Typhon Rear hub bearings premature failure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilted

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
I bought my V5 Typhon a few months back and have only ran it for three battery packs, all 4S LiPo.

The first run was on a asphalt driveway, second run was the same location but with on-road tyres and the third run was five minutes on speed runs on 4S still.

I took the rear hubs apart yesterday just to check things and one side is really gritty and does not rotate freely. I took the bearings out and blasted them with some bearing cleaner and then lightly oiled them but they still felt gritty and would not spin freely, especially once the 17mm hex hub and through axle pin where located and tightened. I only had the smaller bearing size on hand to swap out but it was still bad, so I'm assuming its the larger inner bearing that is at fault? I was also thinking it might be a badly moulded rear hub or axle as it seems worse once the 17mm hex hub and pin are in and secured?

I replaced ARA610037 BALL BEARING 8x16x5mm (2RS) but do not have a spare currently of the ARA610038 BALL BEARING 15x21x4mm (2RS).

This is my first Arrma, so apologises if this is common occurrence. Seems pretty poor that one or more bearings are failing after less than 45 minutes of use on generally clean surfaces and all on-road, no jumps or particular dirty environments. Maybe it's just bad luck. The other side is fine at the moment though.

One of those same bearings seized up after a few runs in my Typhon 3S, and the others are feeling rather gritty as well. In my case, though, it was clearly a simple case of corrosion: I failed to properly dry the hubs after running in snow and wet grass, and at this point there's visible rust on the outer rings.

It doesn't sound like you ran them in similarly wet conditions though, so that is rather disappointing.

Get on Youtube and look up "Cleaning RC Bearings" use oil or grease depending on your application

Last edited:
I bought my V5 Typhon a few months back and have only ran it for three battery packs, all 4S LiPo.

The first run was on a asphalt driveway, second run was the same location but with on-road tyres and the third run was five minutes on speed runs on 4S still.

I took the rear hubs apart yesterday just to check things and one side is really gritty and does not rotate freely. I took the bearings out and blasted them with some bearing cleaner and then lightly oiled them but they still felt gritty and would not spin freely, especially once the 17mm hex hub and through axle pin where located and tightened. I only had the smaller bearing size on hand to swap out but it was still bad, so I'm assuming its the larger inner bearing that is at fault? I was also thinking it might be a badly moulded rear hub or axle as it seems worse once the 17mm hex hub and pin are in and secured?

I replaced ARA610037 BALL BEARING 8x16x5mm (2RS) but do not have a spare currently of the ARA610038 BALL BEARING 15x21x4mm (2RS).

This is my first Arrma, so apologises if this is common occurrence. Seems pretty poor that one or more bearings are failing after less than 45 minutes of use on generally clean surfaces and all on-road, no jumps or particular dirty environments. Maybe it's just bad luck. The other side is fine at the moment though.
That is not normal. You either got a bad bearing from the factory, or it got put away wet. Either way, it’s part of the hobby.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back