier weight will give less difference, more like posi-traction. Depending on how and where you drive, you may tend to want one over the other. Straight line speed guys want heavy weight fluid to lock the rear end. Track guys want lower weight fluid to help steer through turns. It’s a personal choice to be made.

Stock diff fluid is 10K silicon. You can play around with the weight if desired. Lower weight will give you more differential between left and right. Heavier weight will give less difference, more like posi-traction. Depending on how and where you drive, you may tend to want one over the other. Straight line speed guys want heavy weight fluid to lock the rear end. Track guys want lower weight fluid to help steer through turns. It’s a personal choice to be made.

Thank you for this explanation! Very helpful. Luckily, I didn't have to add any oil. I don't think I am quite ready to make decisions on oils. But I will need to start to understand it as I have a feeling I am going to need the knowledge in the future!

I use team associated silicone differential oil. Your gonna have to do some research to choose what weight of fluid your going to want to use. There are many many posts about diff fluid.

I think I saw the Team Associated Silicone Diff Oil on my local hobby shops website. I will definitely have to do more reading on this topic. Luckily I didn't end up having to add anything!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back